Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Led Zeppelin- Their best album in your opinion.

• 25-08-2009 5:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭

Been listening to them a lot of late, and for ages I had a set favourite Zep album in my head, and whenever asked I said it without having to think.

But after lots of re-listens I have changed my mind and now am wondering how I neglected one of their albums so badly by hardly listening to it much.

III was always my old faithful, from the wails on Immigrant Song to the blues influenced Hats Off to (Roy) Harper.

But now I am firmly behind Physical Graffiti, an album that despite it's huge success I never took to with a passion, other than a few songs, until my recent reimmersion into the world of Zep.

So fellow forumites, what is your pick of the Led Zeppelin studio albums?

Your favourite Led Zeppelin Studio album is... 57 votes

Led Zeppelin
    0%
    Led Zeppelin II
    3%
    hblock21ronnie3585 2 votes
    Led Zeppelin III
    28%
    --Kaiser--LightofDarknessTony HThomas_S_HuntersonRoyale with CheeseParsleythorbarryJ.S. Pill8k2q1gfcz9s5d4Schismbig bJay P3DataModemNephilim WolfDarr3nGTurnip Fish 16 votes
    Led Zeppelin IV
    12%
    AuverssuperdogflukedamonjewelDouble CsiltirockerItssoeasy 7 votes
    Houses Of The Holy
    33%
    Karl HungusCreatureblastmanDublinWriterNeo#PatricidebullpostJeaniousRoanmoreRockeeBurning EclipseDarthWraakRented MuleGerard.CSea DevilsQuintSuspicious DaveMetalDawgSiobhan. 19 votes
    Physical Graffiti
    5%
    _blank_gerocksSage'sMama 3 votes
    Presence
    12%
    Grid.dr.bollockorednikKess73gallagbrLesIsMoreKered75 7 votes
    In Through The Out Door
    1%
    mike65 1 vote
    Coda
    0%
    Never listened to them or never liked them.
    0%
    I'm being awkward and am picking a live album.
    3%
    TwilightningGrizzlyMan 2 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Houses Of The Holy
    It's probably a cliche, but IV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭J.S. Pill

Led Zeppelin III
    Kess73 wrote: »
    Been listening to them a lot of late, and for ages I had a set favourite Zep album in my head, and whenever asked I said it without having to think.

But after lots of re-listens I have changed my mind and now am wondering how I neglected one of their albums so badly by hardly listening to it much.

III was always my old faithful, from the wails on Immigrant Song to the blues influenced Hats Off to (Roy) Harper.

But now I am firmly behind Physical Graffiti, an album that despite it's huge success I never took to with a passion, other than a few songs, until my recent reimmersion into the world of Zep.

So fellow forumites, what is your pick of the Led Zeppelin studio albums?

I used to love Zep when I was younger but really grew to despise a lot of their stuff over the years. Mostly over Robert plant's voice and his poncey lyrics.

If I was pushed I'd say II

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭gerocks

Physical Graffiti
    I have to go with Houses of the holy.
    Really diverse and packed with everything that made them great.
    The rain song,maaaan....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

Houses Of The Holy
    My favourite changes from time to time depending what mood I'm in but I think IV shades it because of the brilliant Black Dog opening and thunderous When the Levee Breaks closing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

Led Zeppelin III
    1 or 2.... It's difficult.....I'll go with 2! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

In Through The Out Door
    Presence just to be contrary ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

Led Zeppelin III
    It was either 2 or 4 for me. Voted for 2 in the end because I've probably listened to it more than 4.

Whole Lotta Love, Heartbreaker... nice :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Led Zeppelin III
    Gotta be II, that album blew my head off the first time I listened to it and still does......all gold and no filler, there is no other Led Zeppelin album that can compare to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 bobby boots

I wouldn’t hesitate to choose a favourite album from any other band, but with Zeppelin it’s impossible.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

Presence
    Tough one.... think Physical Graffiti just pips it for me;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

Led Zeppelin IV
    III Baby, 3! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

Led Zeppelin III
    As a long-serving Zep head, if I had to get up right now & pick out a Zep album to play, today it would be:

oh, hang on..... Graffiti

although 4 symbols....

mmm Zeppelin

I honestly don't know, hang on, I do now.

Just put 2 on.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

Led Zeppelin IV
    have to go for III

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 316 ✭✭LightofDarkness

Led Zeppelin III
    Toss up between 2 and 3 for me. In the end, it must be 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭hblock21

Led Zeppelin II
    Between 1 & 4 for me. Choose 1 just because of "Babe Im Gonna Leave You"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭rednik

Presence
    Physical Graffiti for me. With tracks like Houses of the holy and Kashmir a great double album.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

Led Zeppelin III
    Led Zep II is my fav album of all time

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭dmaxontour

For me the Song Remains The Same (Live album) is the one I'd listen to most. Otherwise the first 6 :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭damonjewel

Led Zeppelin IV
    I am really surprised to see how popular LZ II is.

I just cant listen to that awful Lemon Song, and Ramble on is seriously poor and Moby Dick bores me rigid. The other tracks are great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Kered75

Presence
    Physical Graffiti for me

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Siobhan.

Houses Of The Holy
    Led Zep IV
    Going to California is probably my favourite song on it..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

Houses Of The Holy
    So many great songs! I'd have to go with IV. Actually, think I'm going to play it now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Presence
    No surprise that the last two studio albums are getting no mentions. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Jeanious

Houses Of The Holy
    J.S. Pill wrote: »
    I used to love Zep when I was younger but really grew to despise a lot of their stuff over the years. Mostly over Robert plant's voice and his poncey lyrics.

Aye he was deffo the weak link for me, dont get me wrong, he had and continues to have a belter of a voice, but sometimes it gets too much, and a lot of the lyrics are twattish alright (though if i remember correctly didnt page write most of them until 3 or 4?)

Anyway, 4 just about pips it for me, 1, 2 and 3 are glorious albums but have their weak points, Physical Graffiti and Houses of the Holy likewise, and the less said about the other 3 the better!

So for that reason, 4 gets the nod from me. Absolutely not a second wasted on that album, and zero filler, just straight, no-bull**** kick-ass rock from the rockers, and unbelievable sweetness from Goin to California, and jaysus christ i fcukin love The Battle of Evermore!

In conclusion the day that someone starts writin music like zep again, and doing 3 and 4 hour gigs with no support, is a day that music will be salvaged from the absolute mire that it's currently in.

On that note i bid you all good day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

Led Zeppelin III
    Kess73 wrote: »
    No surprise that the last two studio albums are getting no mentions. :D

Neither album was properly toured this side of the pond & the soundscape had certainly changed over the years, but I find loads to like on both Presence & In Through The Out Door.

Those albums ain't as popular as their predecessors, but they're still kick-ass classic rock albums that stand the test of time, and in my humble opinion are far better than the best offerings of most other rock bands

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Presence
    big b wrote: »
    Neither album was properly toured this side of the pond & the soundscape had certainly changed over the years, but I find loads to like on both Presence & In Through The Out Door.

Those albums ain't as popular as their predecessors, but they're still kick-ass classic rock albums that stand the test of time, and in my humble opinion are far better than the best offerings of most other rock bands

Oh it is not that the albums are totally awful or anything like that, but they do pale when compared to the six albums that came before them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭damonjewel

Led Zeppelin IV
    big b wrote: »

Both albums were also recorded under serious duress, Presence was recorded with Plant in a wheelchair for most of it. Whilst ITTOD was recorded when Page (Heroin) and Bonham (alcohol) were battling their addictions.

They are still good albums, Achilles last stand must be easily one of the best songs in LZ's repertoire. I actually think the later albums have more going for them, certainly in terms of originality. The first album is made up of blues rip offs, a rip off of Bert Janschs version of Black Mountain side, and a rip off of Jake Holmes Dazed & Confused (Jake Holmes never took Page to court, Page gets the credit).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 bobby boots

I love both those albums.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭MetalDawg

Houses Of The Holy
    IV for me because it was the first Zep I ever heard at the tender age of 11...... . and I love the BBC Sessions and Song Remains the Same live albums too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Presence
    It's an impossibility to pick just one because it changes month to month way too much. Whenever there's anything new such as their live double CD / DVD recently that takes over as my new favourite but generally, all things being equal probably physical graffiti. Or 2. Or 4 symbols. My dad introduced me to 4 symbols when I was a kid. I stole his copy of the LP when I heard it!

Advertisement