Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slow Moving Traffic Survey

Options
  • 25-08-2009 4:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭

Can anyone shed any light on this? I have seen this 'slow moving traffic survey'/'slow moving survey' mentioned on AA Roadwatch many times over the last few months. What are they surveying? The survey seems to be making its way around the country.
    *N24/TIPPERARY* The slow moving survey is continuing now along the N24 from Tipperary town to Limerick. Expect some delays.

I'm curious..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

KevR wrote: »
    Can anyone shed any light on this? I have seen this 'slow moving traffic survey'/'slow moving survey' mentioned on AA Roadwatch many times over the last few months. What are they surveying? The survey seems to be making its way around the country.

I'm curious..

Two possibilities spring to mind here . . .
    1) they are surveying traffic that is moving slowly
    2) they are surveying traffic that moves at any speed but they are moving slowly around the country while doing it - it's 'slow moving'.

Neither of these help mindy you.

z

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

3 they are surveying the road not the traffic

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

zagmund wrote: »
    1) they are surveying traffic that is moving slowly

I can't see it being that because they say "expect delays" so the survey itself must be slow moving and causing delays. If it was a survey of traffic that is moving slowly there wouldn't be any additional delays (apart from the delay that slow moving traffic usually causes).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭The Word Is Bor

corktina wrote: »
    3 they are surveying the road not the traffic

Possibly Falling Weight Deflectometer (FWD) analysis combined with a Pavement Condition Index (PCI)) using video cameras.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Had them in Letterkenny a few months back..basically they were stopping drivers and I'm guessing surveying them. They also set up some sort of wire thing across different streets, cars would drive over them so Im guessing they were a way of measuring traffic volume

Didn't add any delays though so I'm guessing its just got to do with stopping motorists..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

They must be stopping people and asking them what their destination is and the like.

Those wires across the road just count traffic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

KevR wrote: »
    They must be stopping people and asking them what their destination is and the like.

Those wires across the road just count traffic.

I was directed to one of these surveys by the Garda who was directing so many cars into the fast lane on the N7 a few weeks ago.

The quesions were basic:
    Where was I going
    Where was I driving from
    Why
    How reguraly do I drive this route

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭cargo

IIRC this traffic announcment from AA / Radio alerts often mentions that it's a "Bord Gais" survey.

If you keep an eye out you may spot a (or possibly several) Ford Transit Connects with the back all covered in safety sinage and "Warning Slow Moving Survey Vehicle" across the back as well. It has some sort of bar across the front bumper near the road with a motor or something at the ends. (It looks like a sprinkler bar mounted on the front)

I presume this van drives along roads either to be dug up for pipelaying, to give geo data in advance or else roads which already have pipes laid, checking for leaks etc..

Advertisement