Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyway of prioritizing game traffic?

Options
  • 25-08-2009 6:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭

I have a problem when i game while the other computer connected to the modem/router is on and someones using it I get very bad lag spikes every 10 seconds or so or when their port light is flashing, which im guessing is because of the traffic on the other pc, im not sure exactly.

I have DG834GT and as far as im aware there is no QoS settings on it which could of fixed my problem I think. Supposidly you rarely see this feature on modem/router combi's?

Anyway I was just wondering is there any other way i can prioritize my game traffic or even all traffic from my ethernet port maybe on the modem/router. Or limit the other computers port so as they dont make me lag. Is there anything that can be done apart from QoS to make a connection take priority and reduce lag?

Thanks for any help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,500 ✭✭✭Damien360

Strange there is no QoS on this unit. I have the DG834G and searched the knowledge base online on this with no luck. Eircom one I got rid of actually had this feature. Personally I find it depends on what is being accessed on the PC. If the wife is on youtube I might as well switch off any game on 3Mb line. Probably need to finally go to UPC as she will complain if I limit her access for my enjoyment with a new router.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,261 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Get yourself another router - if your looking for a highly customisable router/firmware I would get yourself a Linksys WRT54G (do a search and ensure you get the right type, lots out there) and install some alternative firmware like DD-WRT or Tomato.

Huge amount of QOS options as well as other great features - oh yea, btw you can keep your old router/modem and just use it as a modem for the WRT54G to control it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

First of all, the lag sounds like its from bittorrent.
    Secondly, if you want to apply QOS you could use pfsense -

http://www.pfsense.org

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭IgsTer

Thanks for the feedback

Yeah I wasnt even thinking of QoS when i was buying it, didnt think id ever need it, and it was only bought about 4 or so months ago. It has fixed my issues with low snr and thus i never dc anymore so I would like to keep it as my modem for sure.

Its definetly from youtube I think as it really only happens when the other pc is on there, no p2p is used on it.

So yeah I think maybe the only thing i can do now is get a router that supports QoS and let my dg834 be the modem and the router be the router. So ill look into getting a WRT54G and see what the story is.

Dont think ill go as far as installing new software as i dont want to mess up what I have currently after fixing my last issue with my last router.

Thanks again

Advertisement