Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IBM phone interview?

Options
  • 25-08-2009 6:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone ever do a phone interview before?

I have one with IBM tomorrow, only rang today to confirm it so I haven't much time to prepare for it.

I'm wondering is the initial phone interview just a bit of a chat to see what your like and then they'll being you in for an interview?

Its for a Java Graduate Developer, should I have any specific information in front of me prepared for the interview?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Yeah, done these before, but in 2004.

It was basically 2 parts. First is a technical chat. They will sound you out on a few of the things you've done like what did you do for this project, what language was it in, what made you like that language or what features of the language did you find wierd, what would you have done better, etc.

Second is a management chat that covers your career, your choices, your experience, how you've dealt with situations you've been in, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Thanks, does the first part get more technical, like I'm going over technical Java questions here will they ask me that or am I wasting my time?

I'm I better off going over the projects I created in college?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭remus808

Just to say, it'd be great if you could come back and give feedback after the interview as to how it went and what they asked

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

karmabass wrote: »
    Just to say, it'd be great if you could come back and give feedback after the interview as to how it went and what they asked

Well first off he explained the position and what technology would be involved, described a bit about the team and other general stuff.

(The position is working on a GUI for a new topography product)

Then he asked me about my final year project, what technologies I used and problems I had to overcome.

(I answered this well)

He then moved on to ask me about 15 Java based technical questions and some OOD ones in there as well.

( this is where I fall down, I know Java but when asked technical questions about it I cant answer them properly, its also been a year since we done actual theory questions like the ones put to me, 4th year was all practical, any tips or hints on how to improve would be greatly appreciated)

He then moved on to ask more general questions including Questions on XML, Dom & Sax parsers, Web services such as SOAP, HTTP and some general questions about my college course.

(I answered this well too)

So the technical aspects of interviews really lets me down, as above any hints or tips on how to improve my technical theory knowledge would be good. I have a sheet of Java interview questions that I go over but I didn't get time before this interview due to family matters yesterday and a dentists appointment this morning so that didn't help either :o

Advertisement