Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why haven't house shares come down in price?

Options
  • 25-08-2009 5:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭

At the moment I'm noticing they've gone up in price, maybe because the students are back. But given the reduction in rent allowance etc. I don't feel that most places came back down to rent allowance level. Most of the rents that were cut were still cut to amounts over the limit for rent allowance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Examples?

I'd have thought that as 1bed double room apts are flogging for 700-800quid in the cities, that they would be more attractive than paying up to 600quid for a double room in a share.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭CatacombKittens

Both of those are way above what I can afford and there's not many 1beds/bedsits around right now.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Both of those are way above what I can afford and there's not many 1beds/bedsits around right now.

1 beds are traditionally more sought after by professionals- rather than students- and bedsits, while there are still some out there (Rathmines and Rathgar for the most part), are far fewer in number than they might once have been.

You are chasing a very small market (in bedsits) and what would be considered a premium market (in 1 bed flats)- you really need to be considering other accommodation types.

Well I was talking about house shares initially, they're still very expensive.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Well I was talking about house shares initially, they're still very expensive.

Bargain with them. The headline 'asking price' is rarely people's bottom line anymore. People might like to get EUR400 a month for a room- but they might very well settle for 250-300...... You need to negotiate. It is not the case that rents are static or have increased- they are firmly on a downward trajectory.

• Advertisement

There's barely anything(in terms of house shares or 1beds) showing up on DAFT or in the Cork Echo anymore too. It's really frustrating.

Advertisement