Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carling Cup, a complete waste of time??

Options
  • 26-08-2009 12:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭

Apart from offering the fans one nice day out at Wembley, IMO this cup has degenerated into a complete waste of time:

1. PL clubs now just field a combination of youngsters & reserves because they're priority is either winning the PL, getting into the CL, or staying in the PL

2. The carrot that used to be qualifying for the UEFA Cup is also a waste of time. English Clubs that play in the UEFA Cup field a combination of youngsters & reserves because they're priority is either winning the PL, getting into the CL, or staying in the PL

In Harry's last post-match interview he referred to our next game as being against Birmingham!

I hope we just play a completely different 11 tonight to maintain the match sharpness of squad players.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

It depends on how you look at it. When we won it two seasons ago I was delighted, both for myself (and other fans) and the players, particularly those who hadn't won anything before. It definitely seemed worthwhile then.

As an overall competition, for a team like Spurs with a big squad, I think it's great as it gives the youngsters and those who don't get a regular game a chance to shine. It's when things get into the final few rounds that it gets tough because for the majority of clubs it's the only chance they'll have of winning any trophies. This is when it becomes draining on the first team.

Unfortunately the prize of getting into the Europa Trophy is more of a hindrance than anything, and if we go well this season but don't get into the top 4, I'd prefer if we could somehow not enter the competition for next year as all it does is drain teams outside of the top 4 of their resources, making it easier for the top 4 to keep playing well in the league, thus maintaining their dominance. Ok, perhaps that's a slight exaggeration, but you get my point.

So in summation :pac: I think it's a good competition for a club like ours, even if it's only to get the non-regular players playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

when we debated this last season i was firmly in the corner of play every competition as if it was the champions league final but now i'm not so sure.

I guess talking from i heart on the sleve point of view i guess for all the spurs players who never won anything with the club, i mean look at calum davenport might not be able to walk again we should gun for it.

but in the real world i guess it will have to serve the purpose of blooding some youngsters and giving the likes of o'hara and crouch a full game.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭RichMc70

I think it's a good competition for three reasons:-

1) It's one of only two pieces of silverware that we realistically have a chance of winning
    2) Now that we have a stronger squad than in years gone by, it gives the bench warmers a competetive run out to keep them sharper when the call up to 1st team PL games are calling
    3) If the League Cup drops out of top flight domestic football, then it will make more room for a Euro Super League, which will inevitably take prominence over any domestic league and ultimately result in domestic football being hardly more prestigious than sunday park league.

Unfortunately, the 'so called big four' in particular have seemed to set out to field reserve teams in recent years, which has slightly de-valued a once very valued competition. However if you look through the archives, you will note that over the last 30 or so years, the teams who have won the trophy, are usually, up their competing at the top level of the english game.

Regardless of what people may say, when we won the league Cup in 2008, the records will show that enroute we beat Man City, Arsenal & Chelsea, to lift the cup.

Last season, to reach the final, we also beat Newcastle & Liverpool enroute to Wembley.

Other than Man U & Chelsea last season, I bet that (secrectly or not) any fan of another PL club (incl. Arsenal & Liverpool) would have loved to have won the League Cup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭TheManWho

If we had started slow and were mabey 16th in the table, the title of this thread would probably be "Carling Cup, our new priority".

It depends on where your ambitions lie, for the Manchester's, Chelsea and the other big clubs it's just a hinderance. But for the small clubs like Hull, Arsenal or Bolton it might be the only real chance at silverware.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

TheManWho wrote: »
    If we had started slow and were mabey 16th in the table, the title of this thread would probably be "Carling Cup, our new priority".

It depends on where your ambitions lie, for the Manchester's, Chelsea and the other big clubs it's just a hinderance. But for the small clubs like Hull, Arsenal or Bolton it might be the only real chance at silverware.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Jmcc001

away to preston in the next round

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Simple Pieman

Jmcc001 wrote: »
    away to preston in the next round

If any of you chaps are coming over to this one, there is also the fine National Football Museum next to the Deepdale ground. Free admission and well worth a visit. I went there a couple of seasons back after a midweek match at Blackburn.

http://www.nationalfootballmuseum.com/index.htm

Advertisement