Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grant Euroflame Servicing

Options
  • 26-08-2009 11:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭

I have a Grant Euroflame indoor kerosene boiler with the blue box covering the burner and the snorkel hose feeding air to it. 2yrs ago I got a company local to me that was the recommended service agent for Grant in the area to come & service.

When they saw it, they said they didn't service those burners anymore and suggested I replace it with a newer type. So I suggested that I would service the burner and they would come back a few days later to clean it out and set up the air/fuel mixture. This was done, all happy.

Called same company out today to do the same work. I serviced the burner last week and all they had to do was same as last time. This time they told me that the burner was illegal and has been for 5yrs and they cannot even touch them, not even do the clean and setup. Explained the situation from 2yr previous and all they said was this shouldn't have happened. Again, suggested replacing the burner. Also said that my house insurance wouldn't be covered if they knew I had this installed.

Can anyone in the business clarifty this? I need to get this in writing from Grant and if its true, try and see if they have any buy back program for the old burners to upgrade.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭PeteHeat

Hi Lex,

I haven't had dealings with Grant in a long time but I would be surprised if they pulled a product without notice, they are a good company.

I wonder is it possible that an outside boiler was fitted inside your house ?

The kitchen / utility room boilers they sell have a white casing, in your shoes I would make the phone call and ask them why it is illegal now and not five years ago.

As far as I know the main difference in the newer boilers is efficiency, nothing to do with safety.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭cmsp.plumber

the only burner that has become illegal recently is a gas conversion on an old oil burner. which if the burner is 2yrs old it is defo not, unless u have the incorrect burner for indoor use....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

PeteHeat wrote: »
    Hi Lex,

I haven't had dealings with Grant in a long time but I would be surprised if they pulled a product without notice, they are a good company.

I wonder is it possible that an outside boiler was fitted inside your house ?

The kitchen / utility room boilers they sell have a white casing, in your shoes I would make the phone call and ask them why it is illegal now and not five years ago.

As far as I know the main difference in the newer boilers is efficiency, nothing to do with safety.

Pete, this one is fitted in a utility room and has a white casing. I douby it would last a day outside. Its definitely an internal boiler. All the houses in my estate were fitted with them 13yrs ago. I doubt they actually sell this boiler anymore, but the service guy today said it was nothing to do with the boiler, but the burner.

It has the blue box around the burner and they say that the braided fuel line is invisible for inspection after its fitted and can leak. This is not possible to know after fitting the blue box, hence they are illegal, according tho them anyway.

I'll be putting a call into Grant tomorrow to get to the bottom of this

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭PeteHeat

Hi Lex,

P.M. sent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭cmsp.plumber

thats rubbish about the braided hose... get another service enginner to service burner and boiler. €95-€120 depending on condition of boiler. hope u have some luck grant. whats the burner make and model number?

• Advertisement

thats rubbish about the braided hose... get another service enginner to service burner and boiler. €95-€120 depending on condition of boiler. hope u have some luck grant. whats the burner make and model number?

Thanks for the PM Pete

As for what type of burner it is, I'm not quite sure. It is red in colour. Looking at the old manual I got with it, its saying its a Minor 1 Conventional Flue Burner.

I don't mind servicing the burner part myself. I actually enjoy taking it apart and getting stuck in. I've had it dismantled into all the pieces and have replaced many parts on it over the years. But I won't touch the boiler section and would rather get someone to clean it out and set up the air/fuel mixture.

The only other service person I know in the area I used to use when I got it first and I always had problems after they serviced it which kind of prompted me into doing it myself.

Do you guys know any other recommendations for service in the Naas area?

"Thank you for your recent inquiry regarding your Grant boiler.

First of all let me assure you that the boiler you have is not illegal, I have spoken to Xxxxxxx Xxxxxxx this morning and they as a company have taken a decision not to service boilers with this type of Ecoflam burner.

We have other Service Engineers in your area and I would suggest you contact one of them to arrange a boiler service.

Our products are proved to be the most efficient on the Irish and UK markets, as independently tested by SEI www.sei.ie/harp and www.sedbuk.com where we hold the top 6 and the top 16 places respectively.

Thank you for choosing a Grant Boiler, I trust the above is of benefit to you, however if you require any further information please contact me via email or our technical team at the above number.

Kind Regards,"

What I'm not happy about still is that they tried to sell my wife a new burner for €350 on the back of them saying it was illegal to have the boiler. However with their new burner the complete boiler would be legal again. What a crock of sh!t....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

As Grant say the Minor 1 is certainly not illegal - they gave a lot of trouble, but burned quite efficiently when they worked.
    Having said that, a Riello RDB or G3 would be a bit more efficient and also a bit quiter with an inside boiler.
    Jim.

JamesM wrote: »
    As Grant say the Minor 1 is certainly not illegal - they gave a lot of trouble, but burned quite efficiently when they worked.
    Having said that, a Riello RDB or G3 would be a bit more efficient and also a bit quiter with an inside boiler.
    Jim.

Jim, appreciate your opinion. Thanks. What would I be likely to have to pay for a Riello RDB or G3 burner?

At the moment I have to set the manual flue position for the air/fuel mixture on the minor 1. Is this the same requirement for the Riello or is it automatic?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    Jim, appreciate your opinion. Thanks. What would I be likely to have to pay for a Riello RDB or G3 burner?

At the moment I have to set the manual flue position for the air/fuel mixture on the minor 1. Is this the same requirement for the Riello or is it automatic?

I've read back over your posts and I'm puzzled. I thought that Grant stopped using the Minor 1 in the early 90s. They brought in a riello burner in a sealed casing with a snorkel hose feeding air to the burner. That was used when they needed an air feed until the RDB was introduced. I have to admit that I don't believe that I have ever seen a Minor 1 with a blue box and an airfeed.

If you have a snorkel that feeds air from outside, you need the RDB, not the G3. I'm not sure of a price, but Chadwicks always have Riellos at a good price. The only air adjustment is on the burner. I'm not sure what you mean by "manual flue position for the air/fuel mixture".
    Jim.

• Advertisement
Advertisement