Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ennis may not get a 120KPH increase on its motorway bypass

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 250 ✭✭giveth

If only they had the same concern for roads around the Burren which have 100kmph speed limit but anything over 50kmph is dangerous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭drunken_munky52

"However, a spokeswoman for the National Roads Authority said the road was fully tested for compliance with motorway design, including the interchanges, prior to a recommendation being made that they be redesignated.

She said the authority was aware of the concern locally, and the authority had arranged to reassess its designation for the Ennis bypass. However, it had been found to be within safety parameters."

The NRA will have the last word on this and it looks like they already have.

If I am using the Tulla or Barefield slip roads, I simply drive along the hard shoulder until I'm up to atleast 100 and then pull out (in heavy traffic only). You can see that the road markings are wearing away already from people doing this. They could simply extend the road markings as a cheap option or extend the slip way which is expensive.

Same story with ridiculous road markings on the N19 at the turn off for Smithstown, there is no way you can get out there without using the hard shoulder in the mornings.

Remember Seymour Skinner driving the school bus? The exactly what people should not do in these situations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭romah

Once the signs were put up ..it HAS become a motorway

Normal speed is now 120 kmph and thats in the inside lane

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

romah wrote: »

Are the speed limit signs saying 120 now? It's all a bit confusing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Greenacres

Not so. Motorway does not automatically mean 120kmph. Any speed limit can be imposed. Happens all the time for roadworks. Signs say 100kmph, until they are changed, the limit is that. You adhere to displayed speed limit, not just cos signs are blue and the N is now M.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Most of the M50 is 100 KPH and its a designated motorway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,606 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

"However, a spokeswoman for the National Roads Authority said the road was fully tested for compliance with motorway design, including the interchanges, prior to a recommendation being made that they be redesignated.

She said the authority was aware of the concern locally, and the authority had arranged to reassess its designation for the Ennis bypass. However, it had been found to be within safety parameters."

The NRA will have the last word on this and it looks like they already have.

If I am using the Tulla or Barefield slip roads, I simply drive along the hard shoulder until I'm up to atleast 100 and then pull out (in heavy traffic only). You can see that the road markings are wearing away already from people doing this. They could simply extend the road markings as a cheap option or extend the slip way which is expensive.

Same story with ridiculous road markings on the N19 at the turn off for Smithstown, there is no way you can get out there without using the hard shoulder in the mornings.

Remember Seymour Skinner driving the school bus? The exactly what people should not do in these situations.

They've widened the road between shannon and ennis by moving the yellow line about a foot to the left, however, the cats eyes are all still in their original position which is really distracting, hopefully they're going to move them to their correct place

re: the slip roads, they're dangerous getting onto the motorway, but the getting off at the tulla exit the turn off towards the roundabout is extremely acute and you need to slow down before you even get on the slip road and nake sure your brakes are up to scratch and your tyres are in good nick. On an icy morning or if there is an oil spill, there will be a horrendous accident there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,379 ✭✭✭Tefral

Not true.. in Legislation its not a motorway till tomorrow at 00.01 am...

Legislation not yet passed
    Speed Limit signs say 100 kph

but

i travel the road every day and 120 kph is now the average traffic speed

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Greenacres

Legislation not yet passed
    Speed Limit signs say 100 kph

but

i travel the road every day and 120 kph is now the average traffic speed

Ah sure if everyone else is doing it then that makes it ok.:p

I travel that road everyday too and people have been driving over the 100kmph for long before the Motorway change was announced. Doesn't mean I can too, legally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

Well it's not a motorway yet is it? Those signs saying it's the M18 are painted over so it's not technically a motorway yet.

I actually think that 120 kph is too fast a speed for the Ennis - Shannon stretch of road . Bear in mind there is solid concrete barrier all the way down the outside of the "fast lane" ..
    Also it makes no sense to end the new "Motorway" at Smithstown and still have N18 all the way into Limerick from there until the tunnel open probably.
    Talk about inconsistency

Jay P wrote: »
    Well it's not a motorway yet is it? Those signs saying it's the M18 are painted over so it's not technically a motorway yet.

Nearly every sign post on the way home (from Shannon to Ennis) says "M18".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 373 ✭✭emanresu

... Also it makes no sense to end the new "Motorway" at Smithstown and still have N18 all the way into Limerick from there until the tunnel open probably.
    Talk about inconsistency

It will still be the N18 between the Shannon junction and the tunnel even after the tunnel opens. That part can't be changed to a motorway.

I actually think that 120 kph is too fast a speed for the Ennis - Shannon stretch of road .
    In practicality (at least in my experience) the speed limit seems to be 120 kph already :D. Are there many more accidents on that road than most?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,502 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Potentially extend the diverging lanes, put them on 100km/h, dropping to 80 and then 60 and add rumble strips and an anti-skid surface (usually stone chippings on a "glue").

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭drunken_munky52

Also it makes no sense to end the new "Motorway" at Smithstown and still have N18 all the way into Limerick from there until the tunnel open probably.
    Talk about inconsistency

I brought this up in the post "Clares first motorway". Drumline to Coonagh motorway will never happen, unless the spend 100 of millions on just hiring the engineers to come up with designing it. If I were living in one of those adjacent houses, I wouldnt like my drive way out onto a motorway, which is the case along that stretch.

Luckily, dreadful 70s/80s planning is over.

The Newmarket bypass was built with the intention of motorway status in the future. Future proofing all new roads in the future is the way to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

omahaid wrote: »
    Nearly every sign post on the way home (from Shannon to Ennis) says "M18".

No but just when you get on the road for the first time, there's a sole sign that says what road it is. At Dromoland anyway this sign is painted grey so I'm fairly sure that means the road isn't an actual motorway yet.

Look like we're getting it today

http://www.transport.ie/pressRelease.aspx?Id=124

Although it does say that temporary speed limits can still be in place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,104 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I actually think that 120 kph is too fast a speed for the Ennis - Shannon stretch of road . Bear in mind there is solid concrete barrier all the way down the outside of the "fast lane"

Italian autostrada have the exact same construction (and the same short on-ramps as the Tulla Road and Barefield junctions) and have a limit of 130km/h.

(and it's the overtaking lane...)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

phutyle wrote: »
    Italian autostrada have the exact same construction (and the same short on-ramps as the Tulla Road and Barefield junctions) and have a limit of 130km/h.

(and it's the overtaking lane...)
    You cannot compare Italian drivers with Irish drivers.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Jim Martin

You cannot compare Italian drivers with Irish drivers.:rolleyes:
    The boy racers here are worse!

Advertisement