Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is a good potatoe to make chips ?

Options
  • 25-08-2009 5:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭

like the ones in a chipper ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

Maris Pipers are what's used in the chippers

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭super_metroid

where can i buy maris pipers then

also have you got any tips for cooking them ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Cook them twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭looperman1000

how olaola. 5 mins cooking, take them out, rest them, then back in for another 5? Or how?
    olaola wrote: »
    Cook them twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

how olaola. 5 mins cooking, take them out, rest them, then back in for another 5? Or how?

Hey Sorry, was rushing off for my brekkie, I should have elaborated!
    I'd usually cook them until they were just 'cooked' - not coloured, but tender.
    Take them out - shake em, and leave them for a while. And then pop them back in until they were the colour I like. I'd say you could turn up the heat for the second go if you like them crispy.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

cook them at 140c for about 5 minutes, take them out, dry them off, turn the oil up to about 180c and then finish them to your prefrence.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Par boil them for 5-7 minutes , pat them dry , preferably cool them in the fridge for an hour the fry ..mmmmmmmmmm . I know what's for dinner now !

From Heston Blumenthal..(and a lot of trouble)

Potatoes are one of the most versatile ingredients there are. But not all potatoes are right for all dishes. When I first started looking into which spud was best for mashing and chip-making, I discovered that the key was the amount of “dry matter” the potato contained — what would be left if you removed the skin and the water content. Less than 18% dry matter, and the potatoes won’t give you a decent chip. This may sound a bit technical, but all you really need to know is that, when potatoes are harvested, those grown in the wetter part of the field contain more water. These spuds bruise more easily and don’t last as long, so they tend to be sold off first. Basically, you need to wait a month or so from the time a potato crop hits the shops for the “drier” potatoes to come in. If you want to get the best out of these recipes, those are the ones you should look for. Let me know how you get on: heston@sunday-times.co.uk.

THE ULTIMATE CHIP

This recipe may seem a little long-winded, but it does produce the best chips I have ever tasted. With the right type of potato — try charlotte or belle de fontenay varieties — they will be crispy on the outside and light and fluffy on the inside.

The beauty of this method is that the potatoes can be cooked twice, then kept in the fridge for at least a week, before the final cooking. Or you can wait a day or two in between each of the cooking stages if you do not have the time to do it all at once.

As to which cooking fat to use, groundnut oil is probably the best, as it is very pure and odour-free. You could try rendered beef fat, and goose or duck fat would be delicious too. If you don’t want to use rendered fat, the litre of groundnut oil will be sufficient for both the first and second frying processes.

Serves 4

1.2kg potatoes, washed and peeled
    1 litre groundnut (peanut) oil
    1 litre rendered fat (optional)

Using a sharp kitchen knife, square off the potatoes into rectangles, then cut them into chips about 1cm thick. The length of the pieces is not so important, but you do want to keep them the same thickness, so that they cook at the same rate. Place them straight into a bowl under cold running water and keep them there for about 10 minutes to rinse off some of the starch.

Next, bring a large pan of unsalted water to the boil and plunge in the drained potatoes. Bring it back up to the boil and simmer gently for about 10 minutes, or until the point of a knife easily penetrates the chips. Make sure the water is only just simmering — if it boils too aggressively, the potatoes will begin to break up before they are cooked sufficiently.

Using a slotted spoon, lift the potatoes carefully out of the water and place them on a tray. Allow them to cool, then place in the fridge until cold. You will notice that the chips harden when chilled.

For the next stage, heat the groundnut oil in a deep-fat fryer to 130C/250F and plunge in the chips. After about 5 minutes, the chips will take on a drier appearance before colouring (do not let them brown). They have now finished their second cooking. Drain, let them cool to room temperature, then put in the fridge.

When cold, they are ready for their final cooking. If you are using rendered fat for this, heat it to 180C/350F. Alternatively, use the groundnut oil, heated to the same temperature. Plunge in the chips and cook until golden brown. This may take 8-10 minutes — you need to be patient in order to obtain a really crisp chip. Drain and season with salt only; they will take quite a lot of salt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Btw you can buy Maris Pipers in M&S.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Just to add, Maris Pipers are only as good as heir solid content, you need a very high solid content for a good chip, and while Maris Pipers are usually in the high 80's percentage wise so are a lot of other spuds, Roosters work just as well.

Advertisement