Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rude?

• 25-08-2009 4:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭

I was recently on a night out in Cork.
    Went up to the DJ in a pub/club and wanted him to play some stone roses, as you do.
    Now, the music was blaring and he had headphones on so I typed the request into my phone and showed it to him.
    Then he nearly had a fit and said that I should have spoken to him.
    I told him that the music was awfully loud and reminded him that he was wearing headphones.
    He said its the rudest thing that I could have done. :confused:

Anyway, he ended up playing the Stone Roses and then he shook my hand after and apologised.

I just wanted to get an idea from the DJs on here.
    Was it rude?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 359 ✭✭t0mm

I'd say its more of a curtisy thing than a DJ etiquete thing, like you wouldn't write something on your phone, then show it to your friends if you wanted to talk to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

If you made no conact with him prior to holding up your phone and then criticised the volume levels then thats a bit rude. If you were telling a dance dj to play indie then see here http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055659874.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

Daroxtar wrote: »
    If you made no conact with him prior to holding up your phone and then criticised the volume levels then thats a bit rude. If you were telling a dance dj to play indie then see here http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055659874.

Sorry should have phrased that better. I didnt give about the volume levels. I just said that it was to loud to shout out my request to him.
    Also, it was an indie venue.

One things for sure. I'll make sure to ask for requests verbally in future. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Ha ha ha, i did that at Scruff about a year ago, just typed him a message on the phone and held it up for him to have a read ( it was just after he dropped this massive dubstep number into his mix out of nowhere ) and he got a great buzz of it. Ended up having a great chat with him after the gig.

I think it's horses for courses mate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 749 ✭✭✭SteveDon

Depends what kinda of dj it is, if its just some club where all types of music are played then its grand i suppose, but if the dj is playing strictly down the line techno or any kind of mixable dance music for that matter its definitely a no.

I remember playing an advent track once and some girl came up to me and asked me to play mgmt, told her to **** off and die!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

Have to agree , if your mixing and some drunken knob comes up looking for a stupid request that dose not fit into your set.

some of the best ones, hey Mr dj play lady ga ga next
    Me: No im not a f****g juke box.

customer, we are leaving now will you play lady ga ga
    and they are still in the club an hour later

Customer: Hey im a dj as well can I bring in the next tune

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭franklyshocked

Its not the rudest thing I've ever heard and he might have over reacted a little.
    I HATE getting asked requests and generally just tell the punter that I'll try and squeeze it in for them before the end of my set, if I can find it.

I had a really rude guy a few weeks back who demanded I play a track I didn't have, Tom Jones or something, he started pulling through my cds first, but I mark them so only I know whats what, then he went to push my laptop and kept saying "ye have it all on them things now". The bouncer stepped in and he calmed down. He wasn't drunk, he was an arsehole

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭VinylJunkie

Only Two weeks ago at a house party some fool was demanding PitBull, He kept saying it Pitbull..Pitbull..Pitbull. At first I hadn a clue what he was talking about until he explained he was just back from Ibiza and he had heard it in Cream where it was all the rage!

I replied sure Cream is just an extension of FM104 :p

He said if I was a proper DJ id have it :rolleyes:

This was at about 3-4 in the morning when I was banging out techno, the bloke and his mate went to another room with a laptop and listened to Beyonce and the like.

Kunt

haha, Pitbull Pitbull....he could have asked for Ken Lee
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RgL2MKfWTo
    :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

I'm just back today from Transylvania Calling and one night was down at the 'alternative stage' where there was an English DJ playing some minimal techno. It was around 3am and he was skinning up and happily enjoying the music with the crowd.

Someone had said he was a friendly guy so I walked up to him, caught his ear and asked: Any chance of some QUO?

He nearly collapsed laughing. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

old gregg wrote: »
    I'm just back today from Transylvania Calling and one night was down at the 'alternative stage' where there was an English DJ playing some minimal techno. It was around 3am and he was skinning up and happily enjoying the music with the crowd.

Someone had said he was a friendly guy so I walked up to him, caught his ear and asked: Any chance of some QUO?

lol. classic!!

tbh, i've had people point iphones in my direction with requests. It's a lot easier to tell them to go fcuk themselves when they are holding an expensive phone in their punching hand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭francois

old gregg wrote: »

I hope he played it!

That being said there is nothong more annoying than:
    Play some music with words
    Have you got anything with words in it
    and my favourite
    You know the one you played last week can you play it again :confused:

francois wrote: »
    You know the one you played last week can you play it again :confused:

Aawwww man, i love that tune, the one that goes dum dede dumdum weeekee weeeek. Whats it called again? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 733 ✭✭✭synesthesia

well, it really depend where you are in fact :) and what kind of night ... i have barelly nothing really actual, most of my records are at least 5 years old, or stuff quite unknown from people in Ireland ...

So often when someone ask for something, well, i don't have it :) :rolleyes:

easy way out !

some DJ's are playing tracks, and take request, some other are making a set, are building, having a real turntablist performance and a real good set - > that the one you don't request a track from !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

I think it was a bit and a bit not rude. I mean, I get people who just come up to the DJ box with the request typed out already, flash me the phone, and I give a nod (and write down the name if it's e.g. a birthday request to some one). I for one think it is handy that people do that, it saves time by getting a quick glance instead of MAYBE having to repeat oneself IF the music is either too loud or one talks too softly.

TIP for DJ's: keep a Post-It pad and pen in the DJ box and just hand it to the punter that approaches you. If you're too busy - which should be obvious when you have cans on - then no one should take offense!

Seanie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 426 ✭✭Fintomiginto

well, it really depend where you are in fact :) and what kind of night ... i have barelly nothing really actual, most of my records are at least 5 years old, or stuff quite unknown from people in Ireland ...

So often when someone ask for something, well, i don't have it :) :rolleyes:

easy way out !

some DJ's are playing tracks, and take request, some other are making a set, are building, having a real turntablist performance and a real good set - > that the one you don't request a track from !

yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭Quiggers

Think he jumped the gun a bit, probably had someone else annoying him before you made the request,

If i'm asked for a track, i'll try to play it, if it fits with what i'm playing it'll go straight on, if its a different genre i'll try to work my way round to it, if its not suitable i'll tell the person honestly that its not gonna happen. but i'm always polite about it. i love winding up punters but i never try to
    ruin someones night out.

I find the worst punters are bedroom dj's who reakon that a comercial pub /club should turn into a happy hardcore night just cause they graced us with their presence. I'll try to be polite but last saturday night one of them got a good dose of "**** off, and when you get there, **** off again" Twas the first time in years i had to use that one. In my defence i'd take an hour of abuse before i snapped.

Advertisement