Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parade Rejuvenation Kilkenny

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭englander

I predict some serious falls on that parade coming up.

I was walking down there this morning on what was a relatively dry morning with the occasional patch of dampness on the flag stones.

I almost went 4rse over t!t when a stepped on a very small damp patch which turned out to be icy. (and I had very grippy hiking boots on)

If it was a fairly wet day yesterday and icy overnight that would have been like a skating rink (and no lack of planning permission would stop that !)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Spivet

fabbydabby wrote: »
    I see at last that they rid the parade of that stupid lamp post that was slap bang in the centre of the vast limestone expanse. It didn't last long.

No doubt they'll deny it's very existance and destroy all documentation pertaining to this ridiculous appointment à la Nineteen Eighty-Four.

Anyway, I wholeheartedly applaud the acknowlegement of the error of their ways, and for being on the right track as regards redemption.

Here's to hoping that the bollards, bins, benches, plants, slabs and utterly vile colour changing lights are the next tragic consequences of this crusade against taste to be rectified.

It was always intended to remove the pole, it couldn't be taken down until the new lighting was fully operational

• Registered Users Posts: 26 countrymary

The Parade still looks like a concrete wasteland. When it was just a car park, at least there were people in it. It is cold, ugly and I cannot understand how our borough councillors could choose to do that to Kilkenny City.
    When the insurance claims for tourists and locals who slip on it start coming in we might see changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Lord ButterSlip

Where are the rest of the railings gone? Thats what I would like to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

I'd like to know who gets to stay in the kiosk in the event of an air attack.

The mayor I presume anyway, and some other local VIP's.

• Advertisement

The mayor I presume anyway, and some other local VIP's.

In the event of an Air Raid the disabled toilet becomes the State Appartments.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

haha,
    Looks like something out of Soviet Russia

20100103163336_img_3289.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

In soviet Russia, kiosk parade you

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

One person gets snacks and light refreshments from the Kiosk, everyone else gets sent to a gulag.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 countrymary

The borough council members should just hold their hands up and admit that it is an awful mess and as soon as money allows, shoule undo some of the damage.
    Before another summer comes, they should at least remove the shiny metal poles and knock down the bunker. Could it not be cladded in stone, at least. I can't believe they could not find another location for a toilet, even at either end of the gravel walk, but right in the centre?
    I am embarrassed when friends from other parts of the world come to visit me now, trying to explain that monstrosity.

• Advertisement

The borough council members should just hold their hands up and admit that it is an awful mess and as soon as money allows, shoule undo some of the damage.
    I'll gladly do it free of charge with a sledge hammer.

I don't blame the council members, because I wouldn't expect a league of hick-eyed rural philistines to know any better than shiny pink lights and chrome. The finger of blame should be pointed squarely at the architects, supreme champions of artistic design that they purport themselves to be.

I would love to see the artistic justification for this revolting example of misguided creativity on their part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

I like it now very much. It's a great people watching spot and when the suns shines as it does currently, it's really pleasant to just hang out there. I'm glad we have it now.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

catbear wrote: »
    I like it now very much. It's a great people watching spot and when the suns shines as it does currently, it's really pleasant to just hang out there. I'm glad we have it now.

+1. I do like it, the only thing I'm wary of is the cobbles (on the road) sending me flying some wet day.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Patcha

mfitzy wrote: »
    My dad was saying the same thing last week when we were walking on part of it. As I say, anything Kilkenny Local Authorities are involved with usually does not end well :rolleyes:
    Idont quite agree with you on that.Kilkenny Local Authorities do good work , its the design approval person that seems to get it wrong that seems to get it wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Patcha

I'll gladly do it free of charge with a sledge hammer.

I don't blame the council members, because I wouldn't expect a league of hick-eyed rural philistines to know any better than shiny pink lights and chrome. The finger of blame should be pointed squarely at the architects, supreme champions of artistic design that they purport themselves to be.

I would love to see the artistic justification for this revolting example of misguided creativity on their part.

Well just when we thought it couldnt get any worse Fabby,they have uneiled the front of the court house and my God it is criminal what they have done,The Post box the beautiful specimen red fragrent roses repaced with more euro pave and stainless steel poles.Kilkenny is becoming unbearable.I think its all part of a euro theme that has sterilised the city. It wont be finnished un till they get the new bridge and watch out for the new make over there going to give Johns Bridge on its 100th Birthday, any thing could happen but i guarantee you nothing will be in keeping WITH the traditional built enviroment.

Well, that certainly sucks.

I haven't seen it yet, though I thought the side of it as viewed from the Market yard looked alright, and I thought the excavations were looking promising as well.

I'll have to check that out this weekend. Im sure it will be vile.
    they have uneiled the front of the court house and my God it is criminal what they have done
    I see what you did there. Nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Threadhead

I'm all on for concrete monstrosities when they replace worse concrete monstrosities, ie the Parade.

I'm not a fan when they replace nice verdant cute grass areas with lovely letter boxes. Criminal is the right word for it.

Ok on the courthouse: There used to be cut limestone bollards with real heavy chains going between them they are not going to be put back down, no? I ask because they are currently sitting on pallets tied roughly together inbetween Smithwicks and the Teahouse next to the Dunnes Carpark (Behind the row of trees-go have a look) and so im a bit worried they are going to be 1)Sold 2)Dumped 3)Clad in Chrome and then dumped or 4)Given to appease the all swallowing god of Kilkenny that is Dunnes.

or 5)Dumped.

Who approved this new "Face Of Kilkenny"? Because 1 word comes to mind: Shíte

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭patrickk

The corpo is broke,country is bankrupt and imf is coming so how can anyone justify these renewal projects in last 2 years its beyond me!

Yea well i had a look at it and it is sh!te. Quelle surprise.

I don't know who approved the new 'face of kilkenny' as Lord BS put it, but he or she certainly has a major hard-on for shiny stainless steel, scummy cheap looking slab benches and in particular the use of the above in the close environs of buildings of historical significance.

• Advertisement

...but he or she certainly has a major hard-on for shiny stainless steel, scummy cheap looking slab benches and in particular the use of the above in the close environs of buildings of historical significance.

But who ever thought it would look good? AND as soon as you complian you get the "city renewal blah blah blah bollix". It looks shít.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 PaleKnight

But who ever thought it would look good? AND as soon as you complian you get the "city renewal blah blah blah bollix". It looks shít.

Just visited this sh!te of yours. Was i looking at a different Kilkenny Courthouse to his lordship? Are there two courthouses in your city? Cos this one looks amazing! Both the old front and the new bit round the side look great (and the new bit is huge, breathtaking, and is as good a new front as you'd see anywhere in Europe). Oops! is that the problem my lord - anyone who's seen good stuff abroad musn't contaminate Kilkenny with reports of sh!te from there that doesnt look 200yrs old? Looks to me anyway like the old courthouse is sitting on top of something even much older, jails or somesuch, and in a different style that was probably just as sh!ite looking to your royal ansestors who no doubt wanted it to look just like the old jail underneath, and not like a sh!ite Roman villa (Rome is in Europe, by the way, you xenobhobe)...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

PaleKnight, what's with the Roman Villa reference?

Why do you call Lord Butterslip xenophobic?

I think there might be a different name for fear of city renewal.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

****e planning? :)
    I've not seen the court house yet but people should be aware of "renewel" we've seejn some huge massive mistakes made in this country over the years in the name of renewal and progress.

Something new and shiny can often date very very badly and look like **** in only a few years,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 PaleKnight

PaleKnight, what's with the Roman Villa reference?

Why do you call Lord Butterslip xenophobic?

The Roman thing - just annoyed at Lord BS either ignorantly or facitiously thinking that anything from Europe must be both sh!t and sterilising for kilkenny. Ok maybe the old courthouse isn't like a Roman Villa, but it's like somesort of a building from mainland europe, maybe i meant greece, but its definitely not local. If nothing building-wise from europe had ever come to kilkenny well THEN it would have been sterilised as a mud and wattle dump (and yes probably smelling of s...), but horray for the Roman designers, the greeks, and the normans (they'd be what you call French, lord BS, and all from europe), Kilkenny is a great place to visit. Maybe the world looks different if you have to you there...

Xenophobic in the sense of thinking any ideas from outside his village must be feared...

Didn't notice any benches or postboxes. What's this about rose gardens?! Where? at a courthouse?! surely not? outside a convent maybe...

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

Exactly... I think that instead of the rose garden in front of the castle we should have more 'limestone' paving... more stainless steel too.. maybe, I dunno.... stainless steel bollards perhaps? Maybe cut down the lime trees too and put up a big stainless steel spire thing too while you're at it.

Without having studied it much yet (only driving past), I think the new part is interesting and I think the stainless steel bollards and the paving and slab benches at the front makes it look worse than it did previously.

PaleKnight wrote: »
    Just visited this sh!te of yours. Was i looking at a different Kilkenny Courthouse to his lordship? Are there two courthouses in your city? Cos this one looks amazing! Both the old front and the new bit round the side look great (and the new bit is huge, breathtaking, and is as good a new front as you'd see anywhere in Europe). Oops! is that the problem my lord - anyone who's seen good stuff abroad musn't contaminate Kilkenny with reports of sh!te from there that doesnt look 200yrs old? Looks to me anyway like the old courthouse is sitting on top of something even much older, jails or somesuch, and in a different style that was probably just as sh!ite looking to your royal ansestors who no doubt wanted it to look just like the old jail underneath, and not like a sh!ite Roman villa (Rome is in Europe, by the way, you xenobhobe)...

Ok I have read the last 40 posts or so again to make sure Im not talking shít, and I havent found anything that I said about Europe or anything xenophobic, in fact I havent said anything about anywhere abroad, so I am wondering about that side of your rant. Also I dont have a problem with the new side it seems acceptable to me so, again, I wonder. Now the third thing I wonder about: Do you know your History as well as you know your Spelling? Short answer: No. I tell you a bit, first-Personal: I am not decsended from royals as you would suggest even though my username has a title (its not my real name! *surprise*) and since you have styled yourself a Knight (you spelled that one right, well done!) I dont think it can be presumed that you are also a royal. The second bit: The "jails and somesuch" that you have described beutifully is Graces Old Castle built no earlier than Kytlers in the 1300 to 1400's while the piece on top and the steps either side are Georgian about 1760 to 1820. Now the Romans (its thought, its not certain) never built in anything Ireland certainly not a villa and also the fact that there is, as even you might be able to work out, a roughly 1000 year differance between the building of the earliest surviving piece of Graces Castle and the latest surviving piece of any Roman villas in the British Isles (presuming someone from Ireland went to Britian to see one). 1000 years is well over living memory and so a bit of a difficulty for Georgian Architects to see or have described to them a villa only then to call it shít.

What makes you say it like the only Roman villas were in Rome? I dont understand. I think Ill go back to being a "xenobhobe".
    PaleKnight wrote: »
    The Roman thing - just annoyed at Lord BS either ignorantly or facitiously thinking that anything from Europe must be both sh!t and sterilising for kilkenny. Ok maybe the old courthouse isn't like a Roman Villa, but it's like somesort of a building from mainland europe, maybe i meant greece, but its definitely not local. If nothing building-wise from europe had ever come to kilkenny well THEN it would have been sterilised as a mud and wattle dump (and yes probably smelling of s...), but horray for the Roman designers, the greeks, and the normans (they'd be what you call French, lord BS, and all from europe), Kilkenny is a great place to visit. Maybe the world looks different if you have to you there...

Xenophobic in the sense of thinking any ideas from outside his village must be feared...

Didn't notice any benches or postboxes. What's this about rose gardens?! Where? at a courthouse?! surely not? outside a convent maybe...

Are you telling me that I would think this would be shít and sterilising if it was in Kilkenny:
    mont_st_michel.jpg

As opposed to this:

ypl552%20semi%20dome%20bollard.jpg

I hope youre not.

Also you have progressed, as this:

carnuntum-villa-urbana-090606g.jpg

Is not the same as:

europe-2007.1189285200.kilkenny-old-jail-and-courthouse.jpg

Well done. This picture also shows the Rose Garden that used to be in front of the courthouse, the reason you cant see it now is because its not there, understand?

The attitude behind the "mud and wattle dump" comment by the way is the reason why in 10 years time there will be nothing older than 100 years left in Ireland, "Hey wouldnt that look good with some stainless steel bollards in front of it? Whats that? 200 years old? Ok... Twice as many bollards then!"

"Xenophobic in the sense of thinking any ideas from outside his village must be feared..." As in the conservation of built heritage and its surroundings?

You see problem with ignorant people (thats you and evidently who ever designed the front of the old courthouse) is that they think they are right and can do only right for there entire lives and the problem with trying to tell them how they are wrong is that they wont listen. Nothing anyone says or anything that happens can change this (except maybe death, though even then they die wrong).

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

Cake or Death!

Licksy wrote: »
    Exactly... I think that instead of the rose garden in front of the castle we should have more 'limestone' paving... more stainless steel too.. maybe, I dunno.... stainless steel bollards perhaps? Maybe cut down the lime trees too and put up a big stainless steel spire thing too while you're at it.

Pfft stainless steel bollards?, screw that you get stainless stell bollards and fill them with concrete just so you can have the best of both words....steel AND concrete in one.

It;ll look like something from the year 3000
    :rolleyes:
    :D

• Advertisement

Concrete with re-bar tbh. You've got your impact resistance, and compressive, oblique and tensile strain loading capacity all under one roof. AND you can paint it matt black (classy).

I like concrete with re-bar and long walks on the beach.

Advertisement