Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

M&S suit - shirt/tie question

• 26-08-2009 1:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭

Just bought one of M&S' "Outstanding Value" suits. On a very tight budget and need it for a wedding - it was very cheap and fits me quite well.

Just wondering if I should bother shelling out a few euro extra to get a nice pure silk tie and a nice shirt, or if given the price of the suit I should just stick to the value shirts and polyester ties.

I don't know if the nice tie/shirt would help finish the suit off so it doesn't look too cheap, or if it's just a waste of money and will look silly trying to match expensive up with cheap.

I went with a cheap suit because it's going to get very infrequent use, but am willing to spend a couple of euro extra if something like a high quality tie would be beneficial, and make a better appearance on its rare usage.

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Go to TK Maxx for the tie (E15 will get you a good one there, E20 for a designer one), depending on your budget you can get some half decent shirts there too. Just make sure the neck size is right. If pricewise that sounds too much, I can make other suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Deflector

Definitely get a decent shirt and tie. Indeed they will lift the suit rather than jarr with it. In fact, I'd consider them essential - they'll look good in their own right, as well as distract from the suit.

You cannot go wrong with a well fitted €40 shirt from Zara, especially with a heavy, slightly glossy fabric - it will lift your suit immeasurably. And go for a narrow tie (not skinny, not broad). Debenhams surprisingly have a great selection. Combined, these will make you look modern and well-tailored, and avoid the dreaded 'my first suit' look.

Advertisement