Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thread editing

Options
  • 25-08-2009 6:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭

Hi lads, i was just wondering why there is a time limit on editing your posts? On another forum site i post on i edited a post of mine from 2005 is there a reason boards cant have the same function?

Cheers :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

^^
    What he said.

It's to stop people going back and screwing with information.

If your post needs revision, that should be obvious enough within two days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

seamus wrote: »
    ^^
    What he said.

It's to stop people going back and screwing with information.

If your post needs revision, that should be obvious enough within two days.

Thanks for the replies, i understand and did have an idea that would be the case but honestly 9 times out of 10 the change wouldnt be for malicious reasons maybe circumstances have changed and the poster feels the information should now not be available there should be some way to change it

An example of this would be to look at how many threads have been started in help desk asking for stuff to be edited or deleted, i have lost track tbh but if there was an option to edit it these problems wouldnt be there anymore

Maybe even make the "reason for editing" box mandatory and the person can give the reason, if seen to be acting the maggot fair enough ban/whatever but if it is genuine then let it pass?

A related question:

How long is the time limit on post editing that doesn't leave "Last edited by..." underneath the post? Around 90 seconds?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

eVeNtInE wrote: »

I dont wanna appear cheeky or anything eVeNtInE but if you were to look at help desk threads over a good while you would see loads of threads asking for name changes etc for this very reason, i could understand it not being needed in say after hours or tcn/thunderdome but for the likes of personal issues, humanities, and other serious forums.

I know of one person at this moment (its not me btw :p ) who is in the situation that their boards persona could easily be linked to them and i know it is easier to just say be more vigilant if you wish to stay anonymous but that is just a cop out, if you were to ask every mod to edit posts for all the thread starters alone thats a ton of work on top of the ton of work they already do

TLDR: For the non serious forums (fora?) leave it off so as not to have the problems outlined in the above posts, but for the serious ones have the option to edit

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

GAAman wrote: »
    I dont wanna appear cheeky or anything eVeNtInE but if you were to look at help desk threads over a good while you would see loads of threads asking for name changes etc for this very reason, i could understand it not being needed in say after hours or tcn/thunderdome but for the likes of personal issues, humanities, and other serious forums.
    This is the very reason we don't allow it. Because so many people *would* go back and change their posts. We very rarely change posts for people, and even then we limit it to 4 or 5 key ones.

The damage that would be done by opening this up is inestimable.

What people post online is their own responsibility, they need to think *before* they post, not afterwards. That's the way it has to stay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭vixenbees

Thanks anyway GAAMan :D This is still annoying me lol.

In your privacy settings, is it possible to remove the option for visitors to "view all threads started by" or "view all posts by" ?? This wouldn't be deleting any information, it would just be introducing a measure to make it harder for randomers to search for you! Surely we should be entitled to that?

See seamus I dont have a problem with anything I've posted, dont want it deleted or anything. I just dont like how easy it is for people who don't even have to be registered, to search for this information.

Still no reposnse on this one...... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

GAAman wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies, i understand and did have an idea that would be the case but honestly 9 times out of 10 the change wouldnt be for malicious reasons maybe circumstances have changed and the poster feels the information should now not be available there should be some way to change it
    There has been times in politics where people have tried to change what they've said to prove a point that they did not make. Imagine I changed what a poll asked? Suddenly you could get 300 people suddenly agreeing to the death of Santa! :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

In the case of PI/RI and ocassionaly parenting I do get resquests from posters asking for posts to be edited or deleted and we do for the post part honour those requests, but I think there is a big difference in that and someone wanting to edit or delete thier posts wholesale.

Yeah I totally agree. As I said, I dont want to edit or delete anything!

I just think some measure to make it a bit harder for unregistered people to search for you by username would be really good.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement