Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing locks on pvc front door

Options
  • 26-08-2009 10:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Hi
    I need to change the locks on my front door, it's a standard white pvc/aluminium door (sorry im a single female living on my own, dont know exact lingo!).
    I really cant afford much and need 2 do it soon for security reasons. Can these locks be bought in say b&q and cud I maybe get my father/brother in law to change? Or do i have to call out a locksmith and pay a lot of money?
    Or cud you advise me of someone who could do cheap or as a nickser??

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭doubtfir3

You can do it yourself.

Basically all you need is a philips head screwdriver and a measuring tape or ruler.

When you have the door open, you will see a screw on the side of the door which is on the face of the lock. Remove it - it holds the lock barrel in place.

Put the key in the lock and turn it slightly from side to side you will be able to pull/push the barrel out.

Then you take a ruler and measure from the centre of the hole on the side of the barrel to the end of the barrel, and then from the centre of the hole to the other end of teh barrel and use these measurements when getting your new lock - a locksmiths or B&Q etc will have them.

And.. I would suggest that you do this one door at a time, and start early on a Saturday or other morning so that if it all goes horribly wrong you can wait around for the day for a locksmith to come!

• Registered Users Posts: 39 purple17

Thanks for that! My dad actually had an old lock at home so he just replaced it for me there. Sud've asked him 1st but it's done now and didnt cost me anything!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭phelixoflaherty

Glad you got it sorted.Another thing you could is take out the barrell, get someone to mind the house and bring the barrel to a locksmith.
    He can change the insides around and regrind the old keys so one does not have to purchase a new lock

Advertisement