Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Compulsary leave

Options
  • 26-08-2009 1:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

Hi,
    My lil sis has started working for a financial services firm in the big smoke. On her contract it says that she is entitled to 25 days annual holidays per year. Then later on it mentions that the firm will be closed for 5 days in July which is "compulsary leave".

What is compulsary leave, and will these 5 days count as part of her 25 days annual paid holidays?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Hi,
    My lil sis has started working for a financial services firm in the big smoke. On her contract it says that she is entitled to 25 days annual holidays per year. Then later on it mentions that the firm will be closed for 5 days in July which is "compulsary leave".

What is compulsary leave, and will these 5 days count as part of her 25 days annual paid holidays?

Thanks

As far as I understand it, the 5 days are counted in the 25.

Your sister will still be paid for these days and she'll have her 20 days for the rest of the year. Pretty good position to be in really. Most people I know get the minimum 20 days a year.

Could be totally wrong so her best bet is to ask HR.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

An employer in Ireland has the right to decide (with reasonable notice) when an employee takes their annual leave. The five days will be part of the 25.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Many places close down for annual leave.
    I have worked in factories which have closed down for two weeks during the summer.
    In the past, I believe this was normal, not so much these days.
    Many places still have annual leave over Christmas for example, where the company will close down for a week or so.

Either way, any company has the right to decide when the annual leave will be.
    Your sisters 5 days will be taken from the 25 and she still has 20 to play with.
    btw - part of my job is looking after the wages of 100 staff, so the above is correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Why the spoiler tags?

Incidentally some companies only give the statutory 20 days and make you take compulsory days out of that, so she's not doing too badly out of it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jobucks

Seems she's in a really great position there, I get 20 days holidays per year, we close for 2 weeks in the summer (builders holidays) so 10 days of my holidays are gone straight away, then we have to keep another 5 days for Xmas, leaving me with 5 days for the rest of the year.

She's very lucky to have 25 days hols and yes I believe the 5 days would definitely come out of this, leaving her with 20 days to play around with... nice:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement