Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public V Semi Private

Options
  • 26-08-2009 10:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I know there's a fair amount on this in other threads already but would just like to hear your opinion on this.

My understanding is that going public means the pregnancy is free as is paid for out of our tax money. There is absolutely no charge during the pregnancy.

However, by going semi-private you have to fork out in excess of €1,000 and the only benefit you get is that you might get a semi-private ward (not guaranteed) and the waiting times may (!!) be shorter. The €1,000 is made up of €750 Ante-Natal care (Coombe, invoiced at beginning) + €100 per scan. These cannot be recouped from health insurers.

The level of care for both is exactly the same. It strikes me as a bit rich, that once the hospital hears you have health insurance, they lash on charges that wouldn't be there if you didn't. And you cannot claim these charges from your health insurance. What's the point in paying health insurance if you then have to pay out another small fortune?

We are going for our first scan tomorrow, so probably too late for us, but I would love to know can you go public to get the ante-natal stuff (i.e. free) and then just use your health insurance to get a semi-private ward. The way the Irish health system is, I'm guessing a big fat no.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I went public on my first and semi on my second and all the costs of going semi private were covered by my VHI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭Cookie Jar

I have vhi, but while i was covered for semi-private if i needed to have a section I was not covered and would have had to pay.
    So I went public, went to a few anti natal classes that were free of charge.
    I had no problems with my level of care. Was in a room with 6 or 8 (cant remember), I mostly had the curtains closed for privacy. While I was in hospital there was a bug so no visitors allowed so my area was never crowed. I didn't see any advantage of going private or semi private, Either way your coming out with a beautiful baby.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Cookie Jar wrote: »
    I have vhi, but while i was covered for semi-private if i needed to have a section I was not covered and would have had to pay.

That is completely absurd! What kind of health insurance is that? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Clanket

I've looked in detail and it seems that under my plan (Company Plan Plus Level 1) we have to pay €750 to the Coombe for ante-natel care along with €100 per scan (to a maximum of €300).
    Thaedydal wrote: »
    I went public on my first and semi on my second and all the costs of going semi private were covered by my VHI.

My older brother recalls not having to pay anything for semi-private care with VHI about 5 years ago. Either this has changed or he (and you) had a better plan than me.
    Cookie Jar wrote: »
    Either way your coming out with a beautiful baby.

Please God

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭Cookie Jar

That is completely absurd! What kind of health insurance is that? :eek:

Its not my plan, im covered under my fathers plan in work? Ive no idea about details.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27 mary byrne

Hi Ladies,

I was hoping for some advice on my situation.

I just found out that I am 6 weeks 2 days pregnant and am totally shocked as due to my history I didn't expect to get pregnant. I had an operation for a twisted fallopian tube a few years back which resulted in me having just one tube so it is a big surprise that i am now pregnant.

However my GP has advised me that I am a high risk pregnancy case and really need to take extra care as this is also my first pregnancy.

I live in Clonee and my GP is in Drumcondra and need to decide now which hospital I want to go to aswell as which option public, semi or private?

My GP has suggested Holles St is the best aswell as another family friend said the same Holles St as it has the best professors in case of any complications.

I have also heard alot of horror stories and about the overcrowding in Holles St.

I would like to hear from some of you as to what is the best hospital and which type of cover? I will also need to get more regular scans.

Also got really bad morning sickness all day and is getting me down rather than feeling good. How do other ladies cope?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I'll move this to its own thread if you'd like?

You're gonna hear good and bad stories about all hospitals. It's down to personal choice. We're on our 3rd, the first (I wasn't around for) my mrs went public in Holles Street. She said it was a disaster. She was a single mum and said they treated her like crap. We went semi on the 2nd in Rotunda. Found them very good. Very seriously considered public in the Rotunda for the 3rd because of the cost of semi (1000 moxy euro!!) and the fact that we were in and out within 24 hours the last time. The only real difference that I could see between the public and semi private ward was the number of beds per room. You're still gonna get feck all sleep in the actual hospital IMO.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

The care you get for delivery or an emergency is the exact same between public and semi private.
    The care you get during the pregnancy is better in semi private,you have the same consultant,shorter queues and of course not on a huge ward after you give birth.
    It cost me 250 euro and 110 for the big scan last year and then I put in a med 1 claim too so it cost me very little.
    I understand this year it is 500 +110 for the scan. euro but alot of the insurance companies have upped their maternity cover so not sure exactly how much it is with each provider.
    It is very little money and I think it was very well spent.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Semi private (in the rotunda at least) has jumped up to 1000 with medical insurance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Its the only way to go ......................

The midwives calling out to our house every day for the first week after delivery was invaluable :)

10/10

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Not available to all the people that are high risk same as the midwife led unit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Very true

Thanks Ladies,

It looks like I will go for Holles St either private or semi private as I need to get early scans due to my medical history and so can't afford the wait.

Can anyone tell me what it will cost to go private and semi-private in Holles St? I have Hibernian Aviva Level 2 health cover.

Just rang the hospital there and they said to call back on Mon and I would like to make my decision by then.

Also what is the domino scheme?

I would really need some assistance after birth as it's my first baby and have no family to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

mary byrne wrote: »

I would really need some assistance after birth as it's my first baby and have no family to help.
    We are in the same boat re no family to help (my wonderful cousin would but she works full time and is over 50 miles away).

For us the accomodation for the birth is the only difference in care so I do not see the point, the funny thing is that I raised but I have only used it for other medical care. I do like the gynae that we attend as he always makes me laugh and he has an excellent reputation.

nmh.ie is holles st website.
    It has all the charges on it.

Don't worry about having family around to help after,you will probably be happier to be left alone then have people bothering you!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

I worked as a midwife in Holles st and I see no benefits to going private or semi-private! Save your money and spend it on the baby!

If you go Private, you might get a bed on the Merrion wing... if you're lucky! Most end up on a Semi-private ward sharing with 1-4 other women. As for worrying about how much sleep you'll get, you're going to have a baby. Your baby will decide that!

The public wards can end up with extra beds, even if this happens it it usually only for a few hours. Its not ideal, but it is what it is and its better than no bed at all. By that stage most women are just happy to have a healthy baby in their arms.

If you can go with the Doomino scheme I would highly recommend it. Your pregnancy needs to be very low risk and you need to live within the cathment area. Its basically a service ran by midwives to provide all of your antenatal care, care for you in labour, and post natal care. Its brilliant. If I lived in the catchment area I would use them myself!

I'm personally attending a satellite clinic for this pregnancy (my first) and have seen the same consultant each time and have never had to wait longer than 10 minutes for my appointment. It also means that I do not have to travel into Holles st every few weeks and worry about paying for parking.

If you are considering going private for the extra scans because you are high risk, you needn't worry as you will be given extra scans if you are seen to be high risk, free!

It is the same midwives who care for you whether you are public, semi-p or private, and I can assure you that it is not even a consideration to us when we are caring for women in labour. The level of care is exactly the same. Oh and 9 times out of 10 it is the midwife who will help you deliver your baby even if you do pay to go private!

At the end of the day, its all about personal choice. But I just don't see any advantages to paying for a service that is there for free, especially in these times of recession!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

mary byrne wrote: »

http://www.nmh.ie/iopen24/defaultarticle.php?cArticlePath=61#Intro
    Domino

The Domino scheme offers midwifery care from the beginning of pregnancy, during labour, and until your baby is 5-10 days old.
    During Pregnancy

Booking visit and discussion on choices of care
    Full Antenatal care
    Home visit prior to the birth of your baby

Antenatal education to include:

Information on health issues e.g. Diet/exercise etc
    Information and advice on various aspects of pregnancy, birth an early parenthood
    Education and support

During Labour and Birth

A community midwife attends the birth of your baby whether in hospital or at home, 24 hours a day
    Individual clinical midwifery support, care and advice throughout labour and birth

After the Birth

Continued support of mother, baby and family until your baby is 5-10 days old
    Daily post-natal check at home
    Help and support with infant feeding/weight gain etc
    Advice on initial screening tests for your baby
    Information about local health centre services and your public health nurse who will give you ongoing information, advice and support
    Post-natal support group

Antenatal care is provided either in the community (Ballinteer Health Centre, St. Michael’s Private Hospital, Bray Health Centre and Greystones Health Centre) or in the Community Midwives’ Clinic in the hospital. All being well you and your baby can go home, six to twenty four hours after the birth, where you will receive midwifery care up until the baby is ten days old.

The benefit of this scheme is that over the course of your pregnancy you will have the opportunity to develop a relationship with a team of fourteen midwives, one of whom will attend the birth of your baby. This service offers high quality, midwifery care to low risk women living in South East Dublin and North Wicklow.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/birth-family-relationships/before-your-baby-is-born/flexible-maternity-services
    ntroduction

Many hospitals in Ireland now offer more flexibility in their maternity services, operating early discharge schemes, home births and midwives' clinics.

Rules

Community and Domino Midwives Schemes

A number of hospitals are operating a Domino/Community Midwives Scheme. This scheme enables women who are deemed at 'low risk of complications' to see members of a dedicated midwives' team for their antenatal visits and to have a member of this team deliver their baby, either in hospital (Domino Scheme) or at home. Antenatal visits are made either to the Community Midwives' Clinic or to a local health centre. Additional visits are made to the woman's home.

Each woman interested in the scheme will have a routine scan at around 18-22 weeks and a full physical examination to assess suitability for the scheme. If any problems develop during the pregnancy or in labour, you will be immediately transferred back to full hosptial care

Under the Domino/Community Midwives Scheme you are entitled to an early discharge after birth, if you wish, and the midwife will visit you at home for up to a week after the birth. The scheme is available at:

* National Maternity Hospital, Dublin – Community Midwives
    * Rotunda Hospital, Dublin – Domino Midwives
    * Waterford Regional Hospital – Community Midwives
    * Wexford General Hospital – Community Midwives

Midwifery-led Units

Midwifery-led Units provide healthy women, who don't have risk factors for pregnancy and labour, a choice in how they access maternity care. A team of experienced midwives provides the care. Mothers can give birth in a uniquely designed birth room where they are cared for by a midwife and where they can avail of facilities such as music, a water pool or supportive aids (gym ball, bean bags etc) if required. At any point where a problem is detected or anticipated, formal contact is established with the obstetric/paediatric team on call or the woman's GP, if appropriate.

Mothers can have an early discharge home and one of the team of midwives will visit them at home, daily if necessary.

Midwifery-led Units are available at:

* Cavan General Hospital
    * Our Lady of Lourdes Hospital, Drogheda

Rates

These schemes are available free of charge.
    Further information

You should make contact with maternity services in your area and ask about schemes operated by them.

A guide to maternity services entitled Consumer Guide to Maternity Services in Ireland is produced by Cuidiu: Irish Childbirth Trust and provides information on the different types of maternity services available. Cuidiu is a parent to parent community based voluntary support group.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 dexter50

My wife is 6 weeks gone and we just booked in our first scan in mid December, as I have Health cover we were looking at semi provate but we have been told to bring 500 euro to the first scan and 100 euro after that I am a bit puzzled whats the point in health cover if there going to charge you this?? Is there any way of claiming that back??

You can claim it agains't med 1.
    Also it depends what health insurance cover you have whether you can claim it back or not.
    The 100 euro is to cover the anomaly scan.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Clanket

dexter50 wrote: »
    My wife is 6 weeks gone and we just booked in our first scan in mid December, as I have Health cover we were looking at semi provate but we have been told to bring 500 euro to the first scan and 100 euro after that I am a bit puzzled whats the point in health cover if there going to charge you this?? Is there any way of claiming that back??

It's ridiculous isn't it. As soon as they hear health insurance they load the cost. Even though the lack of queuing is a big plus, the cost of going semi should be covered entirely from health insurance. What the hell else are we paying this for?

And be warned. Coombe charges €750 + €100 x 2 for scans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭wantolose

while we have quinn healthcare cover, we (I) didnt use it,i went public, there really isnt any point because there is no differance in the care given, i had 3 scans, none of which i paid for, it really depends what hosp you are going to, i was in da west!! so i guess there isnt as much overcrowding in the sticks!!

i had to be induced because i went 10 days over, and then i was told i was going to be booked in for a c-section but thank god that did not happen in the end it was a 3 hour furious labour:eek: and it was the consultant on call that delivered our baby, because that night there was 8 babies delivered in the space of 3 hours, i nearly had him on the ward, i was only in the labour ward for about 25mins when he appeared!!

i dont regret not going private, and i did discuss it with other mums what they did or what they thought...it depends on yourself! best fo luck:)

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Nicki123

I attended the Rotunda semi private. Up until the point the baby was born I didnt see much difference between public and semi-private ( more plush/comfortable surroundings in the semi-P waiting room for appointments). However afterwards I was moved to a public ward with 12 other people....I didnt get a wink of sleep all night cos of other mothers phones ringing all night long. Then when I had to go to the toilet I had to traipse the corridors to find a toilet that was working ( with one dead leg, no midwives available to help me) - there were 2 toilets working for approx 40 women and it looked like Jack the Ripper had been in there - it was so disgusting. The next morning I wanted a shower so I queued and queued and queued and eventually gave up and went back to my bed to enquire about discharging myself and bubs so I could go home to have a shower. Luckily at that point a bed opened up in semi private for me and I was brought up to a ward with 3 other new mammys, which was en suite with a wet room. I had the most amazing shower of my life....

I suppose what I'm saying is, if you're entitled to go semi private through your health insurance and you can afford the registration fee then go for it, mammys need a tiny bit of comfort ( such as a shower or a clean toilet) after giving birth. I will never, ever go public purely based on the accommodation after birth. People will tell you its only for 24 hours or less but we were kept in for 4 days following a fairly straightforward birth - it can happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Slainte_sf

Moonbeam wrote: »
    Not available to all the people that are high risk same as the midwife led unit.

Whether you are public/private/domino/midwifery led, a 'doula' might be another good option. They are hired independently by the expectant mother and offers emotional, physical and informational support for the birth and/or in postpartum.

www.doula.ie for more information

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Stewy18

hi,
    my wife and i are going to the semi private clinic in rotunda next week,
    i note that they need €1,200 payment up front,
    she is with vhi semi-private care,

can anyone clarify in regards with the payment,
    what i can claim back?,

i presume i can only claim the €1,200 through med1?
    my wife rang rotunda and she said they told them you can claim €400 from vhi?, not sure if this is right?,i doubt it??

thanks

Moonbeam wrote: »
    You can claim it agains't med 1.
    Also it depends what health insurance cover you have whether you can claim it back or not.
    The 100 euro is to cover the anomaly scan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

I have vhi plan B cover and as far as I can make out, they will refund me €245 of the €900 Holles Street are planning to take from me next week for semi private consultant costs. :eek:
    Not sure whether all the rest or a chunk of it can be claimed back through med1. Pity I'm a full time student and haven't been paying PRSI for a good while so can't claim back from my own PRSI. :rolleyes:
    From what I gather though, my partner can claim it back on my behalf from his PRSI contributions! :D
    All very confusing!! :confused:

Not sure if you can claim back on his,you may want to ring the revenue and check.
    As it is his child you maybe able to but being Ireland because you are not married it may not be possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

Claims for 2007 and subsequent tax years:
    You may claim tax relief in respect of any qualifying health expenses paid by you in respect of any individual.

That's on the revenue website about the med1 form, and similar wording on the med1 form that I can find online!
    "Individuals for whom tax relief may be claimed.
    You may claim a refund of tax in respect of medical expenses paid or incurred by you: On your own behalf, From 2007 and subsequent years on behalf of any other person (no restrictions)."

Says underneath it that "routine health care in respect of pregnancy is allowable."

(sorry if I mistyped any- couldn't figure how to copy and paste from the PDF!)

Am hoping that still stands and hasn't been changed in budgets or anything!! So I guess I wouldn't exactly be claiming from his PRSI myself, but that he would be claiming in respect of charges for care for me?

• Registered Users Posts: 41 dangerd

I feel a bit clueless at the moment and I guess could do with some advice. I'm 15 weeks pregnant and about to return home from the states in two days. I go for my first scan that day and I'm so excited. This is my first pregnancy so the whole public private thing is over whelming.

I found out I was pregnant over Christmas/new year and asked one or two people for advice on which hospital to go to before I left for the states in January. So everything was decided on in a rush. Anyway on a friend’s advice we decided to go private in cork since I have insurance.

I knew it would cost more but now, after reading earlier posts I'm thinking is it worth it? My Quinn insurance covers the birth and we have to pay 3000 euro consultancy fees. I knew it would be around that from talking to my friend but it seems excessive now.

My partner is dead set on going private as he feels it will be worth it. I’m happy going public before the birth and then private for the birth since my insurance covers that but

A) At 15 weeks, have I left it too late to book in as a public patient?
    B) If I stay private can anyone tell me what other costs are there?
    C) Can anyone give me advice on Cork and what it is like? Is it good?
    D) This might be a silly question but can you choose which consultant you get if you go public? If you can are there any recommendations out there :) (or can I ask that questions on this post?) :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement