Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Joleon Lescott

• 26-08-2009 1:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭

Hughes said today that Lescott is "Joleon is arguably the best centre-half in the Premier League and can be potentially for many years"

That made me laugh out loud, Lescott is nowhere near that, he's not even a top 4 player, either is Toure, City have signed alot of dodgy players and i would be extremely suprised if they finished in the top 5.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,462 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

There would be a number of players I would put ahead of him, but he is a very good CB, a good solid player who i do reckon will be a good singing for them. 24million is too much, but the money doesn't matter to City, just the quality and mentality of the player they are bringing in, and Lescott is a good signing for them.

Hughes is signing the right players imo - signing players who are hungry and will fight for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

imho I think they have great buys and will finish in the top 4 . And im a United fan .

Lescott , Barry , Toure , Adebayor , Tevez and Santa Cruz can and will turn games around

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Shhh! Don't let them know that their MASSIVE signing will turn out to be an average player... Their giddiness is too funny!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

City thread is that way --->

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Stacksey wrote: »
    That made me laugh out loud, Lescott is nowhere near that, he's not even a top 4 player, either is Toure, City have signed alot of dodgy players and i would be extremely suprised if they finished in the top 5.

He's done pretty well for the last five years or so in the top four.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭AthAnRi

I think he's good. Not £24 million good. But good. What does this mean for Richard Dunne?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭A7X

Hes good but way too over priced and in my opinion not as good as Dunne.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

Stacksey wrote: »
    Lescott is nowhere near that, he's not even a top 4 player, either is Toure, City have signed alot of dodgy players and i would be extremely suprised if they finished in the top 5.
    Whatever you think about the quality of City's signings, Lescott's been a top 5 player for the last two years so it's hardly that much of a jump... and Toure's been a top 4 player for 6 seasons now or something.

As an Arsenal fan, though, I was content to see him leave - which just goes to show how silly tags like 'top 4 player' really are. Will Lescott and Toure be good signings for City? I don't know - but I'm going to wait and see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Why do people cpmplain about the price Man City are paying for players? Money is absolutely no object to their owners. If they don't care about the money why should anyone else, especially their fans? If anything its good for the league to have all this extra money floating around, the market would be dead in the current climate only for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

Not worth 24m by a long shot. he's an average player. They could have bought distin for 6m and he's quicker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭Paleface

flahavaj wrote: »
    Why do people cpmplain about the price Man City are paying for players? Money is absolutely no object to their owners. If they don't care about the money why should anyone else, especially their fans? If anything its good for the league to have all this extra money floating around, the market would be dead in the current climate only for them.

I have to disagree when you say its good for the league. Look at how this whole saga has affected Everton. They should have been pushing for a top 4 place this year and at the very least a place in Europe. I can't see either happening the way they are going!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

BERBA wrote: »
    Not worth 24m by a long shot. he's an average player. They could have bought distin for 6m and he's quicker.

City couldnt buy a three legged donkey for £6m, as soon as City are in for a player the value is automatically £10m +

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

just a very average CB

funny thing is iirc he's the 3rd dearest CB in the world

lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Distin is also approaching 32... Lescott has just turned 27. There is a lot more years left in Lescott than there is with Distin. City sold him a couple of years ago anyway!

Lescott is one of the top centre-backs in the premier league.... That goes without saying. His versatility is one of his major bonuses as well. He can play very well at left back, he is a very good centre-back... Everton also deployed him as a striker at times last season in the last 15/20 mins of games.

As an Evertonian, it is a huge loss for us. Lescott is a quality player, but we have made 19 million profit from him in 3 or 4 seasons. I didn't want him to go, but if he didn't want to play for us, then getting 24 million for him was a good deal. His head was turned by the cash. I actually think that he will have no more success with City than he did at Everton. Even with their millions, I don't see City winning the league any time soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Lescott is a very very good CB and has been for years and is a good buy for City, he might be a bit pricey but it's irrelevant. Opinions of Lescott have gone full circle in the space of 2 or 3 weeks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Alongside Given, Barry and Bridge in particular, that's another solid signing for City. Good player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

As an Evertonian, it is a huge loss for us. Lescott is a quality player, but we have made 19 million profit from him in 3 or 4 seasons. I didn't want him to go, but if he didn't want to play for us, then getting 24 million for him was a good deal. His head was turned by the cash. I actually think that he will have no more success with City than he did at Everton. Even with their millions, I don't see City winning the league any time soon.

He's better off outta everton anyway. Ye got good money for him and ye'll need it next season in the championship:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

He's better off outta everton anyway. Ye got good money for him and ye'll need it next season in the championship:D

I reckon there will be at least 3 teams worse off that us this season ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,412 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Headshot wrote: »
    just a very average CB

lol

Very average player but he is English so that doubles his value straight away due to the madness of the football market.

Bubs101 wrote: »
    Lescott is a very very good CB and has been for years and is a good buy for City, he might be a bit pricey but it's irrelevant. Opinions of Lescott have gone full circle in the space of 2 or 3 weeks

Agree. Great defender.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,462 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

so.... people think the exact same about him now as they did 2 or 3 weeks ago? Whats the problem with that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

The whole thing is quite hilarious.

Almost as funny that Ashley would probably sell the entire Newcastle first team for the same amount :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

24million is too much

not to sidetrack this, and I agree with most of what Mitch said, but 24 million is only too much if Hughes could have found an equally good or better player for less. There probably aren't any available in England (he already tried for Terry), bringing in anyone from abroad would have more of an element of risk. If Lescott helps them break the top 4 the bulk of that 24 million will have been repaid in a single year. Big clubs looking for a specific player to fill a key role are almost always going to have to pay "over the odds".

If they let Dunne go I think they will regret it though.

Headshot wrote: »
    just a very average CB

lol

Who's the third after Rio?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    Who's the third after Rio?

1. Alessandro Nesta: £32 million (Lazio to Milan)

2. Rio Ferdinand: £30 million (Leeds to Man Utd)

3. Jol Lescott: £24 million (Everton to Man City)

[4. Dani Alves: £23.5 (Sevilla to Barcelona)]

5. Lilian Thuram: £22 million (Parma to Juventus)

taken from another site. Alves obviously the only full-back in that list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Perrin

Wasn't Thuram a right back in his prime?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

1. Alessandro Nesta: £32 million (Lazio to Milan)

2. Rio Ferdinand: £30 million (Leeds to Man Utd)

3. Jol Lescott: £24 million (Everton to Man City)

[4. Dani Alves: £23.5 (Sevilla to Barcelona)]

5. Lilian Thuram: £22 million (Parma to Juventus)

taken from another site. Alves obviously the only full-back in that list.

Vidic ahead of Rio all day long

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭bantee

syngindub wrote: »
    Vidic ahead of Rio all day long

Vidic only cost United 7m so he is well behind Rio on the money list!

Perrin wrote: »
    Wasn't Thuram a right back in his prime?

Not when the transfer was made, was Cannavaro's partner at CB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Another shrewd signing by Hughes and his team.

We're building a squad of experienced Premiership players rather than those from foreign leagues who will take time to settle. Sure even our freebie Sylvinho knows the league. Fantastic idea and it has the potential to be a recipe for success.

As for the price, meh, it's loose change to these guys and if they're happy to spend it on us then who would I be to complain?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Price means feck all, Lescott is a quality defender and a good buy. City are strong everywhere now and will scare teams, next year will be there year though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

I think he's a good player, and a good buy, but if he's worth €27m, how much does that make Vidic, Ferdinand, Terry etc. worth?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Crazy cash, Hughes could have got 12 greeks for that money!!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Tom65 wrote: »
    I think he's a good player, and a good buy, but if he's worth €27m, how much does that make Vidic, Ferdinand, Terry etc. worth?

Vidic - a lot more
    Terry - a lot more
    Ferdinand - still worth SFA :D
    Vernmaelan - worth moire than the lot of em together ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Boggles wrote: »
    Crazy cash, Hughes could have got 12 greeks for that money!!! :D

We've gone Greek before, didn't go too well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭mormank

Tom65 wrote: »

i hate this idea of how much player is worth...i believe a player is worth whatever you can get for him. its supply and demand. lescott right now might not be 'worth' 24 mill but he is another bloody good signing for city.

underestimate city at your peril guys!!

just look at the ibrahimovic etoo swap for confirmation that worth isnt always what we might think it is...i.e. the best player isnt always 'worth' the most.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

Good signing for City. I think all the top 4 teams should be very worried by developments at City. Would not be surprised at all to see them push for the title this season regardless of Hughes. God knows who else they'll bring in before the window closes and again in January.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭pokerface_me

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Another shrewd signing by Hughes and his team.

We're building a squad of experienced Premiership players rather than those from foreign leagues who will take time to settle. Sure even our freebie Sylvinho knows the league. Fantastic idea and it has the potential to be a recipe for success.

As for the price, meh, it's loose change to these guys and if they're happy to spend it on us then who would I be to complain?

Its a great signing and the deal was done about 3 weeks ago, Everton asked city for time to get a replacement in, Richie Dunne refused to go back to Everton. Everton have been enquiring about John o Shea but are getting no where.

Paleface wrote: »
    I have to disagree when you say its good for the league. Look at how this whole saga has affected Everton. They should have been pushing for a top 4 place this year and at the very least a place in Europe. I can't see either happening the way they are going!

Everton did reasonably well out of the deal to be fair. Yes they're losing a very good defender, but the money they got is far and above anything any other club would or could pay for him. Moyes is a shrewd manager and he'll spend the money well. Lets face it, he would have had very little to invest in his squad if it wasn't for that sale, he can now go out and buy 3 decent players for that money and strenthen his squad. (which in turn is a cash injecton to other clubs, which is why its good for the league: its an injection of cash that stimulates a market which, between the credit crunch and the owners at the top 4 clubs tightening the purse strings, would have been stagnant otherwise). If he gets Dunne or Distin for the 4-6 million quid thats been quoted, its a great bit of business from his perspective. Everton will still be in the hunt for 5th this year, which for a club with their finances is all you would ever expect really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Perrin

Not when the transfer was made, was Cannavaro's partner at CB

Are ya sure thuram wasn't right back with cannavaro/montero/iulianio/conte/ferrara in the centre?

Much the same he was right back for france with desailly/blanc/le buef in the centre
    I thought he only made the transition to centre back when he started to lose his pace

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

a solid, if not quite top-drawer, buy imo.

to buy the 2nd best Everton defender for the 3rd highest fee in the history of world football is pretty good going.

:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

Any club selling a player to City must be laughing up their sleeves. It must be like doing business with Dr Evil:

Mark Hughes: Hello, I'd like to buy Phil Neville?
    Dr Evil: That'll be 100 million dollars :D

Its a great signing and the deal was done about 3 weeks ago, Everton asked city for time to get a replacement in, Richie Dunne refused to go back to Everton. Everton have been enquiring about John o Shea but are getting no where.

Has no price.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

:D

where did you hear this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

o'shea would suit everton down to the ground. but...

1) where did you hear it, because i'm almost 100% sure it's tosh. and;

2) there is no way in hell he'd leave utd anyway. they could enquire all they like.

he's as important as he's ever been to utd.

SlickRic wrote: »

2) there is no way in hell he'd leave utd anyway. they could enquire all they like.

Fergie thinks the world of him as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭pokerface_me

SlickRic wrote: »

Xavi will confirm my source to you privately if he knows you well, i've no idea who you guys are but if he trusts any of you he has my permission to tell you.

And as i said they are getting no where, don't think JOS would leave either.

Perrin wrote: »
    Are ya sure thuram wasn't right back with cannavaro/montero/iulianio/conte/ferrara in the centre?

Much the same he was right back for france with desailly/blanc/le buef in the centre
    I thought he only made the transition to centre back when he started to lose his pace

Yeah but at Parma it was

Buffon

Canna----Thuram

Was massively effective

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Lescott is good enough to be in my FF team....which means hes gonna have a shocker of a season! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Good signing but obviously over-priced.

Agree that City are building a very good team with bucket-loads of PL experience. They are a massive danger now and its good for the League. Liverpool or Arsenal look like the 2 that could drop out of the Top 4 very soon.

• Advertisement
Advertisement