Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wet Demo

• 25-08-2009 9:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭

Just finished playing it and I wish i hadn't..... I just want more now :D

Starts out fairly average but once it gets going its like Tarrintino meets mirrors edge , the last section with the chase on the highway was brilliant.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Rev. Kitchen

Yea i dont know what to think i really enjoyed it though it was brilliant played it about 5 times but still dont really know what its going to be like the 3 bits they give you are so different.

Still comes from good stock same crowd that made Fallout 3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Still comes from good stock same crowd that made Fallout 3

Afraid not, Bethesda are the publishers of this game, not the developers. Bethesda picked this game up to publish after the last publisher lost faith in the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭screw2loose

to be honest i didn't like this at all. its was ok in parts but it just reminded me to much of the game "the Club" which i actualy hated...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Have to agree, didn't do it at all for me. Just got old very quick. It's a poor mans Max Payne. I can see why Activision and Vivendi dropped it when they merged, whats suprising is that Bethesda picked it up. They must be able to see something in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

hmm

only downloaded this because of this thread.

I like it for some things, dislike it for others.

What I liked

-The controls, moving the character seems a tad fast, but the auto implementation of bullet time and the spread of the controls are very good. Its nice to have it that bullet time comes into effect when performing an action rather then having it as something to activate. Encoruges to slide, jump and wall run around the place while also ensuring slow mo is used for what it is meant for and not become a hinderence.

-The b-movie exploition filters and adult elements, nice atmosphere, makes it feel pretty cool and quite distinctive (the only other title to bare similar styles was house of the dead overkill.) Some bits of it I didnt like (will get to it) but the drinking for health and gory aspects are all very satisfying.

-The Pace is good, clearly the demo chopped things up, but it feels that while its combat heavy, it isnt simply movement from room to room, you have a qte bit, some acrobatics etc. If the full game spaces these out well then it will be good. Some details I liked where the extensions on well known game elements. Combining QTE with an on rails section while not groundbreaking does break up the monotony of either on their own and keeps the section dynamic. Similary the locked doors section wasnt simply *kill all badguys*, it required some movement and objective to progress, rather then simply slaughtering a horde and it magically unlocks. Though it wasnt as dynamic as I would like (puzzle under gunfire maybe?) its a step up from magical invisible barriers.

What I didnt like

-lack of diversity in baddies, ok its a demo so I shouldnt expect much, but whats the point of combining hack and slash + gunplay if there's no diversity to really push the player to mix it up.

-The simplicity of the sword aspect, the sword seems to be a late addition as it has little of the volitile madness of the guns which is a shame, it be nice to be able to combine sword play with some of the acrobatics but it looks like it might be simply a high speed satisfying melee attack.

-The Kill Bill segment. Ok the tarintino influence is obvious, the game feels like kill bill on acid, but the middle segment felt more forced then the rest of the game and if it is something that the player does not have control over then its just glorified killing spree moments. Be nice to combine it with the sword that the *kill bill* vision charges up with sword kills over long range combat and can be released when filled. Personnally I would like to have had a more original set up then the almost identical kill bill elements.

-The cutscene/music. The opening cutscene was rather painfull to watch, bad voice acting, bad camera (why do ingame cutscenes rarely edit like a film, its always a constant tracking camera) and then this is made worse by the punkish music which just grated in the hyper mode section.

Overall I'll watch the reviews and might pick it up cheap. Only Batman arkham asylum has my money booked cause it has both looks, gameplay and story which is the holy trinity of single player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Yeah I downloaded it based on this thread too. Not bad, but not brilliant either. Reminded me of Stranglehold. Might rent it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

the demo is better then the whole of stranglehold. That was an awful awful game.

edit:

Though the complete lack of reload for any of the guns does harken to one of my gripes with stranglehold and I should add it to my list of things I dislike about the demo.

Even in these sort of games, you need to reload at some point :( it adds tension.

I had another go and found that in the stylised bits you can access different weapons including two sawed off shotguns (fun!) sub machine guns (cool!) and explosive tipped crossbows (OH DADDY!) shame they all have the same effect in stylised mode. Would have perferred it for the kill all the baddies bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

Hmmm, people are pretty positive in this thread. I read the title and was expecting it to get slated. I turned the thing off without finishing it... I'll give it another shot, play the full demo.

Wasn't impressed with what I saw, at all. I know why they're using that graphical filter, but I think it looks horrible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

I seen a video of this and looked good but I haven't played the demo. Don't really want to incase I'm dissappointed or expect the full game to be great and it's not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

why they're using that graphical filter, but I think it looks horrible.

+ 1 - I get that they are going for a kind of "grindhouse", B-movie look, but it makes the game looks pants IMO. Hopefully the entire game won't look like that but there was nothing in the demo to make me think that it won't...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Rev. Kitchen

I still think its pretty cool when you slide across the room run up the baddies front flip backwards and shoot him in the head while your upside down in the air then land on your feet. :D

But yea ill be waiting untill i hear more about the full game ( even though i did play it yet again twice last night I cant get enough of it.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

Seems to me like a poor version of the matrix game on the old xbox. The graphics are awful and the controls are kinda crap too, seems you can only jump in a kind of forward lunge. I did love that matrix game though so might give this a rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Paddy_B

I liked the demo but won't be getting it on release day. I will get it preowned or in a sale some time but for now there are games like AC2, Crackdown2, FORZA3!!!, Fifa10, ODST, DIRT2...all of which are far more worthy buys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Moiph

Its nearly as good as Stranglehold ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Another "Worth a Rent" game

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Liathroidi Dana

It was alrigh have ta say, Think I might just rent this.

Advertisement