Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Positive yesterday, negative today!

• 25-08-2009 6:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

Hi,
    I have been married now 11 months and have always had plans to have kids at some stage. So, myself and the hubbie made a decision to ditch the condoms this month and to kind of 'see what happens'. We didn't want to start obsessing or anything and kind of wanted it to happen 'naturally'. Of course, me being the mad eejit that I am started to obsess straight away. Anyway, I have been having all these mad pregnancy dreams over the last few days, so I woke up yesterday morning after some pretty vivid dreams and rooted out a pregnancy test out of my stash. (which i bought a few months ago online... just in case like :))
    So, I rushed into the loo as I needed to go... urgently. I tore the test strip out of the foil wrap and held it in the stream of wee as I was going. 3 minutes later and I have a look to see 2 lines. A solid control line and a really feint indicator line. ( I should prob point out at this stage that my period isn't due until Saturday, so yesterday was day 26 in my 30 day cycle). So myself and the hubbie were delighted with ourselves all day yesterday until I read the instructions on the preg test later on last night. Apparently, I should have dipped the strip in a container of urine instead of mid stream. So I repeated the test properly last night and again this morning and it they both came out negative. :(
    Anyway, I was just wondering does anyone think from experience, or otherwise, that I could actually be pregnant and that the first botched test could be correct? Of course I could just wait until Saturday to see if Aunty Flo comes to visit but then that would be the sensible thing to do...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

Pregnancy tests measure for Hcg in your urine = a hormone more or less uniquie to pregnancy, without any Hcg in your urine it is very unlikely to get a positive pregnancy test.

Hcg levels are highest in the morning when the urine is most concentrated.

If I were you I would repeat the test in the morning and see what happens.

Unofortunately nature can be cruel and give you a positive pregnancy test and then your period may arrive as usual/a few days late if the little embryo fails to implant.

Do you have any other symptoms? Bloating? Sore breats? Do you feel different to other months?

Anyway, hope you get another positive in the morning and that it works out well for you :) Let us know how you get on!

Fingers crossed!

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭auditek923

fingers crossed. but why dont you make an appointment your your gp and see?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 lickle mushroom

Thanks a mill for the replies! I did another test this morning and it came up negative. So I'm just going to wait to see do I get my period on Saturday and if not I'll try another test. Unfortunately for me, patience is a virtue I don't seem to possess... :o
    Do you have any other symptoms? Bloating? Sore breats? Do you feel different to other months?
    I have been having some mild cramping since Monday when I got the positive test which I was reading could be caused by implantation. However, I often get premenstrual cramping a few days before my period is due anyway so could also be that. As for the sore breasts, I keep checking them to see if they're getting sore, but they're not. I'll prob make them sore though if I keep going at them! :)
    fingers crossed. but why dont you make an appointment your your gp and see?
    I was thinking about doing that alright... I don't know, I think maybe I'll wait until after the weekend and if I'm still none the wiser I'll make an appointment then.

Fingers and toes crossed X

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 lickle mushroom

Just thought I'd update in case anyone is in the same boat as me and might be interested...
    My period came anyway in the end, 3 days late. :( I think it must have been a chemical pregnancy like I have read so much about. I think, from what I have read, it's pretty impossible to get a false positive unless you are reading it incorrectly (evaporation lines etc).
    I was amazed to learn that as many as 50% of first pregnancies end in an early miscarriage (or chemical pregnancy). Even though most people don't even realise they have had one, they just mistake it for a late period...
    Anyway, so we're actively trying this month. Himself left the country this morning to go off working for the week and I'm not due to ovulate until around Thursday so we have been at it like rabbits for the last few days hoping that some of the little fellas might survive the few days. :D He didn't know what hit him! :P
    Back to square 1 now again with the waiting game... I might wait until the period is due though this time to save my sanity...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

sorry to hear that - hugs!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Oh The Humanity

Does sound like a chemical pregnancy this month! Better luck next time! x

Advertisement