Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent allowance refusal

Options
  • 25-08-2009 7:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi. I'm new to this site. Just joined today looking for advise from anyone that's been through or knows anything about the situation I've found myself in.

To cut a long story short started renting a place under the impression that I'd been accepted for rent allowance. I was told I'd been accepted and received a cheque for the deposit but received no written confirmation. After a wait of 8 weeks for the rent allowance made a phone call and was informed that my application had been refused......I'm still responsible for the last 8 weeks rent.

I was told that a letter had been sent to me 4 weeks ago that I never received.

Can I do anything about this or do I just have to accept it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Any reason why??, they have a loose guidelines on who gets it, generally the biggest wasters and single mothers with the most kids are top of the list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 zaika

She said that I was above my limit financially. My angst is with the fact that I was told yes, go ahead. If I had been told no at the time there would have been no problem. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭Kipperhell

You can appeal the decision. Explaining how you took the place based on a verbal approval. Be pushy but not aggressive as the people involved have to put up with enough and are more likely to say no if you are aggressive.

You are liable for a lot more than 8 weeks rent as you probably signed a lease.

On a side note this is one of the reason many landlords don't take rent allowance.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Kipperhell wrote: »
    On a side note this is one of the reason many landlords don't take rent allowance.

Correct- its nothing whatsoever to do with tax evasion- as many people would have you believe......

Thanks to all who left feedback.....will report back with results for anyone else who experiences this problem....:o

• Advertisement

Have sorted it out now with the rent allowance.....I have learnt that it depends on who you get to see on the day and when they say it's up to the CWO discretion, that's exactly what they mean.....bad day included.

Advertisement