Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone own a kindle or sony reader?

Options
  • 26-08-2009 12:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

What do you think of them? Which one is best? use them much?

thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I got a Sony PRs-505 for my birthday and love it. I use it all the time, despite my initial misgivings. I have a small house and way too many books, so it's ideal for me. I normally need to wear reading glasses for computer screens, but I find I get absolutely no strain on my eyes using it.

The main problem I've noticed is that some PDFs can be horrifically slow. When you convert them to ePub format using free Calibre software, it can mess up the formatting, so you get some
    sentences
    that
    look like
    this.

I use www.booksonboard.com with google checkout. I entered an American address as my address, and they didn't verify it - so I get the US prices.

The Adobe Digital downloads (I think that's the name of the format) work well, and they render as they should.

The size is nice - it's just enough screen size, but compact enough to fit into a large coat pocket.

Edit: You should go to your local Xtravision and ask to play around with a Sony device for a few minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 asiwassayin

if you buy an e-book can you use it on either a kindle or SR? what do you think of the kindle?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

if you buy an e-book can you use it on either a kindle or SR?

Think it depends on the format. There are common files that will work across both, but Kindle and/or Sony might have a format that doesn't work on the other. Not 100% sure.
    what do you think of the kindle?

I've never used a Kindle, but I'm not mad on the look of it. I don't need to make notes or any of that stuff, so I reckon a lot of it would be wasted on me.

Advertisement