Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Sony Reader ...what to do?

Options
  • 25-08-2009 4:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭

So, Sony have just today released details of the Sony "Daily Edition" reader (http://www.engadget.com/2009/08/25/sony-announces-daily-edition-reader/)

My dilemma is this ... as I don't have an e-reader yet I was hanging out for this one...but it won't be released till December.

A friend of mine is travelling to the US next week and I was going to ask her to get me a PRS505, but now I see the Daily Edition Reader do you think I should wait for it or do you think I'd be better off (given the not so hot first hands on for the PRS600, contrast issues, spongy screen, glarey screen) just getting the good old reliable PRS505?!!

Opinions appreciated !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,081 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I wouldn't be buying any e-reader until after Apple's rumored tablet device is released.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I can imagine it might take a while before you could buy an Irish model with that data connectivity. Those personal browser devices with built in 3g chips etc don't seem to make it across here that often.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,081 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

eoin wrote: »
    I can imagine it might take a while before you could buy an Irish model with that data connectivity. Those personal browser devices with built in 3g chips etc don't seem to make it across here that often.

Are you referring to the iPhone 3G/s?

No, I mean devices that use SIM cards but aren't actually phones. I think I saw one on one of the UK gadget sites a while ago - it was like a tiny handheld PC with an email program and internet browser. Or the new Amazon Kindle that allows you to download books directly to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ElNino

cnocbui wrote: »
    Are you referring to the iPhone 3G/s?

I assume that he is referring to Amazon's Kindle which using 3G for downloading books in the US. Amazon are rumoured to be in talks with UK mobile phone companies about launching in the UK before Christmas. If that happens it could be launched here at the same time if Vodafone or O2 are the chosen wireless vendors.

The screen size on the new Sony Ereaders is the same as the current ones so apart from having larger capacity there isn't really much difference. If you do don't use PDFs or MP3s then capacity isn't really an issue. I have over 250 books on my PRS-505 and I still have have 50mb free.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭butts

MobileTechReview has a good video review of the PRS-600. The reviewer seems to think its solves most of the problems that the PRS-700 had. Not sure when the PRS-600 will be made available here but I would prefer it to the PRS-505:

http://www.mobiletechreview.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=34238

Cool - annotations and all that are completely wasted on me, but I'm sure it's really useful to lots of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

I got the PRS-700 in New York last year and that screen glare is annoying. Constantly haveing to move it to get decent reading. The LED lights are handy for reading in bed when the other half is asleep.

Id be tempted to pick up the 600 but might hold off till teh new model comes in December and see if I can get a hold of one. The slightly bigger display appeals to me more.

Wonder will they allow a trade in option on the 700 :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

cnocbui wrote: »
    I wouldn't be buying any e-reader until after Apple's rumored tablet device is released.

Why? There's been zero reports that Apple are readying an e-ink display device, which are absolutely essential for this type of device. It's the equivalent of telling someone to hold off buying a tv because a new ipod is coming - sure you can watch movies on both, but one would be a miserable experience in comparison to the other. They're totally separate products.

Wouldn't touch the 600 after seeing this; new features are nice, but an e-reader lives or dies by the quality of it's display.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/08/24/video-sony-prs-600-touch-is-fast-but-too-dim-to-satisfy-prs-505/

Oafley, now that quite a few members on mobileread.com have got their hands on the PRS-600 the general consensus is that the screen is a big improvement over the PRS-700. See the attached pics in the following link for a good comparison (not sure if you need to register):

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54728

Also, another British video review of Sony’s new eink readers. Reviewer says they will be available in the UK in September:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NJ2ptJk_Ik

• Advertisement

butts wrote: »
    Oafley, now that quite a few members on mobileread.com have got their hands on the PRS-600 the general consensus is that the screen is a big improvement over the PRS-700. See the attached pics in the following link for a good comparison (not sure if you need to register):

The PRS-700 screen was terrible though.

In terms of screen quality: PRS-505>PRS-600>PRS-700

The PRS-700 screen was terrible though.

In terms of screen quality: PRS-505>PRS-600>PRS-700

Fair enough, but if you were to grade the screens it might be something like:
    PRS-505 – Excellent
    PRS-600 – Very Good
    PRS-700 – Poor

The point been that most people will find the PRS-600 good enough and it really just boils down to whether or not the extra features are worth the premium (I’d guess €70 to €80). The answer to that depends on how you will be using the reader. For academic material and reference books / manuals, easy searching, highlighting and annotations would be very useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Dermoth

Got one in the US. Went with the Touch. Will let you know how it is when I get next week. Also a big Apple fan. But the tablet won't have the e-ink so there was no point in waiting. I'm pretty certain it will be a based around the web and music as opposed to eBooks.

BTW - WH Smiths online have them at a cheaper price than the US models - £219GBP for the reader versus $299US or £249 from Waterstones. Come out later this month.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭IrishPhoenix

WH Smith won't deliver to Ireland

Got my PRS-600 on Friday. They are out for sale in Heathrow now and I think the price is less than I paid for the US - in case anyone is passing through T5. There is some glare but all in all, I'm delighted with it.
    I downloaded the software to my Mac first and set it up with the US site to get the books form the E-Store. Then you can have the pick of the US store or the pricey Waterstones on. For example - Damned United is not available on the US Site, so you can pick up from the UK website.

The PRS-505 available for €180 until midnight sunday 13th Sept. from Powercity:

http://www.powercity.ie/?par=20-12-PRS505

Likewise, they are offering the PRS-600 for €260 (doesn't say when they will actually get them in):

http://www.powercity.ie/?par=20-12-RS600B

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭center15

I'm thinking of getting the 505 or else the 600 touch. I think the touch would be great and the ability to ad notes would be nice. Does anyone think the 505 is bit outdated now?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,283 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

butts wrote: »
    The PRS-505 available for €180 until midnight sunday 13th Sept. from Powercity:

http://www.powercity.ie/?par=20-12-PRS505

Likewise, they are offering the PRS-600 for €260 (doesn't say when they will actually get them in):

http://www.powercity.ie/?par=20-12-RS600B

prs-600 seems to be in stock now for 271€

center15 wrote: »
    I'm thinking of getting the 505 or else the 600 touch. I think the touch would be great and the ability to ad notes would be nice. Does anyone think the 505 is bit outdated now?

Finally got to see the PRS600 in the flesh and it's a big improvement over the 700, still there is a bit of glare thanks to the touchscreen layer. If you need to add notes then go for the 600 - otherwise the touch screen is an unnecessary gimmick, who wants to smudge the area they're reading when a button will do the trick? - but for me the quality of the screen is the most important aspect and for that the 505 can't be beaten.

• Advertisement

Saw the new models in the sony centre, (prices I think €220 and €320)
    Powercity seem to have the new models too
    Bigger screen and touch screen pretty nice

prs-600 seems to be in stock now for 271€

Gone upto €278 now :(

center15 wrote: »
    Gone upto €278 now :(

wonder did i make a mistake with the price, still 42€ cheaper than the sony shop

wonder did i make a mistake with the price, still 42€ cheaper than the sony shop

Nope you were right when you posted it because I checked the price also. I wonder where the best place to pick this up is. I think it may be play.com if you have someone to post it to the UK. I've decided to go for the 600 over the 505 based on this review. The touch screen just works too well. www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWl60GNcQIw

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭viv.ie

Just got the touch model this morning for e250 in Powercity,just mention the online price and you can get it in store for e250 instead of the marked price of e280.By the way wicked piece of kit.

I picked this up from WHSmith online while in the UK for £220, it's really great I love it, PDF's work well but ePub is the way to go. Also writing on the touch screen is really cool!

The glare from the screen isn't bad at all and you totally forget it's a screen sometimes, I've tried to turn the eReader thinking it was a page out of habit a number of times. I'd recommend picking up the Leather case for it also makes it much nicer to hold. The PRS-505 leather case will worth with it also.

Advertisement