Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help me out guys?

Options
  • 25-08-2009 10:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭

Four members of my family and I are having a laugh and gonna have our own go at doing some 'come dine with me' dinners. It should be good craic and so far the food has been lovely. My evening is in 3 weeks and I'm just looking for some veggie input.

First things first:
    I can't decide whether I should cook everyone a vegetarian meal (I'm the only vegetarian) just to show them I suppose what food can be like and that the main thing doesn't have to be the meat? Or should I just make myself a vegetarian option? Or maybe ask them what they'd prefer? Like, ring ahead and if the want the veggie dish and I can do that or if they'd like meat then that's not a problem? What do you think is the best thing to do?

Ok, second things, naturally, second:
    We've to do 2 dishes each. It has to be a main course but you have the choice between making either a starter or a desert. If I do the starter then I'd like to make either that or the main vegetarian, just... cos :o Obviously, if I am doing the desert then it won't be a big problem recipe wise but I'd love to hear some nice recipes you guys have for starters and main courses? Has anyone any real knock-out dishes you'd like to share with me?

I'd appreciate any input you've got. I've had a look through the recipe thread but nothing has really jumped out at me.

Thanks guys :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

That's such a cool idea! I'd say that seeing as people have (presumably) been catering to you as a veggie, it might be a bit fairer to return the favour and do meaty dishes for them (though a large part of me wants to advise the opposite :pac:)

Not sure about recipes though, I'm not a very advanced cook :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Sapsorrow

Ha ha I've often thought how I'd kick everyones ass on that programme! I'll pm you my super secret menu when I get a chance!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

oh, cook them veggie! and dessert. yum :)
    Can't think of any particular dishes. Why not just do your favourite main and dessert? I find you always cook better when it's actually something you are looking forward to :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

I'm betting you three ladies would have really good veggie recipies to serve up, but my take on the idea would be to do up the dishes and not mention they are veggie? I'm sure the menu you print up will let them know in advance anyway (a la the tv show).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

I'm betting you three ladies would have really good veggie recipies to serve up, but my take on the idea would be to do up the dishes and not mention they are veggie? I'm sure the menu you print up will let them know in advance anyway (a la the tv show).

That's an interesting idea... Thanks!

• Advertisement

true. but I guess they'd guess beforehand, knowing who is cooking :)

I'll take the compliment, of course we cook very well indeed :D

Well i should have said FOUR ladies! Apologies:eek: But yeah you must all be very good cooks compared to simple me hah:P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭raah!

It's risky business though making veggie for them. Some people really like their meat, you should warn them ahead of time imo.

We had a similar thing in my house recently, where everyone there made a dish on a certain day of the week. I made a veggie bean pasta. They all said it was nice, but alot was left, and could been seen eating ham sandwhiches later :P

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭nervous_twitch

Eh, cook veggie! I wouldnt even consider cooking meat; fair enough, they catered for you as a vegetarian, but I'm sure it didnt repulse them as much as cooking a big lump of carcass would you.. Besides, it is our obligation as vegetarians to prove that meatless meals taste mightier :D

as for what to cook.. hmm, I dont know - I'd probably go for a more veggie-friendly cusine such as Indian. it depends on your family I guess and what they like to eat. Sometimes, as much as I hate to say it, its easier to win over the omnivores with a stodgy, cheese-laden veggie lasagne than a chickpea stew, but have a browse through some online recipes etc and I'm sure you'll work it out. Good luck!

Eh, cook veggie! I wouldnt even consider cooking meat; fair enough, they catered for you as a vegetarian, but I'm sure it didnt repulse them as much as cooking a big lump of carcass would you.. Besides, it is our obligation as vegetarians to prove that meatless meals taste mightier :D

as for what to cook.. hmm, I dont know - I'd probably go for a more veggie-friendly cusine such as Indian. it depends on your family I guess and what they like to eat. Sometimes, as much as I hate to say it, its easier to win over the omnivores with a stodgy, cheese-laden veggie lasagne than a chickpea stew, but have a browse through some online recipes etc and I'm sure you'll work it out. Good luck!

It's not really a thing about converting them to vegetarianism tbh, I just want them to see that what I eat daily is delicious and isn't something second rate, y'know? Like, they don't force me to eat meat or anything... Indian is a good idea! I was gonna do individual roast veg and goats cheese/ricotta tarts but I can't decide whether to do them as a starter or as a main.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

• Advertisement

I love this idea :D

If it was a group of strangers, I would have said cook veggie.
    But as it is family, feck it they have to love you anyway. And a few veg will do them no harm.

Indian is a good idea! I was gonna do individual roast veg and goats cheese/ricotta tarts but I can't decide whether to do them as a starter or as a main.

And the option of having tofu in the Indian dish is even better, because it looks just like chicken and they wouldnt really know the difference by looking at it, only by menu reading :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

It's not really a thing about converting them to vegetarianism tbh, I just want them to see that what I eat daily is delicious and isn't something second rate, y'know? Like, they don't force me to eat meat or anything... Indian is a good idea! I was gonna do individual roast veg and goats cheese/ricotta tarts but I can't decide whether to do them as a starter or as a main.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Veg and goats cheese tart starter, then bombay aloo or aloo gobi for mains with garlic naan. And I really think I should be there to supervise and taste to ensure you do a good enough job.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Cook what you want to cook, isn't that the point? I would cook a veggie dish not cus I would have any interest in 'converting' people but because that is what I cook and what I feel I can cook best. I honestly would be afraid to cook meat now seeing as I haven't eaten it since I was 14 and at that age I didn't do alot of cooking. If I cooked meat I wouldn't be able to taste the food as I cooked and wouldn't have a clue if it was good and would worry about making sure the meat was cooked fully so would burn the crap out of it just to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Missiechan

I think if you have a variety of dishes you'll win them over without having to cook them meat. I have a dish I make specially for when I have a big group coming over and it's always a hit.

Boil a LOT of pasta, and while that's boiling lightly fry some mushrooms and a little onion in olive oil, then towards the end add a few big handfuls of baby spinach (it disappears into the mix, no-one will know it's there). You can add some peppers too if you want. Then mix in the best pesto you can find, stir in the pasta and serve. Put a little parmesan in a bowl beside the platter, they'll love it!

Any idea about dessert? Puddings are my specialty.

Missiechan wrote: »
    I think if you have a variety of dishes you'll win them over without having to cook them meat. I have a dish I make specially for when I have a big group coming over and it's always a hit.

Boil a LOT of pasta, and while that's boiling lightly fry some mushrooms and a little onion in olive oil, then towards the end add a few big handfuls of baby spinach (it disappears into the mix, no-one will know it's there). You can add some peppers too if you want. Then mix in the best pesto you can find, stir in the pasta and serve. Put a little parmesan in a bowl beside the platter, they'll love it!

Any idea about dessert? Puddings are my specialty.

Sounds lovely, maybe without the parmesan :P
    Do you know where I can buy vegetarian pesto?

i've seen one brand (the does green and red pesto) in supermarkets which specifically says 'suitable for vegetarians and vegans' on it. couldn't tell you the name. but it is widely available.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Ouchette

Tesco's discount brand pesto is vegetarian iirc.

I was under the impression that all pesto was vegetarian, am I wrong? I'm a cheese-eater....

Then again, if you have a food processor you could make your own. All you need is some basil, pine nuts, olive oil and a touch of finely grated cheese. You just blend it all together until you're happy with it.

parmesan (main ingredient of pesto) and may other cheeses contain rennet (which is an enzyme taken from the stomach of a cow). there are vegetarian rennet sources available, but they are usually stated as such.

you can read about it on wiki, but the death of the animal is involved, hence it isn't vegetarian. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rennet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭DonnieScribbles

This one is vegetarian, not vegan, and quite expensive:

8001060002319_200.jpg

This one is vegan, cheaper and you can get it in most Tesco's:

Meridian_FreeFr_green_Pesto_170g.jpg

I had a pesto phase for a while there, I feel it coming back now... :)

Thank goodness, I always use Sacla and the label said it was veggie-suitable. That's when I'm not making my own.

For dessert, if you just stew some apple or rhubarb (or both) in a pan with a little water and sugar, top with the basic mix for sponge cake and bake for about twenty minutes. Serve with homemade custard, another big hit.

Advertisement