Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Book Recycling

Options
  • 25-08-2009 7:17pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭

Are there any Bring sites left with a container for books?

adam

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Greenstar take books in their recycling bins if you use them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭sunnyside

I'm not certain but I'd expect the county council site at Kinsale roundabout has one. You could bring them to any charity shop. They all sell books.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭LilMrsDahamsta

sunnyside wrote: »
    I'm not certain but I'd expect the county council site at Kinsale roundabout has one. You could bring them to any charity shop. They all sell books.

Thanks for that. Any other suggestions closer to East Cork, preferably somewhere with no entry fee?

Just to clarify, the books are clean and of reasonable quality (my mother and sister's last year of chic lit) but charity shops won't take them face-to-face as they have so many of these titles already. There's a black sack full to bursting, and I'm sure someone, somewhere would enjoy them, so I'm reluctant to put them into paper recycling unless it's a last resort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭sunnyside

Maybe you could offer them on freecycle.

City centre again sorry but the Central Library on the Grand Parade has a box by reception for people to help themselves to books others have donated. It's usually fairly empty. I'd say loads of people who pass through there would love free chick lit books.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭lostinsuperfunk

bookcrossing.com?
    Although it could probably be otherwise described as littering.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Given the workload of our wardens, the odds are pretty low.

No joy so far. We were in Raffeen the other day, and we went to Douglas Court, Market Green in Midleton and Ladysbridge the same day. Douglas Court had a little container, but it was padlocked. And I went to the city dump one today, none there either.

We're with Wiser, and like Mrs says, we'd prefer to recycle as-is if possible. Not Freecycle though, it's a pain in the hole and I don't support the org.

I'll give the City and County Councils a tinkle, see if and why they just stopped.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Carrigtwohill (Rosmore) dump has a big bin you could dump them into as a last resort. There's a guy at the gate collecting money, but I think if you just have recycling there's no charge.

Coming from Midleton take the first exit for Carrigtwohill, then take the second exit off the roundabout (1st exit is a farmer's gate). The main road forks at the top of the hill right after a sharp corner. Take the left fork and go striaght ahead when you get to the crossroads. You don't have right of way and it's a very blind corner. I'm amazed there isn't more accidents on that road really....

Know the place well Blitz, haven't checked there yet, I'll have a poke thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭flo8s967qjh0nd

You're clearly willing to do a lot of driving, so pop into the Central Library (park across the road in the multi-storey, if you must) and drop them off in the lobby for people to take for free.
    The City Library also organises monthly swap days where you can bring books and take others that you'd like to read.

FYI, Oxfam don't seem to have book banks in Cork any more, but they will take books in their shops. Dropped mine into Cook Street last week.

adam

• Advertisement
Advertisement