Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quickest broadband in Leixlip?

Options
  • 25-08-2009 4:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi,
    Whats the quickest broadband / internet connection available to Leixlip.

I recently moved to Leixlip and Eircom tested my line telephone line and said max I can get is 1Mb.
    This is really low and I want to be able to watch films and IM and play games on line.
    Eircom said it was low because the line had not been upgraded in a long time and this was probably due to the fact that the telepone line was disconnected some time ago (it was a second hand house I moved into and previous owners had disconnected phone line).
    Also, Eircom could not commit to when the line would be upgraded and there by allowing me a better service.

Rachel.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

RachelT wrote: »
    Also, Eircom could not commit to when the line would be upgraded and there by allowing me a better service.

eircom will never do anything with the line, so don't be holding out for that at all. If your line works for voice, that's where eircom's responsibility ends.

Is UPC, Digiweb Metro, or Imagine Breeze available to you? None of them use the phone line, and you should be able to get better speeds. UPC do up to 20Mbps, Digiweb do around 8Mbps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Vertakill

I'm in Leixlip and I have 7.6mb from eircom without any problem. Most of my mates are on 7 or 7.6 as well and there's plenty of people on boards here that are on similar connections from Leixlip.

There's really no reason why you shouldn't be able to get at least 3mb unless there's been wildlife chewing on your lines or something equally as dramatic.

My brother is living in the ar5ehole of nowhere in Trim and he has 3mb and you'd barely think they would have electricity in the area let alone broadband.

The exchange is up by Colaiste Chiarain, the nearer you are to it the better.

UPC's not available in (most parts of?) Leixlip. I can enter my phone number in their broadband availability section on UPC.ie and it gives me the all green, but after I ordered it they emailed me back saying that it wasn't available to me...?
    I would imagine Digiweb Metro and Imagine Breeze are out of the question if the OP wants to play games online.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭GavinJCD

UPC is pretty decent if you can get it, I live in Leixlip and I have the 20 meg and it's just fine. Things like torrents do tend to get throttled at peak hours which is one thing I'm not mad about, but other than that it's ok.

Can't speak for any of the other carriers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Vertakill wrote: »
    There's really no reason why you shouldn't be able to get at least 3mb unless there's been wildlife chewing on your lines or something equally as dramatic.

Line length is the biggest reason why it wouldn't work. If eircom are saying the line can only do 1Mbps, then that's realistically all that the OP will get.
    Vertakill wrote: »
    I would imagine Digiweb Metro and Imagine Breeze are out of the question if the OP wants to play games online.

Metro is excellent for gaming, as it has pings in the order of 20-30ms typically. I think Breeze is a little poorer, but still should be fine for gaming. Ripwave on the other hand, would be no good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 RachelT

Thanks a million all.
    Have a good feel for what I should do now.:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement