Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parade Rejuvenation Kilkenny

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Sounds great now if its cold and icy they can expect a few thousand claims for all the trips and falls :)

Nah seriously it does actually sound like a good idea,

• Registered Users Posts: 19 contakt23

brettmirl wrote: »

Gala opening ceremony and festive market planned for new Parade
    i like the sound of the markets and contacted the town hall and they say it wont happen this year as the by-laws need to be changed to permit trading , and there is not enough time before christmas, the wheels of local jostling move slow, after the photo op has passed of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 catblack

Does anyone know how much it cost? I see the Kilkenny People didn't get an answer to that question, or did it even ask?
    I heard it was over €10 million. I couldn't believe it. Does anyone know? Surely they will have to admit it in the annual report.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 BACKPOCKET

It's not good,

The shiny railings and bollards are totally out of character,they should be replaced with ''Ye old medivial black'' that would compliment the existing stuff.

The mortuary slab seats are cold and uninviting.the pharmacies will benifit the most from these with a rise in sales of Preparation H,cant imagine,especially the elderely,whiling away the hours here.

The toilets are ugly,they could be ''slabbed'' in stone to fit with the surrounding stone walls and castle.

The bricks at the side of the road were not cut,instead the holes were filled with concrete!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 BACKPOCKET

Why the shiny railings and bollards again ???

All of the existing river and the hotel opposite are ''ye old black'',again totally out of character

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

contakt23 wrote: »
    i like the sound of the markets and contacted the town hall and they say it wont happen this year as the by-laws need to be changed to permit trading , and there is not enough time before christmas, the wheels of local jostling move slow, after the photo op has passed of course.

That makes no sense as the farmers market use to happen on the parade every week until they started work on it and artists were allowed sell there for the arts festival each year...how is that trading different trading to a xmas market?

Seriously not getting all the moaning, walked up it yesterday with some friends from overseas and they liked it and I've walked the parade and the river walk a heap of times and yet to find it slippy.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I like it I have to say. Far better than what went before; a rotten car park and taxi rank!
    Btw I recall reading somewhere it cost more like €18 million ?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Christmas markets are different. They generally have garden sheds selling "traditional" European muck (I do like it though) as opposed to fresh Irish produce.

It doesn't matter which of these markets you go to, they're all the same

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

Hope they get to give High Street a bit of a facelift now.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

mfitzy wrote: »
    Hope they get to give High Street a bit of a facelift now.

Whats wrong with high street?, its not in bad nick in fairness.

• Advertisement

Cabaal wrote: »
    Whats wrong with high street?, its not in bad nick in fairness.

True, it's not bad but some of the cobbles at the pedestrian crossings are getting well worn now. Also, those horrendous "goalposts" eihter end, they are still there ain't they? I just think it needs a bit of a touching up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 spezi

I live in the parade and this afternoon I saw a person slipping on those lovely shiny stones right in front of my door, he looked like he injured himself...

It's midnight now and there are two guys in hi vis clothes with hoses and brushes at my doorstep, who for past 3 hours have been trying (from what i gather) to brush the surface and get it less slippery or something... under the cover of darkness.... my cat looking out of the window loves every minute of it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭Ollchailin

It's really slippy at the moment with all the wet autumn leaves on the ground, I found I had to be extra careful when I was walking, and I was wearing flat shoes so I'd imagine it's worse in high heels.

In general I think the new layout is ok, the "Parade Kiosk" sign is stupid though, and the section for the cars should be wider. It's a nice open space, but I just expected it to be more.... I dunno, welcoming or something.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I look at it every day and I walked up it for the first time yesterday, I'm convinced, it's grown on my, I likey very much now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 upthecats

It does look great as it was such an eyesore. Wonder will we really see much actiivity there (Christmas market etc...) though over the coming months????

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Lord ButterSlip

Nothing will happen there for ages. I thought when it was being done that they were going to clad the "kiosk" in stone, thats what the huge over hang is for, No? Maybe not, that would be too obvious but they could always polish the trees and the castle to match everything else i bet Mac's chip van would take a good shine aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭halfforward

From what i hear the lights are going to be impressive. i heard they are set in the ground and aregoing to light up one after another running towards the castle.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

From what i hear the lights are going to be impressive. i heard they are set in the ground and aregoing to light up one after another running towards the castle.
    Yay, now we'll have a decent landing strip...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

When will these crimes against tasteful and appropriate design end, one wonders.

I saw the lights in the ground there and I wasn't overly impressed by them but only a few of them were working. I know it's a bit of an anticlimax after all the time they took but I like it (the overall thing).

• Advertisement

fabbydabby wrote: »
    When will these crimes against tasteful and appropriate design end, one wonders.

:D:D ROFL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 SuchALiar

BACKPOCKET wrote: »
    Why the shiny railings and bollards again ???

All of the existing river and the hotel opposite are ''ye old black'',again totally out of character

Have you seen the UNBELIEVABLY tacky neon lighting under the ground??? It's red, green, blue etc. It's as if it's from Vegas!!!! Imagine! COLOURED lighting in one of Ireland's most historic outdoor spaces.

Complete farce if you ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Lord ButterSlip

SuchALiar wrote: »
    Have you seen the UNBELIEVABLY tacky neon lighting under the ground??? It's red, green, blue etc. It's as if it's from Vegas!!!! Imagine! COLOURED lighting in one of Ireland's most historic outdoor spaces.

Yes but it is shiney and that ultimitly is what voters want. No?:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 purplestain

The shiny lights are purty! you can gaze at them in amazement from the comfort of your own drunken ramblings

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

Yes, I must agree. They're very pretty when under the influence

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

I see at last that they rid the parade of that stupid lamp post that was slap bang in the centre of the vast limestone expanse. It didn't last long.

No doubt they'll deny it's very existance and destroy all documentation pertaining to this ridiculous appointment à la Nineteen Eighty-Four.

Anyway, I wholeheartedly applaud the acknowlegement of the error of their ways, and for being on the right track as regards redemption.

Here's to hoping that the bollards, bins, benches, plants, slabs and utterly vile colour changing lights are the next tragic consequences of this crusade against taste to be rectified.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Threadhead

I walked down in today and it was absolutely filthy. They'd really wanna do a lot more work on that toilet area. I'd go as far as to say the old toilets were infinitely better and they were crap.

These ones are more of an eye sore, their positioning encourages loitering and as I saw today, beers cans lying all over the place and graffitti is springing up all over it in a way that wasn't possible on the old toilets because of the finish.

Next step, neon lighting. Horrendous. Pull those nasty strips right up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 119 ✭✭t63m

“The newly refurbished Parade could be the venue for an international Christmas village, similar to that in Paris, complete with traders from all over the world, a fairytale Santa’s grotto and a traditional carousel,” according to Cllr Andrew McGuinness.

Fairytale indeed- brings to mind the word Grimm
    Andrew should remember some of us travel abroad we are not all d'unbelievable small town types.
    Lets get real -has he actually seen a European market. I believe we'll see an alien landing on those neon strips before anything even resembling a genuine European market appears there.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭JoseJones

Threadhead wrote: »
    These ones are more of an eye sore, their positioning encourages loitering and as I saw today, beers cans lying all over the place and graffitti is springing up all over it in a way that wasn't possible on the old toilets because of the finish.

Yea, they seem to be the newest place for the emo/goth/punk/skater/whatever they're into this week types to hang out. As for the neon lights, I think they look ok.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭Dan Chipowski

Hadn't been down that way for a while, but was today. Agreed on the neon lights, an abysmal idea for what is supposed to be a medieval city.

They've made a balls of it really, and I still can't fathom how it took so many people so long to basically whack down a few slabs and stick in some toilets.

Advertisement