Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Garda FAQ on licensing issues.

Options
  • 26-08-2009 11:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭

The Gardai have updated their FAQ on the new licence application. It's available for download here.

Or just go to the Garda website and download it from the Firearms Licensing section.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭foxhunter

I've a feeling that list is going to get an awfull lot longer as the months progress:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

i can think of some more that should have went up:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭G17

i can think of some more that should have went up:confused:

Yeah, about 70 or so.

It's a shame they didn't remove the section :

Where can I get more information which still says that the guidelines are available on www.garda.ie it's such a waste of people's time, so many people have said they spent ages looking for the guidelines in vain.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

I wouldn't mind knowing what the heck I'm supposed to put in the GP field, since I don't have a GP and it's now confirmed as being mandatory. I can't just pick a GP at random - giving false information on the form is also a crime these days...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Sparks wrote: »
    I wouldn't mind knowing what the heck I'm supposed to put in the GP field, since I don't have a GP and it's now confirmed as being mandatory. I can't just pick a GP at random - giving false information on the form is also a crime these days...
    Well the last GP you visited, or the GP your family use.

Neither would be false information, as you do have a choice as to what GP you visit.

The one who knows you best would be the best choice.... or not ;)

• Advertisement

My applications have come back for the second time .
    This time they want a written note explaining why I want 500 shotgun shells
    500 .22lr and 200 .17hmr.
    The first time it was for not supplying the doctors details.
    It looks like it's going to take all of the extension time to sort it out.

rrpc, I've gone to different GPs each of the last five or six times in the last ten years that I've needed to go to a GP. I've no reason to think that I'll be going to any of them next time. And as to my family's GP, we don't have one either - we moved about too much for that. Last time I went to a GP on my family's ticket, I was getting a vaccination and that was twenty years ago, and we didn't go back to that GP after that (or go to him before that).

I'm not kidding here, I really cannot point to anyone and say that they're "my" GP without - at best - stretching the english language to breaking point.

And version 4 of the Popular Questions document is now up...

rrpc, I've gone to different GPs each of the last five or six times in the last ten years that I've needed to go to a GP. I've no reason to think that I'll be going to any of them next time. And as to my family's GP, we don't have one either - we moved about too much for that. Last time I went to a GP on my family's ticket, I was getting a vaccination and that was twenty years ago, and we didn't go back to that GP after that (or go to him before that).

I'm not kidding here, I really cannot point to anyone and say that they're "my" GP without - at best - stretching the english language to breaking point.
    Your Vet?

Somehow I can't help but think that putting down my cat's vet as my GP would fall under the heading of "false or misleading information".

Besides, given how much I've spent on that cat over the years, he'd only be able to testify that I was cracked anyway...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭TMC121

foxhunter wrote: »
    My applications have come back for the second time .
    This time they want a written note explaining why I want 500 shotgun shells
    500 .22lr and 200 .17hmr.
    The first time it was for not supplying the doctors details.
    It looks like it's going to take all of the extension time to sort it out.

Just as a matter of interest foxhunter, how may rounds did you hold on your original certificate?

Somehow I can't help but think that putting down my cat's vet as my GP would fall under the heading of "false or misleading information".

Besides, given how much I've spent on that cat over the years, he'd only be able to testify that I was cracked anyway...
    Well at least he knows you better than your GP :D.

I'm sure there are many regular posters in the hunting section that would be willing to 'look after' the cat for you. :D

TMC121 wrote: »
    Just as a matter of interest foxhunter, how may rounds did you hold on your original certificate?

I've had 500 on the shotgun for 4 or 5 years now and 500 on the .22
    I only had 100 on the .17hmr

foxhunter wrote: »
    I've had 500 on the shotgun for 4 or 5 years now and 500 on the .22
    I only had 100 on the .17hmr

The original certificate amounts indicate the superintendent was willing to entrust you with the quantities you now require. I'm curious to know what legacy details are being kept from the original granting of the license.

Reapplying and justifying your firearm(s) and ammunition requirements all over again. I know some fellow shooting sportsmen who went through turmoil to get their ammunition allowance increased. Clay Shooters issued 50 cartridges on there license, going to 100 target sporting shoots and legally only able to bring half the ammunition required.

Is there no reference available to supers with recommended ammunition allowances?

Is there no reference available to supers with recommended ammunition allowances?
    According to the NARGC there is in the Commissioner's Guidelines. If you have a look at the 'NARGC Driector's report...' thread, the first post is the actual report and there are recommended ammo limits in it.

No guarantee that what was a draft recommendation will make it through to the final issue, but at least there's bound to be something there.

I remember reading through that report and wondering if the local superintendent would be given the details. Obviously not.
    We've managed to take 1 step forward and 2 backwards.

Maybe the Commissioners guidelines will have details on this.

I remember reading through that report and wondering if the local superintendent would be given the details. Obviously not.
    We've managed to take 1 step forward and 2 backwards.

Maybe the Commissioners guidelines will have details on this.
    I think you misunderstand me. That document was reporting on what were in the guidelines back then and ammo limits was one of the things mentioned. As I said earlier, there's no guarantee that the same limits will be in the final copy, but certainly there will be some guidance to Supers as to what are 'normal' limits for different sports.

Though it would be really helpful to have these guidelines.... right now would be good.

I have to agree
    Having the guidelines now would really be useful.
    Does anyone know the reason for the delay?

Having the guidelines now would really be useful.
    Does anyone know the reason for the delay?

Was told that some points needed to go to AG and back to DOJ for 'tweaking'. I was told earlier this morning, definitely before tomorrow (4th Sept) evening. Here's hoping.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Yeah I am waiting to see these guidelines before I send in my applications. Mine are due end of October so I am a bit annoyed at the delay in them.

Still these things take time I suppose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

I have mines sitting prepard with attached Deer hunting licence, game club memeberships etc..but ill hold off handing them in till these guidelines are available in case the goalposts have been shifted.:rolleyes:

I have mines
    That was a fun mental double-take...
    (He has mines? What the heck does he need a rifle for so? :D )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

That was a fun mental double-take...
    (He has mines? What the heck does he need a rifle for so? :D )

Sure im from the North sparks! we all have mines:D

Advertisement