Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aldi Free-to-Air (FTA) Satellite System €70 from Sunday 30th. August.

• 26-08-2009 12:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭

Aldi now have their own FTA satellite system on sale as a special buy from Sunday 30th. August: http://aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/2827_10250.htm
    Free-to-Air Satellite System each €69.99

Digital free-to-air system that can store up to 4,000 TV channels.

* 45cm satellite dish
    * Auto/manual tune and store
    * Now and next guide where broadcast
    * Multi-picture browsing
    * Picture zoom
    * Teletext as broadcast
    * Remote control operated
    * Wall mount and fixings
    * Single universal LNB with weather boot
    * 10m RGS cable (with cable clips and 2 F twist-on connectors)
    * Satellite finder and compass
    * User guide set up
    * Self assembly required

These are special offers (same as Lidl), first come first served. So if you don't get there early they'll probably be sold out.

FTA systems offer hundreds of channels for no monthly fee, just the cost of installation, or you can DIY and self-install. With no monthly payment, there's huge long term savings over the pay monthly satellite services such as SKY, and cable services like, NTL/Chorus, UPC.

More info on the satellite forum: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=55
    and the Lidl/ALdi Satellite Box thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055570579

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭bazwaldo

Just one thing to note. Afaik, a 45cm dish may not pick up Astra2 in all areas of Ireland. A 60cm dish is much better. Maplins do bundle deals too with bigger dishes.

Don't take this as gospel. Just beware before you buy to read up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭ongarite

Agree with bazwaldo, a 45cm dish is too small to pick up all stations reliably in all weather conditions for the Astra 2 footprint over Ireland.
    The standard size for Sky dish in Ireland is 60cm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Irishpimpdude

I have a sky dish if i just hook the box up to it will i get FTA channels on the sky satellite ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭mark renton

What stations will the dish pick up?? Sports/Movies ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭ongarite

I have a sky dish if i just hook the box up to it will i get FTA channels on the sky satellite ?

Yes, that will work.
    TBH, you would be better getting an official Freesat box for that price from UK which has its own EPG and 7-day guide.
    john47832 wrote: »
    What stations will the dish pick up?? Sports/Movies ??
    No free sports stations on Astra 2. You will get Film4 and some other smaller movie stations FTA.
    You can get all the BBC & ITV, C4 stations and some music stations FTA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

The FTA systems won't receive the Irish channels, because they are not free to air. To get RTE1 and 2, TV3 and TnaG you can use an normal or amplified indoor antenna (bunnys ears), or an attic/roof aerial. Amplified (plug-in) antenna that can pick up the Irish channels, in most areas, are available in Maplins and Argos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166 ✭✭mgadget

Likely to sell out in which case there is a system available from Powercity for €85. I've had it installed over a year and its a good 'un, All the UK free to air channels. It has the 60cm dish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭mark renton

Is there any legal way I can get sky sports/movies without paying for it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

I currently have nothing but the rabbit ears in my roomWhat would i need for this to work?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭bazwaldo

Go to the pub and order and glass of tab water while a match is on.
    naughtb4 wrote: »
    I currently have nothing but the rabbit ears in my roomWhat would i need for this to work?

Everything is included to get FTA channels. 1) install dish 2) connect with cable to STB 3) Attach sat finder to find astra 2 4) connect stb to TV via scart. (You might need a scaft cable)

Look at the satellite forum for details on how to install, or youtube etc..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,926 ✭✭✭Soarer

Be sure and let me know if you ever get thaat sorted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,967 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

OMG look at the state of Power Citys website :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

bazwaldo wrote: »
    Everything is included to get FTA channels. 1) install dish 2) connect with cable to STB 3) Attach sat finder to find astra 2 4) connect stb to TV via scart. (You might need a scaft cable)

Look at the satellite forum for details on how to install, or youtube etc..

Yeah thats true, my post about the bunnys ears is only to get RTE etc.... you still need the FTA box to get the other satellite channels. So, for example, my set up is I get hundreds of FTA satellite channels and BBC, ITV and C4, via FTA box using a scart cable (as above). Then I get RTE, TV3 and TnaG using an amplified antenna plugged directly into the back of the TV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Skud

theres some german channel called sky sport that you can get, shows premier league matches. Not sure how many etc but alot of the streams online use it. Not sure if it on this either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Whats the picture quality like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

any "naughty" channels?? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,336 ✭✭✭✭Tony

If you would like to get an idea of whats involved fitting one of these heres a video I made which may help, useful info starts about 2 mins in. I also agree that 45cm is too small for Astra 2 in Ireland but good value for a receiver even if you do not use the dish. You will get a picture but it may start breaking up when it rains as this attenuates the incoming signal

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Anyone know where you can get the best value in a High-Def FTA sat box?

Doesn't the BBC already broadcast some HD FTA channels?

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 216 ✭✭steamboat

FTA Channels and tuning guide here (thanks to Paddy C)
    Anyone know where you can get the best value in a High-Def FTA sat box?Doesn't the BBC already broadcast some HD FTA channels?

Only a couple of HD channels, just BBC HD and ITV HD I think - they don't broadcast all the time either. IMO not really worth getting a HD STB yet, but the humax foxsat boxes seems to be all th rage at the moment if you're thinking of getting one. Check them out the richersounds site. The Satellite forum is a great resource for more info

+1 There was mention of a Freesat HD box from Argos in the North I think for 67 stg on the satellite forum

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭RLJ

Oracle wrote: »
    Then I get RTE, TV3 and TnaG using an amplified antenna plugged directly into the back of the TV.
    What brand/cost is the amplified antenna and what is the picture like? I tried one from woodies and it was useless. It was amplified in that it was plugged into the power as well as the TV but pict was rubbish. can you suggest one? Thanks

Tony wrote: »
    +1 There was mention of a Freesat HD box from Argos in the North I think for 67 stg on the satellite forum

Cheers, Argos in the North do indeed have a Bush HD Freesat box for £67.39

A quick Google suggests it's reasonably good, although some say the SD picture is not as good as that from a Skybox but the HD picture is excellent.

Might pick one up when I'm up north next but no rush with the limited channels available.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Montyman

bazwaldo wrote: »
    Just one thing to note. Afaik, a 45cm dish may not pick up Astra2 in all areas of Ireland. A 60cm dish is much better. Maplins do bundle deals too with bigger dishes.

Don't take this as gospel. Just beware before you buy to read up.

Anyone know if a 45cm dish will work in Sligo first time trying freeview so think its best to not spend to much in case i mess it up........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭joe250

Do-more wrote: »
    Anyone know where you can get the best value in a High-Def FTA sat box?

Doesn't the BBC already broadcast some HD FTA channels?

I have a Metabox Combo which gives Irish Channels and satellite channels.
    Not to expensive for what you receive.
    I purchased for Here with delivery in 2 days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭denat

joe250 wrote: »

Interesting equipment. Any bricks/mortar shop in Ireland selling this product or equivelant? If not, why not? They would make a killing on this.

Yes Freesat.ie sell the mvision combo http://www.freesat.ie/index.php?cat=HD_receivers1

joe250 wrote: »

Jaysus 2 days for delivery and the seller is in Waterford like yourself Joe! :rolleyes:

That wouldn't be your ebay listing by any chance Joe?

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭joe250

Do-more wrote: »
    Jaysus 2 days for delivery and the seller is in Waterford like yourself Joe! :rolleyes:

That wouldn't be your ebay listing by any chance Joe?

No not my listing.
    Parcel was sent from the UK.That,s why it was 2 day delivery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭redtom

Will this Aldi box work in an apartment complex with a communal dish? i.e. I don't have my own dish, but I have a feed in the wall that comes from the communal dish - could I connect the Aldi box to that and get anything? I'd have no control over dish alignment or anything.

• Advertisement

Yes if the feed is working it should pick up whatever free channels the dish is pointing at.

redtom wrote: »
    Will this Aldi box work in an apartment complex with a communal dish? i.e. I don't have my own dish, but I have a feed in the wall that comes from the communal dish - could I connect the Aldi box to that and get anything? I'd have no control over dish alignment or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 cfriel2002

Installing FTA systems and getting internal coax cabling working, anyone know of any company in south dublin doing a good job on this sort of thing.....without costing the earth....could do it myself ..... but don't want to spend a saturday falling off the shed roof..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭wait4me

Give Tony ^^^^ a call!

Thanks for the mention but unfortunately we only fit our own systems because of warranty issues.

wait4me wrote: »
    Give Tony ^^^^ a call!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Irishpimpdude

Just incase anyone missed out on this deal im selling a the one from powercity with a 60cm dish for the same price

http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=142587

Advertisement