Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parade Rejuvenation Kilkenny

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

I'm scratching my head and wondering what it's all about. Granted, it looks a lot less scruffy than it was but it seems so...empty or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Loveless

fabbydabby wrote: »
    No doubt they'll introduce some uber futuristic hi-tek mirror finish flower pots to complete they effect. They might as well paint the castle top to toe in magnolia and furnish it entirely out of Ikea.

I know a few guys with some luminous paint going cheap ;)

250px-Only_Fools_Rodney_Del_Albert.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

fabbydabby wrote: »
    Those stainless steel bollards are beyond the boundries of taste, they're like something out of a tacky, cheap, Argos decorated, chrome man-pad. They shouldn't be next nigh or near a lovely old castle. And the number of them!

Overall it's way better, I know they spent more time than should which built up our expectations a bit too much. Those bollards will look less sterile once a few cars bumb into them and there bent out of shape :pac:

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭wax

They really should've widened the road a bit. Its very tight up along there and too much unused space for pedestrians. As stated above, its only a matter of time before the bollards are hit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

I just saw it today. My thoughts were: "That's it? All those months and that's what we got to show for it?"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 contakt23

i first saw it and thought , yeah... is that it , then the next occasion I looked and said , **** dude thats deadly, its a brave person that fills a space with nothing, its a sea of calm, (though not on sat nite) a wonderful thoughtful space, enjoy our space .

my tupence

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭Dan Chipowski

The silver pole thingys look rotten.

I have nothing against leaving the space there, but can't understand why it took so long to basically chuck down a few paving slabs.

And as I've said before, outside the left bank the pavement is slippy and dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

*Now knows where to go on a Saturday night* Knacker drinking in the public jacks,anyone? Only 20c ;)

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

with free 'tunes' from a moron on a scooter

Sounds like a party

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

Am going to be down home tomorrow, so will pop over for a proper gawk at the Parade.

I think the reason it took so long was that they had to survey what they had dug up for archaeological purposes?

But its The Web Awards tomorrow night,Mike ;)

I won't be there I'm afraid. Have to go see my new niece!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

I'm glad that it's an open space, it's a civic space where previously we had either Dunnes car park or Parliament street. The castle park is great but it's impractical once the rain hits and that's often.

I agree with everyones view of the bollards, however I am against the old style black bollards, they can be a hazard as they can be hard to see when light is bad. I've seen enough cars wrapped around around the black bollards in the Black abbey carpark.

Interesting titbit regarding the cobbles that can be verified easily. I heard an archaeologist was upset about disturbing the cobbles, he believed that they were of archaeological importance and integral of the history of the castle. His professional concerns were allayed when he discovered that the cobbles were only put down in the 70s to replace the very bad tar job that had been done in the 50s.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭zootroid

Any chance of a few pics for those who are away from home?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

zootroid wrote: »
    Any chance of a few pics for those who are away from home?

I'll take them on the to work in the morning (if I remember)

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 wipafo

kk%20.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Yep thats pretty much it. They could of easily made the road a bit wider as busses are constantly using that road.

As for the parade itself, big let down. Just boring and lifeless

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

They made the road needlessly narrow. Then again what would you expect. There's scarcely a wide stretch of road in Kilkenny :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Another part of their ongoing jihad against drivers then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Think it looks better from that angle. Looking from the other end with the Castle behind does not work so well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Have to say I don't mind it, don't love it but don't hate it. If the space is used for things like the framers market and other such events, it could be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

A lot of towns and cities in the country would kill for a space and investment like this in their respective centres so lets not moan too much ;)

Had a look at it at the weekend. I'd assume they left it open and put nothing in the space so as not to distract from the castle and make it stand out more?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 catblack

Now I know where the architects found their inspiration to put shiny metal poles beside and in front of our beautiful castle: they are the same ones as in the car park at SuperValu, Thomastown and on the county council's multi-storey car park in Portlaoise.
    Mind you, there are much less of them in the car parks than there are on our Parade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 catblack

Interesting titbit regarding the cobbles that can be verified easily. I heard an archaeologist was upset about disturbing the cobbles, he believed that they were of archaeological importance and integral of the history of the castle. His professional concerns were allayed when he discovered that the cobbles were only put down in the 70s to replace the very bad tar job that had been done in the 50s.[/quote]

Yeah, the cobbles were 1970s because the tar job was a mess. They suited the castle entrance. The pale grey slab that is there now looks terrible and I betcha people will slip and slide on it when it is wet.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭jiggajt

I've been thinking about it for a while now and i've finally decided i like it. Sat there on Saturday with my mate and chatted crap and drank coffee. I think the greyness of it brings out the colour in the surrounding trees and the people who occupy it.

My only complaint is that the stone seats can be pretty cold on the arse in this weather. A few traditional wooden benches would be nice. I could sit out with the FT and smoke a pipe or something!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Jiggajt, I feel the same way about it although I prefer my FT with a comfortable seat. Public space is important. As i said before the Park is great but it gets damp whereas the parade is now a public utility rather than just a carpark.

I've already heard a few older ladies commenting "wouldn't it be lovely now if they put in flower beds". NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!
    What is it with some people when they are confronted with an empty space?(rant over)

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭pueblo

Licksy wrote: »
    with free 'tunes' from a moron on a scooter

Yeah, who is that mobile musical motor maniac???

• Advertisement

Gala opening ceremony and festive market planned for new Parade
    An opening ceremony for the new Parade in Kilkenny city is to be organised for the end of November in the run-up to the festive season and hopes are high that Christmas markets will fill the vast space in the lead-up to Christmas.

Speaking at this month’s meeting of Kilkenny Borough Council, director of services John Mullholland said that it would be appropriate to mark the opening of the Parade with a Christmas flavour.

Mayor Malcolm Noonan added that a community Christmas tree could be erected in the expansive new space.

Cllr Andrew McGuinness told the members that he had already been in discussions with the organiser of Christmas markets which he said could be appropriately located on the Parade.

“The newly refurbished Parade could be the venue for an international Christmas village, similar to that in Paris, complete with traders from all over the world, a fairytale Santa’s grotto and a traditional carousel,” according to Cllr Andrew McGuinness.

He added that with the incentive of attracting Christmas shoppers to Kilkenny and becoming an annual event, the Christmas village would be organised by Nabil Mountasser (MN's Events) in conjunction with the Irish Village Market and Kilkenny Local Authorities. Nabil has organised many successful markets and events that have attracted a huge array of international traders, while also including local traders in each location.

Nabil said, "Our aim is to provide Kilkenny city with a fully functioning outdoor Christmas village. We would have places for 20 traders selling a range of products, including local Irish craft such as hand-made cushions, jewellery, and candles, and a selection of international craft with Peruvian knitwear, Provencal soaps, Moroccan lamps and Thai wood-carvings. We wish to offer a diverse mix of foods to suit every palette with stalls selling French crepes, olives, cheese and tartiflette. We would hope to give local artists an outlet to display their work too. The village would be made up of traditional chalets instead of regular stalls," said Nabil.

Cllr McGuinness is fully supportive of the project and is very hopeful that it will go ahead.

"This would be a fantastic way to launch the Parade and a great use of the huge civic space we now have. The whole concept behind the Parade was always to provide Kilkenny with a space for events like this. It’s important that people see The Parade as not just a big open space but as a place to be used for positive activities that benefit Kilkenny. I think that once events like this begin to take place, the Parade will become a great attraction," said Cllr McGuinness.

A number of meetings with city officials have already taken place in the last number of weeks and the reaction has been hugely positive. Officials are now investigating the legalities behind hosting an annual event like this.

If permission is granted, the Christmas village would run for almost two weeks before Christmas.

Advertisement