Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parade Rejuvenation Kilkenny

Options
1235»

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

Good job there are no beaches in Kilkenny or we would likely have paving and ss bollards instead of golden sand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

They'd pave paradise and put up a parking lot, given half the chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

No prizes for guessing who'd turn up with photographer to cut the ribbon and claim the credit.

Well you can take some solace from the fact that that idiotic air contraption of his will never fly. His investors are wasting their money.

They should know that the nature of man is to walk the earth. Poor fools.

We're talking about the same person, right?

:)Fabby, you're really on form these days.

No I was was talking about someone else of no importance.

Now back to the topic,

I'm really enjoying the the new parade but I acknowledge the concerns of some posters regarding what goes on there at night. I'm rarely down there after dark, early to rise, early to bed.

• Advertisement

Anyone see the new chipper in the Kiosk on the Parade, is it Andy's?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

catbear wrote: »
    Anyone see the new chipper in the Kiosk on the Parade, is it Andy's?

I heard it's your man with the van.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Threadhead

Has he moved from the van into the kiok? Fair play. Hope it doesn't effect his business much.

In all fairness, they're after tidying that Kiok up something decent. I'll continue to call it Kiok until someone can point out where the S is.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Lord ButterSlip

Threadhead wrote: »
    I'll continue to call it Kiok until someone can point out where the S is.

:D

The new parade HAS BEEN SHORTLISTED FOR AN ARCHITECTURAL AWARD!

3003232946_f412af45c9.jpg

For. Fcuk. SAKE!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

Well it just goes to show the difference between how architects see the world and we the plebs see it :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Lord ButterSlip

fabbydabby wrote: »
    The new parade HAS BEEN SHORTLISTED FOR AN ARCHITECTURAL AWARD!

3003232946_f412af45c9.jpg

For. Fcuk. SAKE!

What the "Award for Architectural Excellance in Bollard Alignment" Sponsered by:the-difference-is-were-irish.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 26 countrymary

Well, if the parade gets an architectural award, then we may as well give up trying to make anything of this city. It is the greatest act of civic vandalism every perpetrated in Kilkenny.

I honestly think the demolition of the Imperial Hotel was the worst. It's the bank to the right of mayor's walk now. Used to be a gorgeous old building, kinda like the Left Bank. Was demolished in the 70's and turned into that red brick monstrosity that now lies there.

I like to think that they've learned over the years. And certainly when it comes to preservation they have. But when it comes to renovating areas, do we really need all the concrete and chrome lads? Really?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 countrymary

What's the story with the shed? The bunker was bad enough, but now there's a garden shed there too. There's a video on 32.ie showing it being turned around!!?? I hope this doesn't put the architectural award in jeopardy!

The signage hasn't gone onto it yet but I'm reliably informed it's going to be a Dunnes.

There were also rumours that it might be an Eamon Langton branded tuck shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Well, if the parade gets an architectural award, then we may as well give up trying to make anything of this city. It is the greatest act of civic vandalism every perpetrated in Kilkenny.

That's may be your opinion but many would beg to differ. I think it's a beautiful open space, and provides a wonderful visual vista towards the castle.

I agree Einhard, I like it.

Kilkenny needed civic spaces, car parks are not civic spaces. Before anyone gets pedantic, the castle park is a great civic space but the parade allows large groups to meet up without the risk off it getting mucky. It's recent use by Kilcreene protesters just showed how good a public space it is, the original venue was the Tholsol but the crowd would have been less focused by traffic and shoppers etc...

I'm really glad we have it, I just hope its not given over to those who think it has to be filled with something. My gut instinct tells me we'll probably see flower beds by this time next year.

Edit to ad, that shed is hilarious looking.

I think it's great that we have a Civic space, nobody disagrees with that. What I personally have a problem with is the fact that the people who designed it are philistinic vulgarians who have no concept of taste.

Either that or there was a great deal going on stainless steel bollards.

Advertisement