Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway Community Pride Vs. Bród Gaillimhe

Options
  • 26-08-2009 12:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys,

so I travelled down from Dublin in order to take part in Galway pride as I had missed out mostly on the Dublin Pride. Me and and my friend got lost on the way but managed to make it into town at around 7PM. I have a few Galwegian friends who said that all the fun was going to be in the Warwick on the last night of pride (Saturday). Off we went to get dinner and look into what else Galway Community Pride had to offer as well (we didn't realise two schedules were being put together). We learned that Katherine Lynch was going to be performing at the Blackbox Theatre. I got very excited as I love that woman. We hadn't a clue where we were at this point (Warwick) and got a taxi to Blackbox. When we arrived we paid E15 in toto the show, fair enough for a Katherine Lynch show and a pride event.

There were no more than 50 people in the place, a few 'drag queens' (well, they were attempting to perform, anyway), and no Katherine Lynch. At this point I was pretty drunk and it was getting late, we decided there was no point making the trip back to Warwick and ended up in the Stage Door.

Galway Community Pride's handling of the night was a disgrace. Members of the organisation should have showed up to the Blackbox the following day in order to offer refunds. I've tried e-mailing them but with no luck.

I'm willing to get over E15, but the principle is really bugging me.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Fancy That

Hi there...I was also at Galway Pride at the weekend. We went to the Warwick. Sorry to hear your night was a let down.

So the story goes...there were 2organisers this year..Galway community and Brod West...the latter organiser bn in serious money difficulties hence the reason black box and katherine lynch was a no show. The Warwick was organised by galway community which is a total seperate organisation.

So to cut a long story short looking for a refund or expecting galway community pride to show up next day is a waste of time as they are a completely seperate and nothing to do with black box.

Good job you didnt show Friday night...black box had to be shut and the 10 odd people in it told go elsewhere.....:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭rainbowdrop

Myself and a few of my friends were supposed to be going to Galway Pride as well, but when we heard about the '2 different Prides', we didn't bother. We heard that it was originally one Pride, but that there were disagreements, and that everyone split into 2 'camps' (pardon the pun:pac:). Is this true, or what was the exact story?

It's a shame; the GLBT community should be standing together, not splitting into factions. Sounds like it ruined what could have been a great weekend.

I know it was a few months ago, but was anyone at Cork Pride? A great week of events, organised by ONE Pride committee, the highlight of which was a parade on the Sunday attended by 3000 people from all over Ireland. The perfect weather helped too. :cool:

That's what Galway should be aiming for imo, fighting amongst themselves will kill it off eventually!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭shoegirl

In all honesty, from what i've read of this situation on other sites, I think the lesson needed to be learned the hard way in Galway. And as an example to what people taking up community positions as part of a personal agenda does to the community - as a warning to how destructive it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭boredboard

I'd pay €15 if it guaranteed Katherine Lynch would not show up....ever

Advertisement