Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 litre bottle of wine as a gift?

• 26-08-2009 10:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I was at a birthday party lately and someone brought the birthday girl a gift of a 3 litre bottle of red wine.
    I really like the idea, and have a few special birthdays coming up in the next few months.

I believe the gentleman who gave the present may work for a drinks company, so I'm wondering if that is the only source?

Can anyone advise? I've had a look in the local cash and carry, in case they had ones for pub displays etc. but no joy.

Anyone any ideas?

thanks!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,081 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I'd go directly to you local wine importer/distributor.
    I'm sure they'd have no problem dealing directly with the public for a one off like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭MattKane

Hi buzz,

1.5 litre bottles are much easier to find. We used to have a few 3 litre bottles but they didn't last too long :p

Should be able to get your hands on them more easily coming up to Christmas - I'd say a few of the independents would carry them more readily

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭buzz55

Thanks for all the suggestions, I will keep looking for now and also ask my local wine shop if they can get some in for me.

Just thought it was an unusual gift & absolutely perfect for a wine lover - if you could get a nice wine in it of course :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭rediguana

I would love to get a large bottle of wine as a present. I suppose the catch, from the gift-giver's point of view, is that a 3l bottle contains four standard bottles. To get something even just basic you're looking at €50+ .

I think a magnum is extravagant and impressive enough myself, I must say!

I see Matt Kane posted further up the thread. I recently bought a magnum (i.e. 1500ml btl / 2 standard btls) of Chianti Classico (1998) from his company, www.curiouswines.ie , called "The Nativity". The wine had been blessed in barrel by Pope John Paul and there is a little pic inside the wooden presentation box showing His Holiness chatting with the winemaker about yields and must adjustments.

Anyway, I got it as a present for the priest that married myself and my wife last year. He's also my wife's second-cousin; the whole "pope wine" thing went down a storm with the wife's family.

Here it is (for anyone with a priest in the family!). It's €75.

http://bit.ly/15mIJP

Advertisement