Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

conservatory glass roof issues

Options
  • 25-08-2009 9:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hi,

we had a glass roof conservatory installed about 4 years ago and the caps and the white bars supported by the caps at the bottom of some of the panels at the gutter ends seem to have become loose - there appears to be a built up of moss etc - wondering if it is sufficient to just use a hose to remove the moss etc and then to manually push the white bar covers back up - are there any adverse implications due to the caps not being fully attached and these bars coming loose or could it be just due to the moss? Alternatively should I be looking to get a 'professional' cleaning job done.

Don't know whether to go back to the company or whether I'm liable for not cleaning the roof more frequently? Any advice at all would be appreciated. Thanks - Rose

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭PeteHeat

Hi,

If its real glass (not polycarboanate) the glazing bars should be cleaned, the pressure needed will depend on how much moss has built up.

Try the garden hose first using a brush as far up the glazing bars you can reach, if the moss isn't moving use a pressure / steam cleaner taking care not to damage the finish on the caps of the glazing bars.

The end pieces should fit back in, if not call the original installer.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Rose Violet

Thanks Peter, will try it. Looking at it it looks as if the straight covers down at the bottom supported by the caps may be slightly warped as if maybe moss has grown under them. Do you know if this is dangerous for the future i.e. if I manage to slide the covers back up I suspect one or two of the caps may not now go back into place but will only sit against the frame with a slight gap - this was noticed at the point of installation but the installer told us they were purely cosmetic!!! We were stupid I know. Thanks again for your help, RoseV.

Advertisement