If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Philips 42PFL7404H Settings

Options
  • 25-08-2009 9:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭

Guys,

For anyone who has recently got a hold of the Philips 42PFL7404H, can anyone tell me how to get the settings right to watch the footie. Have tried all the "Smart settings" but the picture is terrible and I'm having to revert to the old CRT for the match. Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Try here for some info: http://www.avforums.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,276 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Ash,

I know we have been discussing this as the 74/84/94's are all so 'tweakable' and as the standard 'vivid' setting is so awful (in my humble opinion!) - but can you have a look at the 74/84/94 series and look at your suggestions for set up - I know some people prefer use the standard settings but we know that they can be really improved on by manually adjusting the picture & sound settings - can you have a look at the ideal settings for sport (esp golf/footie (none of your Aussie cricket rubbish - we need a ball sport where the ball actually moves) - I know there are setting all over the web but I would prefer tried & tested settings that we can publish here for Boardies & stand over!

Just for general infor here is the FAQ page from P4C for the 7404:
    http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/dcbint/cpindex.pl?scy=GB&slg=ENG&cat=FLAT_TV_CA&sct=LCD_EXTRA_LARGE_GT40_SU&grp=TV_GR&ctn=42PFL7404H/12&mid=Link_FAQs&session=20090825181815_92.251.255.13&hlt=Link_FAQs

Thanks all and Ash can you keep us posted?

ATB,

John Mc

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭M00lers

Ahh this old chestnut, SD football and lcds don't mix.
    I'm sure you can improve on your current settings but on a LCD when the image pans the resolution drops to about a quarter of that of a static image. Hope you get it sorted but I wouldn't hold my breath. Don't bin your CRT just yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Ashley

Hi Guys

I'll post up settings we use in the shop as a guideline for everyone.

should have something for you a little later

.....why anyone would waste their time watching football.............

cheers
    Ash

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Ashley

Hi Folks

Had a little play about with our shop demo 42PFL7404H and have made note of the setting. As the 42PFL8404 is the same TV these will apply for it as well.

Now keep in mind our showroom is a little brighter than the average living room, so the Brightness, contrast and colour settings will need adjusting to suit your viewing room....

so here we go

Go into SETUP on the TV

Select INSTALLATION ->PREFERENCES -> LOCATION and select HOME

Now go into -
    SMART SETTINGS selesct PERSONAL (VERY important - change away from Vivid or any other preset mode - PERSONAL will let you set up each input optimally for each source - your settings for DVD will differ from the ones to get the best from Blu-Ray or NTL etc)

Now go to
    PICTURE settings (this is where all the fun is to be had:))
    Contrast = 77
    Brightness = 60
    Colour = 47
    Sharpness = 1 (very high out of the box, around 6 - makes things look a little "peaky" turn it down)
    Noise Reduction = OFF (try ON for NTL etc)
    Tint = Normal

PIXEL PRECISE HD settings
    HD Natural Motion = Minimum
    100Hz Clear LCD = ON
    Advanced Sharpness = OFF
    Dynamic Contrast = Minimum
    Dynamic Backlight = Best Picture
    MPEG Artefact Reduction = OFF (on for older DVD's or NTL/Sky boxes)
    Colour Enhancement = Minimum

So there you go, simple!! :)

Try these as a starting point and fine tune from there. Keep in mind that the various settings used for your BR Player will differ from those needed to get the best out of a DVD player or your Sky/NTL did boxes...Dont even think about plugging a VHS machine into these - they looked rubbish on a 21" TV and you should be embarrased to be using VHS in 2009:D (retro is Cool with LPs NOT VHS...)

Please feel free to post up setting that you find work for you so other Boradies can fine tune their TVs

FINAL WORD

Please DONT rely on the FACTORY SETTINGS - the TV is capable of SO much more. Spend time twesking and it will reward you for years to come.

atb
    Ash

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.