Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aran Islands Trip

Options
  • 26-08-2009 12:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭

I think this might be the best place for advice?

Just looking for a bit of advice really.

I am taking my girl for a trip to the Aran Islands in October, she is Honduran/American so I figure she will like it.

I keep hearing that things might be closed down later in the season, and dont wanna be left sitting on my tobler in SUpermacs by the harbour!

Whats the best island to go to, whats the best B+B to stay in and of course where is good for a few pints. I know this is a cliche but I really would like to avoid the usual tourist places.

Ideally would rather go to one of the smaller islands, stroll around and have a few beers in the evening.

Suggestions welcome!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭greengreen

Try Inis Oirr as this is usually great fun. You can go from Doolin or Connemara or even fly. There is a small hotel and a few b andb . It can be desolate at that time of year but beautiful.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dec25532

Agree that Inis Oirr is by far the most scenic and enjoyable island of the three. Inis Meain is relatively unspoilt and would suit those who like a real island culture while Inis Moir is turning into a kip although there are some parts that are still stunning. Kilronan is becoming the Salthill of the 1980s unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭gandroid

Inis Mór may be touristy but as with most tourist hot-spots, there is usual a reason they flock there.

It is still worth a visit as there are plenty of walks you can take - you don't need a guide, just rent a bike, take your time and explore...if you can at all stay overnight and don't do a rushed day trip. Dún Aonghasa unique - and though I agree with a previous poster that Inir Oírr is a beautiful place, with a fabulous atmosphere and scenery - you will not find a site that will take your breath away like Dún Aonghasa can. As for a pint, if you like Guinness, try Tí Joe Mac....right by the harbour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 sf13

How did the trip go? Which island did you go to in the end?

Advertisement