Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Need help - Lowering car

• 25-08-2009 11:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭

Right, I've picked up a set of 17" wheels for cheap. The car in question (mk1 3dr Focus) needs two tyres, so I opted to buy a set of wheels & tyres now instead.

The thing is, I think when I get the new wheels on, the car will look like its on stilts. It'l really annoy me, so i'll have to do something about it.

So, a few questions -

1 - What is required? Do i only need new springs, or do I have to replace the shocks too? Im not looking to drop it to the road, just a few mm to take the naff look away.

2 - The costs. How much would it typically cost to lower a car?

3 - Where would I buy the above parts? Would the normal motor factors down the road stock them, or is it an order off the net jobby?

Apologies for what seem like daft questions, I dont normally deal with the modding side of motors, only sales.

Cheers,
    DB

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 889 ✭✭✭hi_im_fil

1 - Springs alone should do the job if you only drop it 20-40mm but standard shocks are known to wear quicker when used with lowering springs. Any more than 40mm and uprated shocks should be used. If your shocks are old/worn it may be worth fitting uprated ones while you're at it.

2 - Springs alone can be bought for less than €150. Shocks I'm not 100% sure on tbh. You could fit them yourself if you are handy wity a set of spanners (spring clamps will be needed however). A mechanic would charge 2-3hrs labour to fit them.

3 - Off the net job would be the best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭pablosd

well in terms of lowering the car the only option is a set of coilovers imo,
    buying springs only will save you money on a short run as if you fit lowering springs onto a standard shock, the shock will get bo**oxed after about 6moths causing ride quality to become worse and worse and then you will end up buying new shocks anyways,
    so my advice is cough up few extra euros and buy adjustable coilover set which will lower your car and improve ride quality saving you money on the long run

you can get coilovers ebay

jamex ones are about 349euros + p&p

spax adjustable coilovers are round 600euros +p&p

spax is well known aftermarket suspension brand

hope it helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

So, it looks more like adj coilovers instead of just the springs? I'll check them out, cheers.

How much do you want to drop the car by? Tbh I'd only go for coilovers if I was dropping more than the 30-40mm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

Not a whole lot really. Prob no more than 20-30mm

• Advertisement

No need for coilovers then imo. Maybe check out owners forums and check if the shocks wear out very quickly if dropped that much.

If it turns out you need a shock and spring set, then I would go for the coilovers

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

no need for coilovers at all imo.
    a nice subtle drop of 20-30mm from the springs will be fine.

i had progressive springs in my old Teg Type R for 2 years without one problem, my GF has them in her 2004 Civic since the day it left the garage in 2004 and again, not a problem.

as longs as you dont need 40+mm of a drop, springs are ok.

Advertisement