Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homeopath in Cork

Options
  • 26-08-2009 10:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭

Hi, I urgently require a recommendation for a homeopath in Cork?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

Sure. Go to your kitchen and turn on the tap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Bill-e

I'm not even going to ask what this is about?

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭overmantle

The jury is out but there are many GPs who work with homeopathy and it has helped many people, whatever the reason.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

overmantle wrote: »
    The jury is out but there are many GPs who work with homeopathy and it has helped many people, whatever the reason.
    The jury is in, has passed sentence, and is now having coffee in the break room. Please educate yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭beer enigma

I dunno much about it to be honest, but I do know someone who has used this place http://corkhomeopathy.com/ & speaks well of it........

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭crustyjuggler

The best diluter and shaker in Cork!

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Judes

Hi there - although not in the City - I would highly recommend "The Robin Hill Clinic" Cobh. Easy train ride down, if no car, or a 20 min drive from the city. A lovely tranquil environment, beautiful setting, in an old country house, overlooking harbour. Just entering that building makes me feel relaxed! Deirdre Mackesy is the main Homeopathist there - check out site. Good luck. J

www.robinhillclinic.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭mountain

attened him a few years ago, and he is good,
    but is severly lacking in personality,

...and any healing ability whatsoever...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭thebaldsoprano

The World Health Organisation recently put out a warning about this crap being damaging to people's health:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/8211925.stm

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭true

The World Health Organisation recently put out a warning about this crap being damaging to people's health:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/8211925.stm

I am surprised and disappopinted how some otherwise intelligent people could believe in homeopathy. As far as I remember there was a documentary a year or two ago on BBC or C4 exposing it as a big scam / that it did not hold water !

I read the original thread and assumed the op was looking for assistance in finding a homeopathist in Cork - in the same way a boardsie may look for a recommendation or contact details for a dentist, gardener, plumber, or where to trace an object/place they are seeking. It reads like an "attack" thread now, jeez, I'd be afraid to ask any of you for a bit of help in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

true wrote: »
    I am surprised and disappopinted how some otherwise intelligent people could believe in homeopathy. As far as I remember there was a documentary a year or two ago on BBC or C4 exposing it as a big scam / that it did not hold water !

I was shocked when my dentist suggested a homeopathic remedy for me following treatment last year. I dispensed with him toute suite. :rolleyes:

And yet people who are allergic to penicillan - or antibiotics - or anti-inflamatories - or other conventional medecines should do what then, suffer in silence? No, I think that if you are in pain - you would probably seek some form of alternative therapy or medicine. But that's just my view!?*

Judes wrote: »
    And yet people who are allergic to penicillan - or antibiotics - or anti-inflamatories - or other conventional medecines should do what then, suffer in silence? No, I think that if you are in pain - you would probably seek some form of alternative therapy or medicine. But that's just my view!?*

Just drink water, then. It's the same thing, but much cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Well you have to believe in it. And I don't. Maybe because I've had a background in scientific training and I know enough to realise that a homeopathic remedy would not have helped my allergic reaction to the anaesthetic.

Seek it if you want but everyone knows placebos can be none the less effective for being useless in a medicinal sense. And don't expect people to respect any supposed remedy that hasn't been double-blind tested for effectiveness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

I have a magic ball for sale, if you squeeze it, it will cure ginger hair, freckles, AIDS, cancer, the common cold, toe jam, and ingrown hairs.

What I said above is pretty much nonsense, but if you were to give it a medical sounding name, you'd be amazed what people would believe. Seriously, homepathy? Eh no. For your own health, go see a real medical professional.

What about homeopathy, and herbal medicine? ... Well, we tested all that stuff, and the stuff that worked became medicine and the rest is great for making tea.

I'm curious as to whether any of you seek help by using any alternative therapies - i.e. acupuncture, reflexology, pilates? And I would disagree with some of your theories on homeopathy knowing a lot of people who have been helped. If you read the BBC report you will see that it is quoting certain illness/disease that is also difficult to cure with conventional medicine. There really isn't any point in getting into an argument, we all have different views. But the original poster was just looking for help in finding one and I wish them the best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭thebaldsoprano

I read the original thread and assumed the op was looking for assistance in finding a homeopathist in Cork - in the same way a boardsie may look for a recommendation or contact details for a dentist, gardener, plumber, or where to trace an object/place they are seeking. It reads like an "attack" thread now, jeez, I'd be afraid to ask any of you for a bit of help in future.

I know someone who was taken in by this hogwash and died as a result - she had breast cancer and decided to go with 'natural' remedies rather than conventional medicine.

If someone asked 'do you know any good cults that I could join?' a warning about cults in general is reasonable.

I'm curious as to whether any of you seek help by using any alternative therapies - i.e. acupuncture, reflexology, pilates? And I would disagree with some of your theories on homeopathy knowing a lot of people who have been helped. If you read the BBC report you will see that it is quoting certain illness/disease that is also difficult to cure with conventional medicine. There really isn't any point in getting into an argument, we all have different views. But the original poster was just looking for help in finding one and I wish them the best of luck.

No, I don't use such remedies.

You are making a huge error with your interpretation of the BBC report. Just because conventional medicine is struggling to provide a cure for a certain disease, doesn't mean that we should open the door for any quackpot to come in and start rubbing goats faeces on the tumour, or whatever. Many people today seem to be very distrustful of modern science, and I find this highly worrying. Jules, your life expectancy is forecasted to be 89, by current measurements. Just 100 years ago, this would have been as much as a 1/3 lower. The further back in time you go, the further this drops. Why do you think this is? Pilates? Homeopathy? No, this is because of science. Science has built the 21st century lifestyle that you enjoy. Your computer, your mobile phone, your fridge, your TV, your vehicle, etc, etc, etc. You are living longer and in more luxury than any common person in human history. Educate yourself to find out why and how.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Recon

I'm curious as to whether any of you seek help by using any alternative therapies - i.e. acupuncture, reflexology, pilates?
    No, no, no. Acupucture has been through the same double-blinded randomised clinical trials mentioned above, and the only things it has shown any effectiveness for are certain types of pain, and nausea. As more trials are added to the pool, more doubt is cast on even these benefits. If you buy the book I linked to earlier, the other therapies you mentioned are also covered at the back of the book, along with most others.
    And I would disagree with some of your theories on homeopathy knowing a lot of people who have been helped.
    They aren't theories, they're facts based on scientific study. The people that have been "helped" have either healed naturally and attributed the improvement to the alternative treatment, or they've healed via the placebo affect. If they stop believing the ridiculous mumbo-jumbo, they'll stop getting better. That's not a valid or more importantly safe treatment.

If you don't know these facts, you're working off word of mouth and unscientific evidence. I'd urge you to research the therapies you want to use properly before using them. You could do yourself more harm than good by believing in non-scientific mumbo-jumbo. You might as well have a guy grab the top of your head and shout "DEMONS OUT"!

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Bill-e

Reflexology is bullsh1t. Magnet therapy is bullsh1t. New Age chiropractic medicine is bullsh1t (even if the actual practice has been shown to have some benefits...just not for the bullsh1t reasons they give for it. Same thing with reflexology, actually. I'm sure a nice foot massage would indeed make me feel better, but not because of some malarkey about meridians.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭bokspring71

For anyone considering homoeopathy, I think this is worth a look....

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Bloody Nipples

Off topic much? Just let them get the info they want. It's their money. And if the placebo effect works, then I consider it money well spent.

• Advertisement

Off topic much? Just let them get the info they want. It's their money. And if the placebo effect works, then I consider it money well spent.
    No-one has said the placebo effect doesn't work. Read this article on the dangers, or google for alternatives if you don't trust that article.

Advertisement