Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dell PC completely crashed after xp service pack 2 update

• 26-08-2009 12:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭

I really hope someone can help me on here, I've searched all over google and still not found an easy remedy.

Basically I updated my Dell Dimension 9200 pc to Windows XP SP2 but after the update my computer wont boot into windows, have tried using all the recovery options, safe mode etc. but to no avail.

I have found on the web that the problem seems to be that i need to update the bios on my computer to make it compatible with SP2, however i cant do this without at least having access to safe mode.

I do have a back up of most of my stuff from the pc but there are a few things i dont have backed up that i'd like to keep.

Also i committed the sin of not creating a boot disk for my pc in the first place.

I was thinking if i booted from a different harddrive ( i.e. borrowed a friends) then i could update the bios and try to boot my hard drive then?
    Does anyone know if this will work or has anyone come across this problem before?

Also is there a way to use an external usb based hard disk to boot the computer and thereby eliminating the need to tak out my own hard disk?

Any help greatly appreciated, I've already spent ages researching this, just to get this far!!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭An Fear Aniar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭fergusman

Kinda looked down this route already the problem is the dell bios update is designed to be run from a windows environment, but i cant get into windows with my current bios even with a bootdisk, its a catch 22.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭wolfric

live cd.
    use linux (easiest to find, ubuntu or something)
    or windows live cd http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

You should never install one f those service packs as a standalone install because it 'always' messes the system up. I just use Windows Update myself and choose which features I want to install. THe only way I ever install a service pack standalone is when I completely wipe my hard-disk first.

ie - install things in this Order: OS; service pack(s); software.

Who said he did it as a stand alone?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

wolfric wrote: »
    Who said he did it as a stand alone?
    I assumed that he did by the way he phrased his post. Why do you care? Go to bed young lad.

Go figure... If you've nothing intelligent to say then just retort something meaningless and stupid....

http://support.euro.dell.com/support/downloads/driverslist.aspx?c=ie&l=en&s=gen&ServiceTag=&SystemID=DIM_PNT_9200_XPS_410&os=WW1&osl=en&catid=&impid=

You'll find an update for the bios here. A friends hard drive should also work fine.

Kevster wrote: »
    I assumed that he did by the way he phrased his post. Why do you care? Go to bed young lad.

I actually used windows update, it wasnt standalone, never had a prob like this before.

wolfric wrote: »
    live cd.
    use linux (easiest to find, ubuntu or something)
    or windows live cd http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

Thanks Wolfric,
    just one more question I've downloaded ubuntu and am going to try to use it first (quicker than taking out tand hooking up another hard drive) I'm just wondering will it cause any problems installing ubuntu with win XP still on my computer? and is it easy to remove again after so it doesnt use up resources?

Thanks for all your help guys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

boot into safe mode and Do a system restore . Normally there is a restore point set before you update

Edit . You tried this already . sorry

• Advertisement

you don't have to install ubuntu. The whole benifit or something like that is that it's a live cd so you don't need a hard drive to boot up (ie you don't have to borrow your friends or use your own).

If you're unfamiliar with linux i'd probably have sugested using the windows live cd.
    The basics of what you need to do is get "wine". it'll allow you to run windows programs on linux. Then follow the link to the dell website and download the bios update. Run it then restart... hopefully that should solve your problem.

Advertisement