Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Airsoft Sniper - Serial - Part 2

Options
  • 25-08-2009 11:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭

The Airsoft Sniper – Part two
    Gear and equipment:
    Personally being a strong proponent of the ‘simple is best’ school of thought. I loath to over burden myself in the field: Never is this more important than for the sniper.
    Your equipment plays a vital role in your effectiveness in the field, your comfort, and the simplicity of your job. Big bulky vests and body armour may be perfectly suitable for stand up fighting. But have you crawled across a field in one? I didn’t think so… Geardo’s don’t tend to like mud on their weesatch.

What does one need to carry to be effective in the role of the sniper? Firstly and foremost, spare ammunition; either in magazines, or loose in a bag or speed loader.
    I prefer to use one magazine, and reload by hand, when stealth requires it, or with a speed loader when possible. Spare magazines cost unnecessary money, require more space, and if you need to reload that quickly… you are doing something fundamentally wrong.

Secondly; a sidearm. Usually this is a contentious topic amongst global Airsoft forums on the subject of sniping. ‘Wot am best sniper sidearm’ threads growing like a fungus with replies from those who know, and from those who play call of duty.
    Reading these threads, usually induces a migraine, but the time’s I’ve managed to complete one, I’ve come to recognise several schools of sniping within Airsoft.
    Firstly, we have the Sunday skirmisher. These vary hugely. There is the practical dedicated sniper, carrying a pistol as sidearm and sometimes the more serious ninja; a silenced nbb for that stealth factor. Excellent choice in my book… However the ever so popular and effective mk23 socom is a tad mahoosive for everyone.

The second form of the Sunday skirmish sniper, is what I call the ‘Call of Duty’ type.
    They usually carry a sniper rifle alone, and run around like a regular rifleman using this as their ‘extra range and zoom’ gun. Some use a pistol, and some use what I will come on to next.

The SMG. Favoured by special forces and keyboard snipers around the world. For some reason beyond me, its become a trend on internet forums for ‘snipers’ to talk about how an mp5k is a good idea for a backup, or similar smg’s going up to patriot m4s, umps, and other equally ungainly weapons. Practically speaking, these weapons tend to restrict movement, snag on things, and be unnecessary weight for the sniper. In my view, if you need full auto backup, you are either already destined for regen, or have screwed the pooch in stealth terms.

Holsters form an interesting topic amongst Airsofters. Everyone has a personal preference, and most do not like the same system as the last player. These vary from cloth, plastic, dropleg, or belt and many other combinations. Personally I do not find that it matters too much which you prefer, as long as you are happy. However. Dropleg holsters do tend to snag more when crawling, and if worn over a suit, will cause problems. I’d advise a belt holster of some form suited to you. Playing the role of the sniper can involve a lot of crawling, one of the best ways to dump mags and pistols in the undergrowth. I personally use a Blackhawk Serpa to counter this… The polymer design and retention system stop the sidearm slipping out, and loosing mags is next to impossible as the frame cannot press the mag release as some fabric designs tend to.

Next, the sniper must carry water; essential to survival, in or out of game. During Sunday games in my experience, Airsofters do not hydrate enough: Keep hydrated, your mind is sharper. One problem with canteens is generally their bulky size. When worn in the typical location, on the rear of a belt kit, they can cause an ungainly lump at the rear of a prone sniper’s silhouette. If one has a particularly large rear end, it’s worse… If you do decide to use a canteen, wear it on the rifle side, (The side of your body you shoulder the rifle to). When prone, this offers a lower signature, and will effectively counterbalance any weight on the offhand side (Side of the body opposite to the side one shoulder’s the rifle.) I personally wear a canteen on my right kidney. It reduces my signature, but allows me to holster my P226 with effective space to draw. Canteens do work well, and have for centuries, but I will make two suggestions. Firstly. There are civilian / ‘Nalgene’ brand bottles that are slimmer and narrower, while holding a similar volume of water. They are easier to wear on ones belt kit. A more effective method is the ‘camel back’ hydration bladder system. Easily worn under the ghillie suit, these slim packs allow the sniper to hydrate with minimal physical movement, and also reduces the gear on ones belt. A double bonus in my book.

Other Items kept on one’s belt kit is personal. With the fundamentals of water, sidearm, and spare ammunition, one is capable of carrying out the role. But it is by no means all one needs. Each Airsofters is an individual, and their personal preferences vary. Add what you feel helps you be better…

I would advise the belt kit option over most others. It keeps your front clear, and allows one to get lower to the ground when prone. Chest rigs will get in the way, and assault vests are plain useless. Your gear is your choice, and what you carry also. But sometimes a little expense to improve your game is worth it. Picking gear to suit your role and improve your game will make you more effective, and you will have a better experience.

The Sniper Team:

At Sunday games, It is entirely possible to play the true movie sniper… the lone hunter against the world. It can hone ones skills, and teach you more effectively than being a squad member due to the reliance on your own skills and senses. However, The sniper’s role is not only that of the hunter. Observation, reconnaissance, Target elimination, and area denial roles are central. Its possible to do this alone, but it is extremely difficult.

A spotter in the real world helps the number one (the shooter) to make the shot, perform observation roles, and act as backup if needed. In Airsoft, they can perform a similar role depending on the requirement. In Sunday games, the spotter can help the sniper find targets, and watch their back. If rumbled, they can provide much needed automatic fire power to assist with the escape and evasion of the team. At milsim games, the spotter can perform the same basic roles. Firepower, a second pair of eyes and further more, they can assist with observation tasks, by allowing the shooter time to rest, while keeping eyes on. The main advantage of working with a spotter, is that the sniper is more free to concentrate on the shot, while knowing their back is covered.

Within Airsoft, the sniper team can operate in a variety of ways. Individual cam and concealment for the sniper and spotter, is identical. Both must wear ghillie suits, and operate interchangeably… It’s good practice in Airsoft for both members to be snipers in their own right. Just as in the real world. Both are capable of taking the shot, and both understand positioning, and stealth and will be more attuned to the other member of the team. The core principal of a sniper team is a greater partnership than squad members. The two operate together for extended periods of time, usually alone. They must depend on each other, and be comfortable with each other. Sniper and Spotter being at each other’s throats makes them tactically useless… Advice… Like your spotter…

Team Equipment:

Between the team extra equipment can be carried. This can be advantageous to the operation of the sniper team. First and foremost, the spotter must have some form of zoom optic to assist the sniper with target acquisition. In real terms, a spotting scope, but this is Airsoft… Decent spotting scopes are too high power, too expensive, and pointless… A good Zoom acog, or telescopic sight of some form on the spotter’s aeg is usually enough. OR, should the spotter choose to carry a digital range finder. (Aldi sell a quite adequate one for 12 euros with 5x zoom I picked one up to try it out.)

The subject of rangefinders themselves is contentious. Some don’t find them useful, some do. After a while shooting, it is possible to gauge range mentally, and depending on fps, its irrelevant. However, for longer range shots, it can be helpful with knowing your rifle’s trajectory at range, and taking that one effective shot. It is also effective for observation missions, where knowing how far away a target is from your position can be useful information for a commander and this extends far beyond your range of engagement.

The spotter’s rifle depends on their taste. But I personally find an automatic rifle more effective than a spotter carrying a DMR type rifle. Automatic fire can be useful to break contact should it come to that. I find bullpup rifles perfect for the job. They couple the good longer range accuracy of the long barrel, with the manoeuvrability and smaller silhouette of a smg or smaller weapon. This allows the spotter to move more effectively in the field, without waving a long m16 barrel around and hanging it off a tree.

Grenade launchers can be effective in real life, but in Airsoft, I find them pointless. They create extra weight, and have little effective use compared to a burst of auto fire.

The sniper team’s role within an organised team varies. Depending on what the commander tasks the sniper team with, they may not fire a shot, or may be positioned to provide a barrier. The sniper is a tool of fear. And used effectively by a commander, they can deny a large area to the enemy, even beyond their range of engagement.

This task or tasks can be undertaken by lone snipers also, but again, remember that in an observation role for 8 hours, a lone sniper may be required to be alert for 8, whereas a sniper/spotter team, will have 4 hours each of alertness, and 4 of rest, allowing them to maximise their alertness and efficiency.

Within a squad, a sniper can effectively operate as a marksman. Certain aspects of cam and concealment can be ignored as a section is generally as subtle as a cat with a sugar high. The role is more high speed, and positioning is generally on the fly, with less consideration to pre-positioning and waiting for the enemy. Being to aim and fire faster, is more important, usually this is the realm of the designated marksman, with a semi auto rifle tuned to its maximum efficiency.

The choice of gear and the choice of team, or solo are highly personal. Choose what you find better, and what suits you best for your game. Most advice I give in this article is for the dedicated sniper, Marksmen; pick and choose what you take to heart, and what suits your specific required role.

From the Author: Hey guys, Hope you enjoy this. I'm sorry it took so long, but I've been snowed under with work, and testing new toys... Fieldcraft was too large a subject to tack on to this one... its already quite long. So It will be the third installment, which ought to be here sooner!

Advertisement