Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Letter informing the Insurance Company the house is now rented

Options
  • 26-08-2009 1:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭

I'm renting out my house and the Letting Agent told me I should write to the Insurance Company just to let them know the house is rented. I bought a new policy yesterday and obviously told them it was rented, would it still be necessary to write to them and what's the reason? Also, what exactly would you say 'just to inform you that the house is rented'.?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,603 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Why dont you just ask the insurance company if they need it in writing? Seems the obvious answer to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Renting out the property could be seen as a greater risk and under uberrimae fidei you need to tell your insurer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭RebelGirrrl

I did tell them that the house was rented when I was taking out the policy though, is the letter still necessary?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

I did tell them that the house was rented when I was taking out the policy though, is the letter still necessary?

its an insurance company. if you have to claim you can be sure they will use everything in their power to avoid paying out.

send them a written letter (by registered post) confirming the verbal confirmation that the house is rented and make sure you keep a copy for yourself.

better safe than sorry

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,603 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

The insurance policy will state whether the place is either used as a PPR or as a rental property.

• Advertisement
Advertisement