Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Camera wet - beyond repair ?

Options
  • 26-08-2009 1:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭

I got 2 Sony cameras (PC120E camcorder & DSC-W5 still) wet on holiday. Canoeing accident - long story.

Allianz say that before they can consider the claim they want a certificate that the cameras are beyond repair. (They are very dead - tried a number of options to resuscitate without success)

Is a camera shop going to charge me to certify this ? I don't want to spend eur100 if I can avoid it. Thoughts on way fwd, where to go ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

banchang wrote: »
    I got 2 Sony cameras (PC120E camcorder & DSC-W5 still) wet on holiday. Canoeing accident - long story.

Allianz say that before they can consider the claim they want a certificate that the cameras are beyond repair. (They are very dead - tried a number of options to resuscitate without success)

Is a camera shop going to charge me to certify this ? I don't want to spend eur100 if I can avoid it. Thoughts on way fwd, where to go ?
    Shops are sick of providing estimates to replace goods for insurance purposes only to find that the customer eventually replaces the item from e-bay or the like. What some do is charge you a deposit amount to be deducted off the purchase price when your insurance money comes in.

Only right IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭banchang

Appreciate your point - I expect to make things easy I could go in with a preprinted page for them to stamp or sign ?

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Appreciate your point - I expect to make things easy I could go in with a preprinted page for them to stamp or sign ?

I'd be inclined to ring them first. They may have their own specific form for this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Insurers will bounce that out like a rubber ball and may make them think about further investigation of the whole situation. The whole point of getting the report is that the camera shop lends its expert advice to the extent of damage to allow the insurer consider a course of action

Advertisement