Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History results question

Options
  • 26-08-2009 1:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭

Anyone here think their History results were lower than they should be? Everyone I know who did History had a massive drop in grade from their mocks and I feel quite dissapointed in my own result.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭ohthebaby

No I don't think was the case at all, well not in my school anyway.

The grades rewarded on the day reflected the amount of effort we put in over the year. The ones who did no work, rarely handed in essays or never bothered to even understand topics were given corresponding grades.

Those that did work however were rewarded.

So as far as I can see there were no marking problems!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 dontlikeurmam

Very disappointed and i'm not the only one. My grade was much lower than i thought and to make it worse i know two ppl who did not do much work get an A2 each!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 ally_mull

Whoever corrected mine was a f****r!!! I definitely think I deserved two grades more than what I got. It will be interesting now to see my scripts.....

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Idjit

same here ally mull...im viewing mine this friday. ive been getting As and Bs for the two years and so were alot of my classmates but when the results came out,those of us in the honours category barely passed and those of us barely passing during the years failed miserably. Someone started worrying that the projects had been misplaced and the department didnt want that info leaked out after the english paper fiasco so they compensated by guessing what we might have gotten for them, which i dont think is right but im very VERY dissapointed over my results. I poured my heart and soul into the project and i love history so much that i read the textbooks each night before going to sleep for the two years like a storybook to keep the information fresh in my mind. I cant understand how i barely scraped a pass to be honest, but i guess if not many others feel the same, i must just be wrong and got what i deserved :(

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I got a B2, very unhappy about it. I've been getting As in History since 1st year and all my essays on the day went really well. I'm viewing on Friday but in two minds about whether to get it rechecked because I already have my place in uni.

My friend also got a B2 and she was definitely an A1 candidate, but then again girls who were absolute wasters and did nothing (Not even their research topics) managed to pass HL. The grades in my school were crazy and didn't reflect any of the students' work.

• Advertisement

Now im anxious about the recheck on friday...Must...check..history...first...I'm bringing my better half because hes faster with numbers and such so he'll be able to tell me if they've made a mix up..If i see something amiss and my classmates see something in common amiss, we should write the examiners and tell them we deserve a free appeal! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Jenroche

Yes! My son's strongest subject was always history as he has a passion for it. He wrote an amazing essay based on the battle of Beaumont-Hamel in WW1 and also felt he did a good paper on the day so was shocked to see he only got a C3. We're getting it re-checked based on the fact that his writing is bad which may have contributed to his getting a low grade, but it's interesting to see that others feel the same way about the History grade.

Jen ;->

Jenroche wrote: »
    Yes! My son's strongest subject was always history as he has a passion for it. He wrote an amazing essay based on the battle of Beaumont-Hamel in WW1 and also felt he did a good paper on the day so was shocked to see he only got a C3. We're getting it re-checked based on the fact that his writing is bad which may have contributed to his getting a low grade, but it's interesting to see that others feel the same way about the History grade.

Jen ;->

I have friends of mine who were straight A1s throughout the years.One of them was nominated History Student Of The Year. Yet that same student dropped way down in the actual exam. I've always considered history my best subject but it actually came out as my WORST in the results! I absolutely could not believe my eyes when I saw it was my worst grade. I felt so confident coming out of that exam that if I hadn't got an A, I had made a B at least...a D2! I'm gobsmacked!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭ALincoln

Guys, it's not a case of what you think you should get, it's a case of what you did get based on your performance on the day.

People often forget it, but class tests have no bearing whatsoever on your eventual Leaving Cert grade. All the A1s in the world make no difference if they're not in the actual exam. In any case, lots of factors in school can grant you A1s that you may not otherwise have achieved - more time to prepare, teacher's favourite and so on. Under exam conditions, these factors are irrelevant.

Please stop talking like you have a preordained right to high grades.
    You do not.

ALincoln wrote: »
    Guys, it's not a case of what you think you should get, it's a case of what you did get based on your performance on the day.

People often forget it, but class tests have no bearing whatsoever on your eventual Leaving Cert grade. All the A1s in the world make no difference if they're not in the actual exam. In any case, lots of factors in school can grant you A1s that you may not otherwise have achieved - more time to prepare, teacher's favourite and so on. Under exam conditions, these factors are irrelevant.

You do not.

Can't we feel that we deserved better in relation to our usual standard of work? Surely somebody who gets good grades generally and didn't do so well in an exam even though they feel it went well would question the result?

My mocks and my research topic both went very well, and I always do well in class. For that reason, I am unhappy with my result.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

Jade182 wrote: »
    Now im anxious about the recheck on friday...Must...check..history...first...I'm bringing my better half because hes faster with numbers and such so he'll be able to tell me if they've made a mix up..If i see something amiss and my classmates see something in common amiss, we should write the examiners and tell them we deserve a free appeal! :)

Bring in a calculator with you.:) You are allowed to.

That is precisely the point I'm making - the only grade you deserve is the one you get after doing the exam. You may have a right to expect it based on past results, but you get what you deserve in the Leaving Cert, and if you do a bad exam...you obviously don't deserve it.

You do not.

Lincoln you always have some issue dont you in any forum you post on the LC. These people were extremely unhappy with their result(s) and are quite right to feel agrieved and deprived. That is why the appeal system is available to such people who feel they didnt get what they deserved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

Do you get a marking scheme for the recheck upon entering the room or what's the crack?

theowen wrote: »
    Do you get a marking scheme for the recheck upon entering the room or what's the crack?

Im presuming you do so you can see how the marks were broken down for transparency.

JSK 252 wrote: »
    Lincoln you always have some issue dont you in any forum you post on the LC. These people were extremely unhappy with their result(s) and are quite right to feel agrieved and deprived. That is why the appeal system is available to such people who feel they didnt get what they deserved.

People only have the right to feel deprived if, wait for it...they were deprived. That is what the appeal system is for. So no, none of the posters have the right to feel deprived at the moment. Aggrieved maybe for missing out on an A or whatever mark they aspired to, but not deprived.

People only have the right to feel deprived if, wait for it...they were deprived. That is what the appeal system is for. So no, none of the posters have the right to feel deprived at the moment. Aggrieved maybe for missing out on an A or whatever mark they aspired to, but not deprived.

There is no need for sarcasm.

That was not sarcasm.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭english4490

getting mine checked! got a B2, there is only 2 of us in the class and other guy got a B3, both of us would be A students and we both came down a couple of grades from the pre! and when we did our pre we had not even started our last topic!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭ohthebaby

A tactic used by some of my classmates may have been the downfall of some.

They learned off essays. Loads and loads of essays. This was grand for a class test when we had a rough idea of what was coming up.

But in the LC, you're thrown often the most random questions, essays that you've never ever thought of before.

The skill of being able to answer the question that's asked, the ability to twist your information to suit your title is what's looked for, not a standard essay say on Hitler.

• Advertisement

That was not sarcasm.

This is silly and unhelpful etc etc

Ironically, the above post was the first unconstructive one in this thread.

Quit backseat modding.s

Ironically, the above post was the first unconstructive one in this thread.

Quit backseat modding.s

Well played. On topic, I don't think your grade can go up that much in history, the marking scheme is fairly accurate really:rolleyes:

ohthebaby wrote: »
    A tactic used by some of my classmates may have been the downfall of some.

They learned off essays. Loads and loads of essays. This was grand for a class test when we had a rough idea of what was coming up.

But in the LC, you're thrown often the most random questions, essays that you've never ever thought of before.

The skill of being able to answer the question that's asked, the ability to twist your information to suit your title is what's looked for, not a standard essay say on Hitler.
    See this is one of the things that annoys me the most. I've never learned off essays and people always assume that you did if you're unhappy with your result

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

phasers wrote: »
    See this is one of the things that annoys me the most. I've never learned off essays and people always assume that you did if you're unhappy with your result

It was a hypothetical generality, not an accusation. And in any case, would you really rather people assumed you just weren't good enough at dealing with material spontaneously?

It was a hypothetical, not an accusation. And in any case, would you really rather people assumed you just weren't good enough at dealing with material spontaneously?
    I was just speaking in general really, not directly at that poster. Even when I was talking about it with friends or classmates, they kept saying that learning off essays is risky and they'd never do it and generally being condescending.

...And by assuming I learned off essays, they are assuming that I wasn't good enough at dealing with material spontaneously.

I had to learn off essays in my case, left it two months before hand to study for history. No homework over the 2 years really fecks you up in history. So that's the only situation I'd semi recommend it; got a b3 which is a bit meh

I suppose you're right. I guess I'm just looking for ways to excuse my drop in grade so I don't have to blame myself and feel guilty for it. But I still plan to check my papers just in case there was a mistake.

• Advertisement
Advertisement