Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pink Floyd-esque please.

• 25-08-2009 10:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭

Righty, I adore Pink Floyd. Basically, they are the most amazing band who ever walked the earth as far as I'm concerned. The thing is, I really want some more psychadelic-type music.

My favourite songs include Us and Them, Echoes, Remember A Day, Interstellar Overdrive, and many others!

Basically, what I want is a similar style of music.... I dunno, this sounds very vague! If people could reccommend me some stuff based on my adoration of the Floyd. I'm onto their early/middle stuff, not so much the Waters period, ie The Wall and The Final Cut. I do like them, just not nearly as much as the rest of their stuff.

So yeah, suggestions please :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

I mentioned them in a prog thread before but 200 Tons Of Bad Luck by Crippled Black Phoenix , has some PF vibes going through it, along with a lot of other bands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Nea

Dunno if you are a Porcupine Tree fan but say this would suit your needs:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭kenon

Jay P wrote: »
    Righty, I adore Pink Floyd. Basically, they are the most amazing band who ever walked the earth as far as I'm concerned. The thing is, I really want some more psychadelic-type music.

My favourite songs include Us and Them, Echoes, Remember A Day, Interstellar Overdrive, and many others!

Basically, what I want is a similar style of music.... I dunno, this sounds very vague! If people could reccommend me some stuff based on my adoration of the Floyd. I'm onto their early/middle stuff, not so much the Waters period, ie The Wall and The Final Cut. I do like them, just not nearly as much as the rest of their stuff.

I've started listening to Sigur Ros a lot recently and find some of their songs to be spacey and slow tempo'd like Us and them and Echoes. Nice and simple, not very wordy.

This one was in Vanilla Sky I think and is an early favorite of mine...

5/6 a side football

Coolmine Sports Centre - Wednesdays - 8pm

PM me for a game

Thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

mastodon- crack the skye

heavier, but for the atmosphere and soundscapes, there isnt much better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Nea wrote: »

Actually on a PT vein, Steven Wilson's solo album "Insurgentes
    " would fit the bill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

Kess73 wrote: »
    I mentioned them in a prog thread before but 200 Tons Of Bad Luck by Crippled Black Phoenix , has some PF vibes going through it, along with a lot of other bands.

I shall check them out, thank you :)
    Nea wrote: »

Not exactly what I was looking for, but sounds intersting. I will also check them out.

kenon wrote: »
    I've started listening to Sigur Ros a lot recently and find some of their songs to be spacey and slow tempo'd like Us and them and Echoes. Nice and simple, not very wordy.

This one was in Vanilla Sky I think and is an early favorite of mine...

Been there, love that ;)

mastodon- crack the skye

heavier, but for the atmosphere and soundscapes, there isnt much better.

Also been there, love that :) Wrong angle completely though! It's too heavy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭waltersobchak

the only bands of can think of would be dream theater,because they have the epic prog influence of the floyd, but with a modern virtuostic edge

here they are doing a cover of Time

the only bands of can think of would be dream theater,because they have the epic prog influence of the floyd, but with a modern virtuostic edge

here they are doing a cover of Time

No thanks. James LaBrie's voice bugs the crap oout of me. I love their instrumentals. And the cover of Dark Side of The Moon is woeful cos of the singer :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭damonjewel

I have been a Floyd fan for 30 years, i first heard relics when I was 8 and was hooked on the weirdness of interstallar overdirve, and Eugene. I too have searched for a band that had a similar epic spacey sound.

Although Floyd are classed as prog rock they have very little in common with their contemparies. They didn't go for the fusion of classical/jazz/rock, weird time signatures, and virtuoso displays. Compare for example Rick Wrights playing to Keith Emerson or Rick Wakemen.

I actually think that bands like Air and Radiohead have more in common with Floyd than King Crimson, Genesis, ELP and such.

You're probably well familiar with Air and radiohead, however if you are looking for spaced out psychadelia then welcome to the Kosmische. You will most certainly get your fix with Krautrock

Agitation Free

Tangerine Dream

Kraftwerk

I can post more if you like this

damonjewel wrote: »
    I have been a Floyd fan for 30 years, i first heard relics when I was 8 and was hooked on the weirdness of interstallar overdirve, and Eugene. I too have searched for a band that had a similar epic spacey sound.

Although Floyd are classed as prog rock they have very little in common with their contemparies. They didn't go for the fusion of classical/jazz/rock, weird time signatures, and virtuoso displays. Compare for example Rick Wrights playing to Keith Emerson or Rick Wakemen.

I actually think that bands like Air and Radiohead have more in common with Floyd than King Crimson, Genesis, ELP and such.

You're probably well familiar with Air and radiohead, however if you are looking for spaced out psychadelia then welcome to the Kosmische. You will most certainly get your fix with Krautrock

Agitation Free

Tangerine Dream

Kraftwerk

I can post more if you like this

WOW! They are class. I had listened to Kraftwerk before, but never really got farther than The Model, and had heard of Tangerine Dream but never got around to checking them out. Seriously, thank you!

• Advertisement

WOW! They are class. I had listened to Kraftwerk before, but never really got farther than The Model, and had heard of Tangerine Dream but never got around to checking them out. Seriously, thank you!

The Kraftwerk stuff comes from the little known album called Ralf and Florian, Kraftwerk1 and 2 are also of the same material. From Autobahn onwards the more electronic stuff that most people are familiar with comes in.

I'd make your way carefully back through Tangerine's collection. Phaedra and Rubycon are quite accessible compared to Zeit, Alpha Centauri, Electronic meditation and Atem. Which are fairly spaced out albums (Although I really like them).

Heres some more from the Kosmische

Amon Duul II

Ash Ra tempel

Neu!

Popol Vuh

Cosmic Jokers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭robby^5

Kraftwerk are amazing and I'm a huge Pink Floyd fan, the greatest band ever.

I'd rank Die Mensch Maschine, Trans Europa Express and Computerwelt as Kraftwerks best albums and highly recommend them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,869 ✭✭✭RayCon

Try Astra - The Wierding - it's got elements of Meddle era Floyd on it ...

http://www.myspace.com/astrasound

RayCon wrote: »
    Try Astra - The Wierding - it's got elements of Meddle era Floyd on it ...

http://www.myspace.com/astrasound

Very nice, thanks for the link. Spaced out mellotrons and laid back jams.

Advertisement