Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Motorway Cops kick L driver ass!

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

You know , to all the unlicenced ( or people who don't have the correct type of licence ) drivers who feel its their right to drive unaccompanied .

Driving is NOT a right , it's a privilege . A privilage granted to people who reach the required standard and pass their test. This privilege can be removed if for example you run up too many points , or you are caught with drink on you.

Tell me this , do these learner drivers feel it would be ok if they lost their licence because of drinking or whatever to carry on driving because it's a little inconvenient for them to get to work ( or collage ) ........

I learnt to drive in Britain , I drove an instuctors car once a week ( or maybe twice ) and occasionally in my father's car. Not once did it occur to me to drive unaccompanied because it was inconvenient

Ok , I was lucky enough to live in London that had a reasonable public transport system however I would like to think if I lived ' in the sticks ' it would be the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Theres the problem. You "like to think" youd do the right thing. Heck i like to think id always do the right thing too,. But it doesnt always happen. We are human after all.

Can we get opinions from people who live in the sticks and have it inconvenient, and yet still sit there patiently awaiting mum/dad to arrive home while ignoring the car in the driveway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

driving unaccompanied on a provisional is the very same as hopping in a 15 ton truck on a car license....or a bus...

the gards need to stamp it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 935 ✭✭✭samsemtex

NFD100 wrote: »
    Fatal crash driver on provisional licence

A JURY HAS recommended that the law regarding provisional drivers be fully enforced after hearing how a young woman had been driving for just four weeks when she lost control of her car and crashed into a wall, resulting in the death of two of her passengers.

Theresa Dingivan (21), Rathcarrig, Pike Road, Fermoy, Co Cork, was on her first provisional licence and had never taken any driving lessons from a trained instructor when she crashed at Strawhall just outside Fermoy on the night of August 5th, 2007.

Two local men, Michael Murphy (22), Main Street, Castlelyons, and James Sexton (19), Firmount, Castlelyons, who were both back-seat passengers in Ms Dingivan’s car, were killed in the crash which happened at about 9pm.

Ms Dingivan was later charged with dangerous driving causing their deaths but was found not guilty of both charges by a jury following a trial which lasted five days at Cork Circuit Criminal Court last November.

Ms Dingivan told the inquest into both deaths yesterday that she had been in the Peddlars Bar in Castlelyons that afternoon drinking 7up and was bringing her sister, Bridget, and their friend, Cillian Smith, into Fermoy when the two men asked her for a lift.

She had put on her seatbelt and she saw both her sister, who was in the front passenger seat, and Mr Smith, who was in the rear left seat, put on their seatbelts but she didn’t see either of the deceased put on their seatbelts when they got into the back seat, she said.

Ms Dingivan said she did not believe she was speeding and that she was doing about 50km/h when she went to overtake another car but she lost control of the steering and her car collided with the piers and wall of a house on the right-hand side of the road.

“It was like the steering wheel was pulling hard to the right. I was holding on to the steering wheel tight. The first time it pulled, I could control it, the second time I couldn’t control it at all,” she told the inquest before the coroner for north Cork, Dr Michael Kennedy.

The inquest heard that part of the roof of the car was sheared off in the impact and that both Mr Murphy and Mr Sexton were thrown from the vehicle.

Mr Murphy was killed instantly and Mr Sexton was pronounced dead at the scene a short time later.

Garda Micheál O’Donovan said he found that the 13-year-old Honda Civic car was in a roadworthy condition before the crash and believed that a combination of speed, weight in the car and Ms Dingivan’s inexperience as a driver were factors in the collision.

Forensic crash investigator Garda Tom Dunlea said he believed from marks on the road that the car had travelled some 87 metres out of control and that it was travelling between between 96km/h and 108km/h at the time of the collision.

The jury returned a verdict of death by misadventure in the case of both young men and recommended that the law regarding provisional licence holders be fully enforced.

This article appears in the print edition of the Irish Times

If she was male she would be in jail. Its the same every time. Women are getting away with killing people on the roads. They never get the same punishment as men.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Jeanxx

samsemtex wrote: »
    If she was male she would be in jail. Its the same every time. Women are getting away with killing people on the roads. They never get the same punishment as men.

If you kill someone on the roads you should get the same punishment regardless of gender but to say women are getting way with killing people on the roads is a sweeping statement. I know it's your opinion and that's mine.

Also this girl has no professional lessons and I'll say it, it was stupid of her to go out & drive, let alone have passengers after four weeks.

I'm just going to say that some people here are making it out like all L-drivers are the worst criminals on the road. Apart from the fact that there's plenty of drink drivers and people who speed who are fully licenced (& I'm sure there are L-drivers who do it too) and they are the ones who are substantially risking their own lifes and others too. Why are there so many drink driving and speeding campaigns? While I say this I do completely agree that inexperienced drivers should not drive unaccompanied & I won't be doing it because as I said before I'd be very scared!! I thought I'd be fine to do as I said it in a few months but it is too risky.

I will say though that try not to tar every L-driver to the same stick. Yeah a lot shouldn't be on the road but I know plenty of people who were just as good driving when they were a learner (with a lot, a lot of lessons) as they are now after the test.

Again before I get any angry comments, I said I'm not driving unaccompanied... I haven't even got a car yet. People who say L-drivers should not be on the road by law are right but sometimes for whatever reason that's impossible for people waiting for their tests. I disagree completely with people on the road with L-plates that have only had a few lessons etc... I'm just sticking up for the people who have a lot of lessons and know how to drive and are waiting on their tests.

By the way what do people think of Gay Byrne's proposed law about male drivers?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

samsemtex wrote: »
    Women are getting away with killing people on the roads. They never get the same punishment

And not only women:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭marious

Why not cut all disputes and basically cancel out "L driver" institution?
    Why wouldn't it be like somewhere else?
    1. Apply to school of driving for lessons
    2. Drive out required amount of hours (parking, roads)
    3. Apply for internal exam in your school of driving
    4. Apply for NRA exam

Just wondering what all the schools of driving doing? I thought they're LEARNING
    you how to drive so when they'll let you go You're applying for exam straight away. How is that after taking lessons in that school you still need to drive around and keep learning??

please enlighten me;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

L driver is someone who hasn't passed a driving test. Not just someone who's learning to drive. My mother is a very good driver, never had a crash or even a close call in her 6 years of driving or so. However she gets awful nerves at tests and inevitably fails. She's failed 4 tests now, all by between 1 and 3 ticks, grade 2. The rest of the time she's a fantastic driver. She has no problems with lights, roundabouts or motorways.

What makes her more risky to drive on a motorway than some moron 18 year old boy in his newly bought 1.6ltr car with 4 of his mates just because he passed a test last week after a few lessons and a good test??

And anyways there is nothing in the test about driving on motorways so why are you more qualified to drive on them after passing a test??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭marious

L driver is someone who hasn't passed a driving test. Not just someone who's learning to drive. My mother is a very good driver, never had a crash or even a close call in her 6 years of driving or so. However she gets awful nerves at tests and inevitably fails. She's failed 4 tests now, all by between 1 and 3 ticks, grade 2. The rest of the time she's a fantastic driver. She has no problems with lights, roundabouts or motorways.

What makes her more risky to drive on a motorway than some moron 18 year old boy in his newly bought 1.6ltr car with 4 of his mates just because he passed a test last week after a few lessons and a good test??

And anyways there is nothing in the test about driving on motorways so why are you more qualified to drive on them after passing a test??

Well, I think your mother could seek some psychology advise about it. Obviously we can't compare her with 18 yrs old but the law is even. Should I ask government for tax relief cause I'm going mad looking through my payslip?:o

wish her good look anyway ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭weepee

Learning the road takes time, passing the test states youve reached an acceptable level of skill, nothing more.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Maisy

weepee wrote: »
    Learning the road takes time, passing the test states youve reached an acceptable level of skill, nothing more.

This forum has made for genuinely interesting reading and I think the last comment sums up the problem in a nutshell. I learned to drive through hours of tuition with an approved instructor only, - I wonder who taught the bullies behind me who 1/honk because I am not exceeding the speed limit (yes, when circumstances allow I will happily hit the max) and 2/ those charming people who honk because I slow down for the cyclist in front because there is no room to overtake , or to give them "wobble room", I value a life over a schedule any day.

And as for the moron in front who can barely maintain speed or position because they are on the mobile, and the twit behind me who hasnt looked/thought ahead, cuts me up and then realises what happening in front with Mobile Moron, has to break and lamps themselves into the other lane.....

damn feel sooooo much better !!

Advertisement