Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Carling Cup 2nd Round [including West Ham vs Millwall violence]

• 25-08-2009 5:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭

Result (last night):

Norwich 1-4 Sunderland

Tonight:

Gillingham v Blackburn
    Hartlepool v Burnley
    Hull v Southend
    Leeds United v Watford
    Nottm Forest v Middlesbrough
    Peterborough v Ipswich
    Port Vale v Sheff Wed
    Portsmouth v Hereford
    Preston v Leicester
    QPR v Accrington Stanley
    Reading v Barnsley
    Southampton v Birmingham
    Swansea v Scunthorpe
    Tranmere v Bolton
    West Ham v Millwall
    Wolverhampton v Swindon

Tomorrow:

Blackpool v Wigan
    Bristol City v Carlisle
    Cardiff v Bristol Rovers
    Doncaster v Tottenham
    Leyton Orient v Stoke
    Newcastle v Huddersfield
    West Brom v Rotherham

Thursday:

Crystal Palace v Man City

Highlights have to be West Ham at home to Millwall, there will be carnage :P, Hereford's visit to Fratton Park (is there a 21st century Ronnie Radford?), and Posh vs Ipswich (Fergie Jr vs Keane).

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Crystal Palace will enjoy Benjani and Bellamy on Thursday night, I assume.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Highlights have to be West Ham at home to Millwall, there will be carnage :P,

Sounds like you were right about the Hammers-millwall game.

2011: Hero to zero for Tamas Priskin. The Ipswich striker wins a penalty, but his spot-kick is saved by Peterborough keeper Joe Lewis and it's still 1-0 to the Tractor Boys. BBC 5 live are reporting that there has been major crowd violence outside Upton Park. More when I hear it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭String

jaykay74 wrote: »
    Sounds like you were right about the Hammers-millwall game.

2011: Hero to zero for Tamas Priskin. The Ipswich striker wins a penalty, but his spot-kick is saved by Peterborough keeper Joe Lewis and it's still 1-0 to the Tractor Boys. BBC 5 live are reporting that there has been major crowd violence outside Upton Park. More when I hear it.

upton park and plaistow tube stations are closed at the moment due to an "incident". Few people been thrown out of the ground becasue of bottle throwing etc

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Mighty Leeds beating Watford

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Altidore scored for Hull, drilled right footed from left channel (30 yards).
    Sounds like a cracker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Outside before W Ham V Millwall. Worts he's seen in 30 years according to one policeman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Outside before W Ham V Millwall. Worts he's seen in 30 years according to one policeman.

No surprise, that draw was certain people's birthdays and Christmases all rolled into one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭jaykay74

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Where did you hear the quote from the policeman?

don't think it was policeman if its the same as bbc reports. 1000 riot police :eek:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/london/8221451.stm

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

jaykay74 wrote: »
    don't think it was policeman if its the same as bbc reports. 1000 riot police :eek:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/london/8221451.stm

fan reports worst violence in 30 years", big big difference to a policeman saying it.

Not surprised their is trouble and you wouldn't get me going to a match involving Millwall but dangers of exageration here, the fact that are so many police on duty would suggest that by and large the police will have it under control.

Where did you hear the quote from the policeman?

He texted me:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

He texted me:rolleyes:

Just asked the question, you could have heard it on the radio/tv.

Just asked the question, you could have heard it on the radio/tv, don't know what the :rolleyes: is for.

Sorry, misread the BBc report. A fan quoted not a cop.:o

An artist's impression of the off at West Ham:

5b91e37940438f217a4c15abc3b81b024bef0060_m.jpg

stanislas!!!!!!!!!!!!!! what an atmosphere!!

toobad the idiots invading the pitch and causing trouble ruining it!

Bingo Club equalise, fans on the pitch, like the 80s all over again...

If this goes to extra-time it's only gonna make it worse.

6 mins added on....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

There have been official reports of someone being stabbed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

9rq681.jpg

Is this on tv? I couldn't find a stream.

Aaron Smith from Hemel Hempstead, who was at the game, said: "I saw one man cornered by at least a dozen Millwall fans before kick-off. Terrifying scenes."

Eyewitness Fergal O'Brien said: "I saw a West Ham fan getting punched in the face by a burly bald man who had a coin between his fists."

Another fan said: "I was in a throng walking up and a group of hooligans came for us.

"The police wanted to help but they were clearly afraid to use force. I am still shaking. I thought I was going to die."

Meanwhile Ben Newton, from Harrow, north London, said his father had been stretchered away after being hit with a dart to the head.

And a Millwall fan told the BBC: "It was like a war zone outside the stadium. There was fighting all round.

"I brought my kids with me tonight and they've seen some violence that is indescribable."

:eek:

Peno to West Ham!

• Advertisement

super-rush wrote: »
    Is this on tv? I couldn't find a stream.

No, I'm listening to BBC London on the web.

2-1 West Ham, more fans on pitch, Millwall players off the pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Royal Seahawk

Sky Sports News now.

2-1 West Ham, more fans on pitch, Millwall players off the pitch.

idiots who ever go onto the pitch. people with kids should go home now. Its going to be pitch dark

3-1 hines! cmon the youngsters!

3-1 now, game over.

I wouldn't like to be there tonight. It was bound to happen though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

How surprising.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/aug/25/trouble-reported-west-ham-millwall
    A man has been stabbed and violent battles have broken out between rival fans in "large-scale" crowd trouble at Upton Park, police said tonight. Hundreds of fans are involved in the disorder which police said was caused by people without tickets to the West Ham v Millwall Carling Cup second-round game who had planned to start trouble.

A spokesman for Metropolitan police said more officers were being rushed to the scene outside Upton Park, in east London. "There is large-scale trouble involving hundreds of fans which we are dealing with at the moment," he added.

Officers have made two arrests, one for disorder and the second for breach of a banning order. Police said the stabbing, in Priory Road close to the stadium, is connected to the fighting and the man is being treated by paramedics.

Police also shut Upton Park Tube station before the game, with fans forced to walk to the game from stations further afield.

Inside the ground, pockets of violence also broke out. Some supporters made it on to the pitch. The rival fans taunted one another as news of the fighting outside filtered through, while the game finished 1-1, meaning an extra 30 minutes would be played

total disgrace

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Scumbags in fighting shocker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Bobalicious93

What sort of trouble?

EDIT: nevermind

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

I'm shocked the police/stewards are so underprepared for this. I mean it west ham vs millwall ffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

I don't get why people need to resort to violence.

They are most certainly not proper football fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Mmcd

Its like some sort of film :p

I'm shocked the police/stewards are so underprepared for this. I mean it west ham vs millwall ffs.

There are 1000 riot police as well as the extra metro police that will be there for tonight so im amazed so much trouble outside the game is going on. Altough I heard it didnt happen till the gates seperating the fans was barged down.

• Advertisement

Violence goes on all the time, it just doesn't get reported in the media as there's almost never violence inside stadiums these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭mrgaa1

Many years ago I was at a Millwall match - was in a box drinking the head of myself. Anyhow all the Millwall "supporters" were in one end and throughout the entire match all they did was to fire insults at the other supporters. They did not watch the match at anytime no matter who scored or did what.

Nothing short of disgraceful from both sets of fans.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Violence goes on all the time, it just doesn't get reported in the media as there's almost never violence inside stadiums these days.

Or close to grounds, so when does it start and stop being football related violence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

i'm sure west ham fans aren't totally blameless.

but i don't understand why millwall are still allowed to compete at all. we all knew this would happen...

why?

because millwall fans have done it before, and will do it again.

i just hope nobody innocent was badly hurt.

• Advertisement

I know a neighbour who owned a pub just outside Millwall's ground. He had to lock up, not on particular game days but EVERY home game. Even boarded the windows.

It's ridiculous. But it's taken to a different level when they play against West Ham. If they ever meet again, it'll definately be played at a neutral ground - or behind closed doors.

West Ham fans are equally to blame - dozens stormed the pitch each time they scored.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Chanandler Bong

SlickRic wrote: »

but i don't understand why millwall are still allowed to compete at all. we all knew this would happen...

why?

im watching online, it was all west ham fans on the pitch

I hope the police have plenty of cctv evidence and any so called football fans are banned for life at the very least and brought to account, on the whole their is very little hooliganism at English matches these days so it is important that a clear message is sent out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Shocking stuff, I hoped we had seen the last this years ago.

Millwall got a reduced allocation for the game, they only have 1500 in the ground. Sounds like mostly West Ham misbehaving in the ground.

I'd bet quite a large amount the blame is at least 50/50 outside the ground, and I'd say a lot who are there on the Millwall side are on banning orders so wouldn't have tickets anyway.

SlickRic wrote: »

why?

west ham fans are definitely not known as angels ! :D

According to Sky News dozens of fans got in without tickets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

The Muppet wrote: »
    Shocking stuff, I hoped we had seen the last this years ago.

I know I though the days of the football/English hooliganism was over

tut tut

I hope FA come down hard on this

Its the same guys on the pitch at the end as after the second goal. One guy was like a 50 year old. What kind of 50 year old invades a pitch? Glad all the sensible people in the stands were booing the 60 or so people invading. They should be banned.

Well done to jack though. Played his heart out, no doubt for his dad.

Headshot wrote: »
    I know I though the days of the English hooliganism was over

tut tut

I hope FA come down hard on this

At the same time, have to be careful here not to blow this one serious incident out of proportion.

• Advertisement
Advertisement