Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

European xbox in Oz

Options
  • 26-08-2009 12:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭

Hy,

Does anyone know if a European xbox will work in Oz, will games bought here play on it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

Yeah, they both come under the PAL domain.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Ozeire

Well i have a Wii that was bought in Oz for me and working fine here in Ireland so i'm sure the the same the other way round for the Xbox . The plugs are the only thing different .

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

The Xbox itself will work with the mains electric and the TV's and any games that you buy in Europe will continue to work on it.

Australia is region 4 though and Europe is region 2, so unless you buy region free games and DVD's then any new ones that you buy in Oz will not work.

Edit: You'll probably also have problems if you connect to Xbox live marketplace to buy any games/ movies/ stuff online that way as well as it will detect that your in a different region from where your Live account is registered and some content is blocked in some regions. That will not stop you playinggames on Live! though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭coldfeet

Cheers robinph, thats exactly what I was looking for. You just saved me a few dollars

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

robinph wrote: »
    Australia is region 4 though and Europe is region 2, so unless you buy region free games and DVD's then any new ones that you buy in Oz will not work.

Video games are different from DVDs and do not fall under the same region descriptions. Europe and Oceania both come under the 'PAL' region, therefore there should be few problems with playing games on a European console. I have already bought a few games for the Xbox with no problems. Can't say the same for DVD's though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

m@cc@ wrote: »
    Video games are different from DVDs and do not fall under the same region descriptions. Europe and Oceania both come under the 'PAL' region, therefore there should be few problems with playing games on a European console. I have already bought a few games for the Xbox with no problems. Can't say the same for DVD's though.

I do apologise, a slight brain fade on my part back there.

DVD's will not work.
    Games will work.
    Marketplace content might be restricted in what you can purchase.

Advertisement