Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

今年のLeaving Cert

• 25-08-2009 11:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭

リビングサルと =Leaving Cert???

だれが勉強しますか?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭H2student

I am but I'm still not 100% confident about what to do for the oral and I got no teacher! Anybody who did it mind sharing their experiences?

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭clartharlear

どこに住んでいますか。 先生は? 自分で勉強しますか?

I don't know much about the oral myself, but would like to hear of anyone's experiences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 359 ✭✭pervertedcoffee

Hi guys!

I taught myself Japanese this year and got a B1 - so you can do it!!

Anyway - the oral as it was this year was:

Section 1:
    General Q&A, mostly age, address, family, school. Basically a self-intro broken up by qs. Now the examiner may, if s/he feels you're confident enough on one question, ask a little more.

For example:
    A:犬 が あります か? (Do you have a dog?)
    B:はい!
    A: どんな いぬ です か?(What kind?)
    B: やさしい ですよ! (Very sweet.)

Now try and cover your part time job aswell because my book (nihongo kantan) didn't really have much on that and I was a bit shakey there.

Section 2:
    You will be given a topic that you will have to disscuss in-depth. Mine was my weekends and I had prepared a bit about walking to the beach with my dog every day, studying at the beach, eating lunch and going home before going to pubs with friends and drinking whiskey (complete lies) (too lazy to do it in Japanese).

Your topic wil be chosen thus:
    Pick between two cards. Each card has three options. Pick one. There's your topic. You then will be given some paper and a pen to think about what you want to say and write it down (in english/japanese/french/etc.).

You'll talk for about 2-3 minutes and then she'll ask questions for another 2-3 minutes (no more than 5 mins should be spent on section 2).

Section 3:
    You get to choose one of two photos to talk about - again I think you get about a minute to think about what you want to say. Then you'll be asked questions.

I had a picture of a girl and an older woman (I assumed it was her mom) eating. So I got asked things like what kind of room is it (western/japanese)? Why? What time of the year is it? Why? Do you think it's a family? Where's the dad? And because they were eating I got some general Q's about food.

And then...You're done ^^-
    Hope that helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

A:犬 が あります か?

いますか ^^

>w< summer brain!!!! :D Thanks^^

• Advertisement

FruitLover wrote: »
    いますか ^^

Hah! I wasn't going to say it because I thought it would be too mean post exam!

Thanks for your input, Pervertedcoffee - did you have someone to study with or was the first time you'd ever orally communicated in Japanese the day of your oral? (That was the case in my Irish oral!!)

I was completely solo, so yes the first serious convo in Japanese happened on the day of the exam...BUT I had listened to Japanese so much (either through anime/podcasts/old tape tests, etc.) I was fairly confident speaking. Oh and I suppose it helped that I'd forced myself to think in Japanese too and I was also known for conjugating verbs/adjectives aloud on the corridor - oh yes I was insane.

Unfortuneately I didn't have anyone nice enough (unashamedly self plugging here) to go through the process of the oral exam with me!! So hopefully knowing what you're up against will save you some worry.

I suppose really it's like the JC French Oral - unless you can show your level is higher than that, then you will be asked something more complicated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Cerise92

i'm thinking of taking up japanese in my leaving cert on my own but i have no idea where to start with. i read the LC japanese syllabus and found that it's quite interesting to do.
    can anyone kindly tell me where can i start with? thanks

Step #1: Learn off the hiragana and katakana.
    It's not as hard as it looks. Stickies with useful links are on the top of the forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭keiran110

alljapaneseallthetime

The best method out there that works. Also the method that makes the most sense.

• Advertisement

リビングサル  リービング サート。:)

or you could translate it as 高等統一試験 :D

犬が,ありますか?I would say (1) 犬を飼(か)っていますか?(Do you own a dog)
    got a B1

A1 :) Mind you I did have a unfair advantage of been Half Japanese & lived in Japan for 15 years. :p

Step #1: Learn off the hiragana and katakana.
    It's not as hard as it looks. Stickies with useful links are on the top of the forum.

+1 that's the way to do it. :) 
    once you finished with ひらがな move on to 漢字。 
    Have a look at a 漢字一覧表(kanJi chart)。http://www.kyoiku-shuppan.co.jp/syosya_shodo/sho_kanji_main.html
    Shows you all the kanji that you would learn in 1 - 6 grade primary school.
    That''s not including what you learn in junior high. ;) In total 常用漢字(jōyō(every day use) kanji) 1945 charachters.
    I only did about 1500 up to 2nd year Junior High. and probably half of that I can read but wouldn't remember when writing. :P :o

I'm impressed with the level of Japanese on this broad though.

damm .....I wanna go back to Japan :(

Advertisement