Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where do I stand regarding termination of tenancy?

Options
  • 25-08-2009 5:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭

Hi hope some of you here can shed a bit of light ohn this situation.
    I have been renting a room since February in a house. I am moving out soon and i informed the landlady this back in the middle of July.
    I stated that i would be moving out at the end of August or beginning of September, depending on when i could move into my new house. I said it would more than likely be the beginning of September as the girl who was in the new room I'm moving to had lost her job and landlady did not want to pressure her into an date but she told her it would be end of August more than likely. This was all fine until i got a text this morning from landlady asking when was i collecting my things?
    I would have thought if she wanted me out of the house sooner that i said she would have to give more notice. I've nowhere to put my stuff if i do end up having to move out and she knows this because i told her at the beginning of August that i would let her know exactly when the room in the new house.
    Any advice for me or do i have a leg to stand on seeing as i didn't give a definite date but i did give over a months notice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

You're a renting a room, which I assume means that the landlady lives in the house with you.

In this case you have very little in the way of rights and the landlady can evict you at a moment's notice.

To be fair to the landlady, it's now the end of August and you still haven't told her when you're moving out. She's probably quite anxious to get a new lodger in ASAP.

You need to put pressure on your end of the chain and find out when the other room is available. The landlady isn't going to want to hang around for the next month listening to you saying, "No, not this week, maybe next week".

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

i didn't give a definite date but i did give over a months notice?

If you didn't give a definite date- you didn't give notice, full stop.

In any event- as Seamus has correctly stated- if the landlady is living in the house herself- you are living with her 'under licence' and have no rights a normal tenant would have. She can ask you to leave at any stage, for any reason whatsover.

This is the time of the year when people tend to look for accommodation/digs- the colleges will be back in September etc- if you leave it until then to move- you will put her in a bad position re letting the room again.

You need to solidify your arrangements- and communicate them immediately to your landlady.

Personally- I would suggest you look up the likes of elephant.ie or similar and rent some temporary storage space for your belongings.

Advertisement