Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SoundProofing - Best Material

Options
  • 26-08-2009 11:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

I'm in the process of renovating an old house and want to sound proof the bedroom as I dont want to be able to hear anything from next door while in bed.

My builder mate reckons Aeroboard will do as good a job as rockwool in the extra wall we are planning on building between the houses but I 'm not so sure. He reckons I should go with that but I'd rather just get it done properly from the start and spare not expense.

Any opinions?

thanks again.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭youtheman

To absorb sound the material needs to be 'porous', Aeroboards is not, Rockwool is.

Rockwool is also very resistant to high temperatures, so you are getting the added benefit of additional fire proofing.

I'm not sure about Aeroboard when it is exposed to fire, it might give off some toxic gasses (Rockwool certianly won't).

I doubt if there is much difference in the price of both products. Aeroboard, becuse it is stiffer, is easier to install vertically. Maybe this is why he is opting for it.

If it was me I'd tell the builder I want Rockwool.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭OwenM

Their is a grade of rockwool called 'acoustic', this is probably what you want but bear in mind that a lot of noise is transmitted by vibration. This means that the rockwool will reduce noise from conversations and music but if someone next door is dancing on a wooden floor or slamming doors then you will still hear this to nearly the same extent you can hear it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

You need to put up some acoustic sheeting, kind of rubber matting.
    Also think about double slabbing the walls.

Advertisement