Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Log

Options
  • 25-08-2009 10:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭

My background. I'm a lazy fat man(over 100kgs). Prone to periods of frequent workouts followed by long absences from the gym.

I've tried starting strength and my version of westside previously. With good improvements on both but not enough dedication.

At the moment I'm recovering from a sprained mcl sustained playing indoor football. Hopefully I'll be restarting this in september.

To try and get up to some sort of fitness I've been messing around with crossfit for a week now. Using crossfit.com's wod. Scaling when necessary(too often)

Thanks for reading :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The_Bullman

18-08

Push Press 1-1-1-1-1-1-1

20x5, 40x3, 60x3

80, 80, 80, 82.5, 85, 87.5, 90f

20-08

Karen - substituted to 20kg thrusters x 150

Time: 26.44

21-08

Walking lunge 100 ft.
    21 Pull-ups
    21 Sit-ups
    Walking lunge 100 ft.
    18 Pull-ups
    18 Sit-ups
    Walking lunge 100 ft.
    12 Pull-ups
    12 Sit-ups
    Walking lunge 100 ft.
    9 Pull-ups
    9 Sit-ups
    Walking Lunge 100 ft.
    6 Pull-ups
    6 Sit-ups

Substituted Pull-ups for jumping pullups

Time 35:49

22-08

Hang power clean 1-1-1-1-1-1-1 reps

20x10, 40x5, 50x3
    60 - 65 - 70f - 65 - 65 - 67.5 - 70

in about 30 minutes

24-08
    Cindy
    Complete as many rounds in 20 minutes as you can of:
    5 Pull-ups
    10 Push-ups
    15 Squats

Managed 6 rounds. Again subbed jumping pull-ups.

• Advertisement

Today

Complete as many rounds as possible 20 minutes of:
    95 pound Thruster, 5 reps
    95 pound Hang Powercleans, 7 reps
    95 pound Sumo Deadlift High-pull, 10 reps

Had 42.5kg on bar.

only 5 rounds here.

Seriously hard to catch my breath. Plenty of room for improvement.

First workout since Tuesday. Fecking work getting in the way. 3 12 hour working days in a row. Back to it today.

Since I think crossfit take Sunday's off I decided to do yesterday's workout today and hopefully I'll get a chance to do today's workout tomorrow. If that makes sense.

Today's workout

Overhead Squat 3-3-3-3-3 reps

Never did this before so had some difficulty adjusting to it. Also used a 10" box to be sure of depth.

20x3 - 20x3 - 20x3
    40x3 - 50x2 Failed on 3rd rep - 50x0 Failed on 1st rep - 45x3 - 47.5x3 - 50x3 Rested on box on 2nd and 3rd reps

A humbling workout. Can't believe the weights are so low.

Didn't get to workout yesterday.

Sort of made up for it today. I'd an hour of 5 a side. First time playing in since I sprained my MCL in June of July. Had some physio on it and was supposed to be able to go back to playing a week ago but it still doesn't feel right. Running and sprinting is fine but its the turning and any shooting or passing that causes the pain. Think I'll have to go back to the physio. Not sure just yet.

Tonight's workout.

For time:
    Row 1000 meters
    95 pound barbell Thruster, 21 reps
    21 Pull-ups
    Row 750 meters
    95 pound barbell Thruster, 15 reps
    15 Pull-ups
    Row 500 meters
    95 pound barbell Thruster, 9 reps
    9 Pull-ups
    If you do not have a rower, replace row efforts with a 1 mile run, 800 meter run and a 400 meter run.

Time: 43:24

Unfortunately I don't have a rowing machine. So I had to run. How I hate running. Another excuse is that my groin is a little tender from last night's return to football. Can't think of any more excuses, apart from my lack of fitness :)

Tonights workout.

"Elizabeth"

21-15-9 reps of:
    Clean 135 pounds
    Ring dips

Used 60kg for cleans and subbed dips for ring dips. Not a fair substitution but I don't have rings, and I'm short on time tonight.

Time: 28.47

Think my fitness is improving. Still have to take many breaks inside the sets. Bring on tomorrow :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

18-08

Push Press 1-1-1-1-1-1-1

20x5, 40x3, 60x3

80, 80, 80, 82.5, 85, 87.5, 90f

nothing wrong with a 90kg push press!! thats some good liftin

How I hate running.

So I was pleased that the guys at crossfit.com decided on tonights workout

Run 5 K

Time: 35.32

Did I mention that I hate running?

nothing wrong with a 90kg push press!! thats some good liftin

It would be good if I got a 90kg push press. I failed at it. Hopefully you won't be disappointed with my 87.5kg :)

Last night's workout.

Deadlift
    3-3-3-3-3

20x10 - 20x10 - 60x5 - 100x5
    130x3 - 150x3 - 160x3 - 170F - 165x3 - 167.5F

Yesterday was a rest day on crossfit.com so I tried Thursdays workout from crossfit.ie. I felt the need to lift somethin heavy and that fit the bill. I'm happy enough with my lifting. 170 was my previous 1RM so I'm happy to get close to it but raging I couldn't pull it. Next time. Next time :)

Just back from

6 rounds for time of:
    Run 400 meters
    25 Burpees

I subbed this to 15 burpees.

Still took me 39.51

I much preferred Friday's deadlifts. I hope for more 1 or 3 rep max days :)

Been out of the gym for a while with working late, and being away in france workin for 2 weeks, and more work.

This week I tried to get back into the swing of it. On Tuesday I tried a 1 rep max on the squat and military press. Poor efforts of 130 at the squat and 65 on the press.

On Friday I tried out Linda. What a bad idea. Too long away from the bar. Everything felt heavy. Only managed 2 rounds in 45 minutes so I gave up at this stage.

And today I tried Amy did 3 rounds in about 16 minutes. Was tight for time and I lost a fair bit of that remembering how to push jerk.

At least I'm back at it. Long may it continue. Less of the doms would be nice though

This week been mad with work again.

Played indoor footie for an hour monday.

Tonight I tried nasty girls from crossfit.ie

3 rounds for time of
    50 air squats
    10 60kg hang power cleans
    7 muscle ups - subbed these for 4 rounds of 4 bar dips and 3 jumping pull ups with slow negatives.

All for a time of 40:55

Been reading up more on crossfit and figured I should consider scaling a bit more. So today I did.

The Workout of the Day(for yesterday) on crossfit.ie was
    30 Box Jumps
    30 Pull-Ups
    30 Deadlifts (Bodyweight)
    30 Ring Dips
    30 Knees-to-Elbows
    30 Double Unders

I did
    20 jump pull-ups with slow negative(don't know how I ended up doing these first probably dreading them the most)
    20 20" box jumps
    20 100kg deadlifts
    20 bar dips
    20 knees to elbows.
    200 singles

The pull-ups and dips were tougher than they should have been with me still fried from Friday. Knees to elbows weren't full rep. Never did them before so just tried to get my knees up as high as possible. Skipping is tough enough for me so just did singles. Tried messing about with double unders before the workout but wasn't getting anywhere.

All that messin about for a time of 27:26

This week I'd the usual hours footie on Monday, followed by another hour of indoor footie.

Friday I followed crossfit.ie's workout of the day.

5 minute skipping warmup.

Strength work
    OH squat 20x5, 30x5, 40x2(failed on 3rd rep twice), 40x2, 40x3

Spicey Meatball:
    3 Rounds of:
    1 min 20Kg Thrusters, max reps
    1 min Burpees, max reps
    1 min 20Kg Hang Squat Clean, max reps
    1 min rest

Round 1: 22 thrusters, 5 burpees, 10 hang squat cleans
    Round 2: 18, 6, 10
    Round 3: 20, 6, 9

Not a great overall workout. I tried the overhead squat for my strength work cause I suck at it. Can't get the technique down at all.

Today I played a full 90 minutes of outdoor, full size pitch football. Played center back, clean sheet, no problems :)

Today I went back to it. Been working about 60 hours a week this last month so been too tired and not enough hours in the day to do a workout. Played indoor footie the last two monday's which was tough with missing a couple of weeks.

Todays workout was mainly trying to get back into the swing of things.

I started off with about 5 minutes skipping, followed by 15 minutes of messing about with my new sled. Just tied up a rope as a harness. Think I'll borrow my safety harness from work next time. Next I learned how to jerk. I had done push jerks before but not the split type. Think I got it.

And finally I did 3 rounds in 12.30 or so of:
    5 x 50kg split jerks and,
    10 burpees.

Bloody awful. Jerks were grand, but like before(only worse) my cardio sucks. Still good to be doing something. Better than randomly squatting and lifting steel and beams in work :)

• Advertisement

Tonight I tried out tabata front squats. Just used the empty bar cause I'd no clue what to be expecting. Think 9 was my worst. 10 my best. Speedy squats aren't my forte :) My legs are quite wracked though :) But 2 workouts in a row. I'm on a roll.

Since last time I played indoor footie Monday and Tuesday night.

Friday - Back to crossfit.ie. I tried my 1rm of back squat. Went something like this:
    5 minute warmup - skipping
    20kg x10, 20kg x10, 60kg x5, 90kg x 5, 110kg x3, 120kg x3, 130kg x1, 140kg Fail. So bloody close. Started out of the hole fine but had to dump it about a third of the way up. Seeing stars after that attempt. And finished with a 135kg x1 rep.

Next on the list was 5 minutes of handstands. I messed about for a couple of minutes but didn't get very far.

Today's workout from crossfit.ie is:
    7 Rounds for time:
    7 Overhead Squats, 45Kg
    7 Pull Ups
    7 Wall Ball Shots

I scaled the oh squats to a mere 30kg. All for a time of 25:16 or so.

In other news I've a medicine ball :) Somehow a basketball found its way into work so I cut it up. Filled it with sand. Duct taped it up. And it was ready for the wall ball shots. Which are harder than I thought they'd be. I had subbed 20kg thrusters previously so I was expecting something similar. But its more tricky dealing with the rebound and accuracy of the shooting.

And another piece of equipment is on the way also. I've made a pair of farmers walk bars. Each weighing 20kg. With room to add on olympic plates. Went for a 100m walk with them in work and they worked the forearms nicely :)

Last night I'd the usual Monday night's indoor football. Played awful.

Tonight I went back to the crossfit.ie wod

Workout of the Day:
    Strength/Skill work

then
    Tabata Mash Up:
    Push Jerks, 60Kg
    Box Jumps

I started off with a 20kg farmers walk for 400m or so. Not sure of the distance. Arms were beginning to fry by the end. Then I stuck 30kg on each arm for a 20 yard walk. I need clips for both ends of my bars. Not nice for the plates to crash to the floor as I walk.

Next was 5 minutes of skipping.

For strength/skill work I guessed I should do some squat cleans. So I did.
    20kg x 10, 30kg x 5, 50kg x 5, 60 x 3, 70 x 1, 80 x 1, and a fail on 90. I really need to work on these. Probably flexibility cause my arms won't allow the bar to touch my shoulders.

Finally for the tabata workout. I did:
    Round 1: Push Jerks - 4, Box squats - 8
    Round 2: 5, 8
    R3, 4, 8
    R4, 4, 9

Not sure (because I was concentrating on not falling on the floor), but my push jerks may have turned into push presses. Or some combo of the two.

Still, enjoyed my workout.

Till next time :)

Started off with the usual 5 minutes skipping to warm up. I'm beginning to get used to it. Don't need to take as many breaks and I'm trying to introduce some tucks for some day being able to do double unders...

After that back to crossfit.ie

Workout of the Day:
    Strength/Skill Work

then
    21-15-9
    Front Squats, 70Kg
    Chest Slapping Push Ups

Today I tried the push press with the following. 20 x 10, 40 x 5, 60 x 5, 80 x 1, 90F, 85 x 1( don't think it counts as I'd to take a step back to regain balance), 85F, 80 x 1, 60 x 4

And in between these reps I just did single pull ups. I'm trying to do a few reps every session to try and get someway decent at them. Of course if I lost some weight then I'd do them no problem but that would be too easy :)

As for the WOD. I scaled to 60kg front squats as the 70's felt too heavy when I tried the first few reps. And I also scaled to simple pushups cause me doing clapping pushups could end in disaster.

All that scaling gave me a time of 16:17 or so. Not as bad as I thought it was. And plenty of room for improvement :)

The usual 5 minutes skipping to warm up. But I think I did a double under when messing about at the start. Tried at the end to do another but couldn't. Must have been a fluke.

Back to crossfit.ie

Workout of the Day:
    Strength/Skill Work

then
    10,9,8…3,2,1
    Push Press, 45Kg
    Pull Ups

Today I tried my deadlift. A lift I've been happy enough with since I used to do starting strength and some westside. Although westside neglects the deadlift I think I threw it in a few times. Anyway, I digress.

20 x 12, 40, x 10, 60 x 5, 90 x 5, 110, x 3, 130 x 3, 150 x 1, 170 x 1, 180 x 1.

And 180 was a new personal best. Which followed the 170 that I cheered myself after cause its the first time I really ground out a rep on the deadlift. I tried to add on more weight but I'd ran out of my even weights and only had a pair of 45lbs left. At this point I recalculated what I'd on the bar and realised that all the weights from 110kg above were 10kg heavier than I thought. So the 170 I ground out was really a new pb of 180 and the 180 is a new pb of 190... I think. I tried 200kg but couldn't even budge it :(

Here's the vid if someone could check my form please. I get the feeling you'll say I was hitching near the end.

After all that I tried out the wod for a time of 17:06. Not too bad. Push presses were easy. Pull ups weren't. I was able to kip most of the way through but I'd to do a few jumping pullups along the way too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭cardio,shoot me

form looked pretty good for a max effort lift to me, there could have been some hitching, but it doesnt look like you needed to, just would have had to grind it out a bit.

Looking strong!

Thanks for that Cardio.

Wasn't feeling too strong today though.

But first. Had a mini workout saturday. Not great. Was supposed to do Nancy but it was raining outside. I started off but ended up doing about 800m of a run instead of 400. Then I tried to oh squat and I just couldn't. Couldn't manage the weight at all. Body was shattered. So I just left. Not a good feeling.

Monday and Tuesday(Last night) I played some indoor football. 4 a side last night so loads of running. And I tweaked my groin monday which added to the enjoyment of last night's game and trying to walk about in work today :)

Tonight I did:
    Workout of the Day:
    Strength/Skill Work

then
    As Many Rounds As Possible in 20 Minutes of:
    10 Power Cleans
    10 Thrusters
    25 Air Squats

For the strength/skill work I did bench pressing.
    Something like this
    20 x 10, 30 x 10, 50 x 5, 70 x 5, 80 x 3, 90 x 1, 100 x 1, 105F, 102.5F, 90 x 2

And I managed 3 rounds and 5 Thrusters of the wod.

Not good on both workouts. Didn't have the gas for the wod. And I was disappointed on the benching. Was hoping to get 105. Been stuck on 100 for too long now.

Decided to change away from crossfit and have joined the many doing 5/3/1

Saturday 2nd Squat
    Worked up to 105 x 9

Monday 4th - Military Press
    Worked up to 50 x 11

Wednesday 6th - Deadlift
    Worked up to 142.5 x 7

Saturday 9th - Bench
    Worked up to 82.5 x 7

Did 2 assistance exercises each day except for deadlift. Wasn't feeling good that day. Was very disappointed with only 7 reps for both deadlift and bench.

I also picked myself up a big tire. No clue what weight it is. Its a Pirelli Cintura RM94 20.5R20. About 4' 6" in diameter and 18" wide. Hoping for the weather to clear so I can give it a go.

Last night I'd my first game of indoor football of the year. Not as tiring as I thought it would be.

5/3/1 Week 2
    Squats

45kg x 5, 55kg x 5, 67 x 3, 87.5 x 3, 97.5 x 3 and 110kg x 10

As I'm just starting 531 its a new personal record. Not sure how to keep track of new pr's.

I followed the squats with loading 1 ton of 40kg bags of meal into a lorry. Which was nice.

When on to walking lunges 20m x 3

And db side bends 30kg x 20, 35 x 20 and 35 x 15

• Advertisement

14-1
    5/3/1 Week 2
    Military Press: 20kg x 5, 25 x 5, 30 x 3, 42.5 x 3, 47.5 x 3, 55 x 8
    Shrugs with my farmers walk bars: 20kg(each arm) x 15, 50 x 5, 50 x 8, 50 x 8, 20 x 16
    BW Dips: 5, 5, 5, 5, 3
    Lat pulldown: stack(64.5) x 15, x 12, x 9, x9

And 2 tyre flips to finish

16-1
    Deadlift: 60 x 5, 75 x 5, 90 x 3, 117.5 x 3, 135 x 3, 150 x 7
    Good Mornings: 20 x 10, 40 x 10, 50 x 10, 60 x 10, 60 x 10
    Situps: 20, 20, 20

And today I did
    11 tyre flips.
    3 x 100m farmers walks with 40kg in each hand.

Not in that order. Did a few flips, then a walk, a few more flips, another walk.

Advertisement